Saints loss and fundamental football

oldmanfan

2 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

He is running full speed - I don’t think he could just stop.  He realized how early he was and did not want a penalty.

Yeah just rewatched.  Was there a bit early but does that excuse lowering your head to where you can't see anything?

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I think he was expecting the receiver to head out of bounds and that was his attempt at a tackle.  Problem was he got there just a bit early and the receiver saw daylight.

All of these takes are incorrect. Diggs momentum towards the sideline stopped when he went up for the ball and the guy just flat out misjudged where the point of impact would be. 

The only movement he makes is lowering his head and shoulder. He never changes direction to avoid hitting the receiver. He misjudged the point of impact when the receiver jumped up. 

26 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Happens more than it should because the rules have FORCED DBs to adjust their TGTs lower to avoid head

That's exactly what I thought about the play - avoid DPI or Defenseless Receiver.

If either of those are called (esp DPI), then the vikings are kicking for the win again.

Edited by dulles

1 minute ago, SDS said:

I was wondering why the DB's were playing short. They needed 20 yards. Even if the DB make a good play Diggs likely catches it and gets out of bounds. 

There was a Bills game a while back, can't remember which game but similar situation. The opposing team needed like 10 yards for a fg attempt and we had the DB's in off coverage and gave them the easy catch. They kicked fg and won. Dumb coaches. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Yeah just rewatched.  Was there a bit early but does that excuse lowering your head to where you can't see anything?

Absolutely not, but watching him trying to slow down and get in position to make the tackle and not hit him early - I think his body got messed up - his head was up as he was getting there, but he should not have ducked his head totally.

Again it was a split second thing and the way the timing was off for him - I just think he blew it bad.

I just do not think it was a sign of anything - just something that happened at the worst time for that player.

I will blame the coaches for not having a better deep coverage available.  I think overall the coaches should get a bunch of blame, but that poor kid is going to get crucified by the fans for that play and he probably deserves a bunch of it.

15 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I was wondering why the DB's were playing short. They needed 20 yards. Even if the DB make a good play Diggs likely catches it and gets out of bounds. 

There was a Bills game a while back, can't remember which game but similar situation. The opposing team needed like 10 yards for a fg attempt and we had the DB's in off coverage and gave them the easy catch. They kicked fg and won. Dumb coaches. 

Dallas monday nighter?

20 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

That's exactly what I thought was going to happen.   Saints pretty much only needed to defend the sidelines 25 yards downfield and that's exactly where they let Diggs catch it.

17 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

MIA last year?

52 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think it was more of  move to prevent hitting him early and taking a PI penalty. The timing of the hit was off.

Bingo!  I agree.  A PI there and Minny wins with field goal.  Go easy on the DB, he was reacting in 1/100th of a second.

Cant defend poor tackling.  If i had to guess, he was in the mindframe that Diggs was going to duck out of bounds for a FG attempt scenario, didnt even consider an effort for TD? Baffling to say the least.  Heads up play by Diggs, i think alot of WRs wouldnt have had the awareness to continue the run, and been focused on stopping clock

34 minutes ago, SDS said:

All of these takes are incorrect. Diggs momentum towards the sideline stopped when he went up for the ball and the guy just flat out misjudged where the point of impact would be. 

The only movement he makes is lowering his head and shoulder. He never changes direction to avoid hitting the receiver. He misjudged the point of impact when the receiver jumped up. 

Agreed 100%

misread it, and then compounded with reckless form and then got unlucky enough to hit his teammate 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

A top 10 for 43 years for my watching, even if I had zero interest in who won the game 

I've been watching pro football for a long time also.  This was one of the few games where my jaw just dropped.  I thought the game was over and almost turned it off because I thought the Saints had the game won.  Glad I stuck around.

I feel bad for the safety though.......his career with the Saints may be over.