Does the Jags performance against Pittsburgh change your evaluation of the Bills roster?

LA Grant

15 hours ago, jr1 said:

I think the Steelers were way overconfident. Tomlin was making calls to help Wilks get a job etc 

There can be no question.  Comments about where they'd play the Patriots*** etc. 

They were looking past the Jags and they paid for it.

I'm not sure what is meant by "Tomlin making calls to help Wilks get a job etc"

39 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Bortles didn't outplay big Ben.

Did you even watch the game?

215yds 1td 0int is not outplaying 469tds 5td1int

Bortles had a fumble his team recovered, Ben lost his (albeit for a TD) when he got smashed between Dareus and another player and it came flying out.

In no way did bortles outplay Ben.

Bortles has a 21-0 lead out the gate.  

He didnt need to “outplay” Big Ben.     He made winning plays when needed, good for him.   

13 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Proves that we have MUCH better coaching than the Steelers.  Numerous miscues by the Steelers: (1) TWO times on 4th and 1, got "cute" and failed to convert; (2) kicking an onside kick when it made zero sense to do so; (3) not kicking the FG, letting the clock run to 1 second; and then (4) with one second left, not trying an onside w/ laterals, etc.  Instead kicking it right to Jax.  

Fraizer is a MUCH BETTER DC than Butler also.  Butler took an entire half to realize that to stop Jags running game you need a safety in the box.  It's like he realized this at halftime.  Did they watch tape of the Bills game.  Seems like the Steelers were looking ahead to next week.  MCD would not let that happen.  

That is 100% Todd Haley.  Not only is he a maverick about going for it on 4th, he's evidently enrolled in the Darrell Bevell School of Playoff Game Play Calling.

It's one thing to embrace analytics about your chances when going for it on 4th down, it's another to be stupid about what plays you call.

I think you could place a lot of the responsibility for the Steelers loss directly on his shoulders.  Add in that apparently he is so abraisive and unable to build rappore with his star QB that Big Ben felts the need for an intermediary to communicate with Haley on the sideline (and Tomlin agreed) and I think Haley is going to be shown the door.

36 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

I just think it makes the guys look funny who claimed "any random QB" could beat Jacksonville.  :lol:

Now that is Truth.  But of course what they mean is, any random QB could beat Jacksonville *given the way our defense performed that day*.

That's not true either, but it's closer to being a valid point. 

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Now that is Truth.  But of course what they mean is, any random QB could beat Jacksonville *given the way our defense performed that day*.

That's not true either, but it's closer to being a valid point. 

Yeah.

And Jacksonville's defense (even in the Bills game) is a better defense than some people have given it credit for being.   When they are on, they are very, very good.   They aren't totally consistent to their detriment.   But, when they show up, they are very good.  So good, that even top NFL quarterbacks can struggle against them.

Here's to hoping they demolish the Patriots.   Go JAGS!

50 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

My feeling on the Bills roster is largely the same. We lack talent in a lot of places. The Bills were prepared, played hard and won games when they had a chance. I like the coaching staff. The Bills have a lot of assets to improve but I don’t think that their roster is very good.

Does anyone understand the daily limit to the number of reactions?  How does that work?  But I digress...

The Bills D coaches did a fantastic job of scouting and game prep for Jacksonville.  They also had our guys thoroughly prepared and they played over their talent level in some instances.  It didn't make me feel better about our roster because given a similar game plan where we "sold out" big time to shut down one aspect of the game, better QB than Bortles would have cut us to shreds.

Having read several analyses of the O game plan, I felt better about the Bills O preparation...but I do think at several key points, Dennison got too cute by getting away from what the roster he had could actually execute, and execute well.  That was also one of Chan Gailey's flaws and if it can't be reined in by the HC, it has to move on.  So even with being educated about what was called and why it could have worked, I didn't feel the same about the coaching on the O, and pleased that McDermott decided to move in a different direction

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

1 minute ago, PolishDave said:

Yeah.

And Jacksonville's defense (even in the Bills game) is a better defense than some people have given it credit for being.   When they are on, they are very, very good.   They aren't totally consistent to their detriment.   But, when they show up, they are very good.  So good, that even top NFL quarterbacks can struggle against them.

Here's to hoping they demolish the Patriots.   Go JAGS!

Jacksonville's D appears to be Truth, and actually that made me feel worse about our roster.

We are a long way from having an offensive roster that can stand up to a top D.

15 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Nope.  The Bills sold out completely to stop the run and, in that game, Bortles could not make them pay.  That does not mean that their defense is good.  Indeed, without the turnovers they got this year, this defense is bottom 1/3 of the NFL.

And yet the Steelers let Fournette run all over them while giving up 45 points. Was that better?

22 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Bortles has a 21-0 lead out the gate.  

He didnt need to “outplay” Big Ben.     He made winning plays when needed, good for him.   

Yes.

Good for him.

He didn't outplay big Ben.

The jags as a whole outplayed the Steelers.

Big difference.

16 hours ago, LA Grant said:

Does the fact that we lost to a team that made it to the AFC Championship Game change your opinion of our roster at all?

Or is every game such a case-by-case basis that you'd feel the same, even if Pittsburgh had blown out the Jags?

I'm looking at the fact that the Steelers offense had their way against the Jags D.  And we scored 3 points.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I'm looking at the fact that the Steelers offense had their way against the Jags D.  And we scored 3 points.

To me, the Steelers offense did not play a great game.  The majority of their points and yards came on 4th downs out of desperation to keep the game close.  These are situations that most coaches are not going to gamble on in the regular season.  They had to do it in the playoffs however.  Also, outside of one of the 4th down conversions to Brown, the Jags had some confusion going on in their coverage on those 4th downs.  The one to Bryant was egregious.  Barry Church just stood there like a brick staring at I have no idea what.  But he left his other players out to dry allowing Bryant to get over the top for the TD.  It was terrible awareness by Church.

The other TD to Brown was on a regular down and distance play to where Brown just made a play.  Honestly, I thought it was offensive pass interference but it's whatever.  To me the first half and most of the game the Steelers offense was sluggish and played the desperate game because they had to but that doesn't mean their offense "had their way" nor "played well."

5 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

To me, the Steelers offense did not play a great game.  The majority of their points and yards came on 4th downs out of desperation to keep the game close.  These are situations that most coaches are not going to gamble on in the regular season.  They had to do it in the playoffs however.  Also, outside of one of the 4th down conversions to Brown, the Jags had some confusion going on in their coverage on those 4th downs.  The one to Bryant was egregious.  Barry Church just stood there like a brick staring at I have no idea what.  But he left his other players out to dry allowing Bryant to get over the top for the TD.  It was terrible awareness by Church.

The other TD to Brown was on a regular down and distance play to where Brown just made a play.  Honestly, I thought it was offensive pass interference but it's whatever.  To me the first half and most of the game the Steelers offense was sluggish and played the desperate game because they had to but that doesn't mean their offense "had their way" nor "played well."

I saw Brown getting held for about 15 yards before catching a perfectly thrown TD pass; no idea how you saw OPI.  Teams don't score 42 points just because they play with desperation.

Pittsburgh's offense absolutely had their way and they absolutely played well.  Questionable playcalling (passing on 4th and 1) and an absolutely idiotic call for an onside kick led to the Steelers losing.

Regardless.  They put up 42 on a team which, 8 days ago, we put up 3.  That means three things to me:  the Steelers offense is awesome; the Bills offense is putrid; and the Jax defense is vulnerable.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I saw Brown getting held for about 15 yards before catching a perfectly thrown TD pass; no idea how you saw OPI.  Teams don't score 42 points just because they play with desperation.

Pittsburgh's offense absolutely had their way and they absolutely played well.  Questionable playcalling (passing on 4th and 1) and an absolutely idiotic call for an onside kick led to the Steelers losing.

Regardless.  They put up 42 on a team which, 8 days ago, we put up 3.  That means three things to me:  the Steelers offense is awesome; the Bills offense is putrid; and the Jax defense is vulnerable.

I'll disagree on them playing well.  I've seen them play a lot better.  Anytime you are getting stopped and having to go for it on 4th down, throwing up prayers, to me that's not playing well.  But we'll disagree on that.  But where we do agree, the Bills offense is putrid.  I don't think it's because we only put up 3 points against the Jags.  I take each game as its own individual thing but then all games as a collective.  The Bills offense was just putrid all season, not just against the Jags.  The Steelers offense most of the season was awesome.  The Jags defense displays vulnerability at times but just because they had breakdowns against the Steelers does not mean they would have had them vs the Bills, neither does it mean they will continue to have them all it means is they had some breakdowns yesterday.

They will get cheated this coming Sunday so they'll be at home with the rest of us.

49 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I'll disagree on them playing well.  I've seen them play a lot better.  Anytime you are getting stopped and having to go for it on 4th down, throwing up prayers, to me that's not playing well.  But we'll disagree on that.  But where we do agree, the Bills offense is putrid.  I don't think it's because we only put up 3 points against the Jags.  I take each game as its own individual thing but then all games as a collective.  The Bills offense was just putrid all season, not just against the Jags.  The Steelers offense most of the season was awesome.  The Jags defense displays vulnerability at times but just because they had breakdowns against the Steelers does not mean they would have had them vs the Bills, neither does it mean they will continue to have them all it means is they had some breakdowns yesterday.

They will get cheated this coming Sunday so they'll be at home with the rest of us.

I think the Pats* are going to destroy them.  But I've been wrong about more games this postseason, than right.  So I hope I'm wrong!

Edited by Gugny
  • Haha (+1) 1

No; on any given day, etc....

There are just too many instances of the Bills losing, being beaten, failing, etc., when they were in a position to wn a the game.  There must be some excellent players/coaches in the Bills organization, but it appears they are not in key positions nor willing to bring it at a 100% level every down.

Edited by Keukasmallie

Sometimes teams style of play match up in weird ways almost person to person. Our defense completely sold out on the run to stop Fournette and had nobody to stop Bortles when he couldn't figure out where to throw so he ran and hard large swath's of defenderless territory ahead of him. They are a great pass defense and we couldn't pass anyways so we only passed enough to keep them honest until they buckled down and finally slowed down our run in the second half. One week later Roethlisberger almost throws for 500 yards and 5tds against them in an uncharacteristic shootout. On paper it doesn't make any sense if you break down individual matchups person to person is where the game can swing. They couldn't cover Antonio brown. Steelers couldn't stop Fournette. So to say that our defense is great because we stopped fournette and held them to 10 points is not an accurate statement. We were one defensive player short of stopping them all game and it allowed Bortles to run all over us.