Saints loss and fundamental football

oldmanfan

1 minute ago, Ol Dirty B said:

This is the truth. But whatever let's do whatever we can to take away from a team that destroyed us, made it further in the playoffs and lost on a fluke play to point out some conceived positive.

The whole basis of the thread is just whacked in my opinion 

The basis , since I started it, is that the guy lost the game for his team because of a fundamentally terrible attempt at a tackle.  And that out DBs did well overall.

i am not taking away anything from them.  They had a great year, beat the tar out of us.  But that attempt at a tackle was pitiful and it's something iur DBs did pretty well overall.

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Not about early. About where they can TGT the WRs. DBs are moving their aimpoint lower because of the head shot flags 

the refs had nothing to do with this guys brainfart.  neither did the rulebook.  These guys were mugging the WRs all  night.  

You think this guy went to the sideline and thumbed through the rulebook before that play and laid off?

Edited by Mr. WEO

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I don't think you saw the play based on your comments.  He lowered his head to the point where he could not have even seen the guy he was trying to hit.  He missed him by a mile.

I saw the play. It was your typical DB going for a big hit going at the normal hip area. Didnt see the ball high or diggs jump

3 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Nothing wrong with going low but just need to stay in control

True. Its a bad out of control play. But was just explaining why you see the diving more. Wish i would see more Rugby tackles (lead with chest) best way to protect your own head 

Edited by MAJBobby

Just now, MAJBobby said:

I saw the play. It was your typical DB going for a big hit going at the normal hip area. Didnt see the ball high or diggs jump

He didn't see it because his head was so far down he couldn't see anything.

Fundamental football: See what you hit

25 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Saints lose in the last play because a DB lowers his head and throws a shoulder instead of actually tackling a guy.

One thing I liked about our D: the DBs played good fundamental football.  Wrapped up on guys.

I don’t think so - he has been making good tackles throughout the game.  

Looked like he realised he was early and and was trying to avoid him to prevent the DPI.

This is why you make DPI a spot foul.  If it was only 15 yards they go for the interference every time.

I am sure during the time-out the coaches stressed no PI and just tackle them in bounds.  The ball hung and he got there early - could not have PI - so ducked and in a terribly unlucky play took out his only other defender.

I think it was a bad play and be bad luck, but that was not him trying to hit the WR like that.

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

the refs had nothing to do with this guys brainfart.  neither did the rulebook.  These guys were mugging the WRs all  night.  

You think this guy went to the sideline and thumbed through the rulebook before that play and laid off?

No but do you think these guys havent trained to lower their aimpoints from the past?

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

I don’t think so - he has been making good tackles throughout the game.  

Looked like he realised he was early and and was trying to avoid him to prevent the DPI.

This is why you make DPI a spot foul.  If it was only 15 yards they go for the interference every time.

I am sure during the time-out the coaches stressed no PI and just tackle them in bounds.  The ball hung and he got there early - could not have PI - so ducked and in a terribly unlucky play took out his only other defender.

I think it was a bad play and be bad luck, but that was not him trying to hit the WR like that.

I don't agree.  He just lowered his head to the point he. Couldn't see the guy and five at him.  Missed by a mile.  Would have been better to slow up wait and hold the guy up right there.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Just watched the play.  Holy crap, was the safety (who inexplicably ducked like he was trying to dodge a bullet on the streets of New Orleans or something) trying to go for the INT there?  Talk about a brain fart...

I think he was expecting the receiver to head out of bounds and that was his attempt at a tackle.  Problem was he got there just a bit early and the receiver saw daylight.