I hope this weekend finally kills the "build an offense around Tyrod" nonsense.

2 hours ago, twoandfourteen said:

For months, we've heard...

"You can win with Tyrod!" 

"Scheme an offense around Tyrod!" 

"Tyrod is better than like, 20 other QBs!"

After watching frequent punchline Blake Bortles today duel it out with all-time great Ben Roethlisberger, I really honestly want to see that stuff end. It's not really a local thing anymore, but the national media narrative -- especially the criticism and insinuations, if not outright accusations, of racism regarding the Bills and Western New York concerning Tyrod Taylor's time here have no basis in fact or reality. 

Even Blake Bortles is capable of playing at an entirely different level than Taylor is. 

The final 4 quarterbacks playing next week are Brady, Bortles, Foles and likely Keenum. Nothing makes sense anymore.

2 minutes ago, McBean said:

100% spot on.

You got clueless John Clayton coming on WGR every Thursday talking like Taylor is Joe Montana even though he hasn’t watched a game of his in 3 years...just looks at his inflated bs numbers. Then, the hack Mike Schoop pulls the race card saying that has a lot to do with it.

Fact: Taylor hit the open market last year and nobody else bought his BS asking price.

Our passing game is horrendous, teams constantly stack the box because they aren’t scared of TT, and he refuses to throw to receivers.

The real McBean will show me a lot this offseason and it starts with getting rid of #5 ASAP.

:lol:

You should figure out what a fact is. What you just said is not a fact. It's not even an opinion. It's patently false.

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Yes   I hope it will happen because Tyrod is not the answer 

No one thinks he is. But he's likely the veteran QB on the roster for our 1st round rookie's first year.

14 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

I know.    That Steelers team didn’t have Joe Haden or Artie Burns.   

They didnt have Ryan Shazier the heart of their defense this game and that side of the ball has struggled since then.

Taylors stats from last year 15/25 228 yds 2 TD 1 int. Not seeing major difference from what Bortles did today.

Reason Bills lost last year Bell 38 carries 236 yds and 3 tds and not being able to run the ball effectively against their D.

1 hour ago, Albwan said:

I've resigned myself to the fact that they will probably roll with tt again next season.

they've started the damage control for it, first fire the oc...now the plate is set

that he was the problem, next the will sit and do nothing while all the qbs will

get signed somewhere else, then obviously they will have no shot at the 5-6

good lucking prospects in the draft, they will draft other positions i'm guessing

wr some defense players and go right back to year 4 of the  tt era.

Do you keep a statue of Eeyore on your nightstand or something?

For months, we've heard...

"You can win with Tyrod!" 

"Scheme an offense around Tyrod!" 

"Tyrod is better than like, 20 other QBs!"

After watching frequent punchline Blake Bortles today duel it out with all-time great Ben Roethlisberger, I really honestly want to see that stuff end. It's not really a local thing anymore, but the national media narrative -- especially the criticism and insinuations, if not outright accusations, of racism regarding the Bills and Western New York concerning Tyrod Taylor's time here have no basis in fact or reality. 

Even Blake Bortles is capable of playing at an entirely different level than Taylor is. 

Could be.

But aside from that watching this weekend's games, can we acknowledge we don't have WR who can repeatedly make the catches we're seeing?

20 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

No one thinks he is. But he's likely the veteran QB on the roster for our 1st round rookie's first year.

Honestly you don't think him getting benched is a serious sign? I'm not saying anything is set in stone but if you follow the clues it doesn't look good.

It leads me to ask why would they desperately bench him for a rookie if they had him in the future plans. That was as big of a white flag moving on to next season as you can get.

I don't think walking away from a playoff game with 3 points would persuade those in charge to think differently.

Edited by Lfod

1 hour ago, Lfod said:

I get the sentiment of wanting to build around Tyrod when we snuck into the playoffs. Then we lost 3 to 10. Doesn't matter anyway his time was over when he got benched.

Tyrod was only out there because there was no other option. Even with a chance at redemption he choked away a playoff game. I'm not living in past. His time was this year and his moment was in Jax and he failed. 

Please don't kid yourself "there was no other option"

1) they renegotiated Tyron's contract and re-signed him

2) they passed up some higher round draft choice QB

3) they passed up signing FA such as Case Keenum and Josh McCown

4) after the season started and it was crystal clear (Panthers game) that Taylor could not play in Dennison's system, they failed to take action such as trading for a QB, bringing in a bunch of FA QB, sniping guys off practice squads etc.

They may have made a mistaken decision to think Taylor was their best option and ride with him, but make no mistake - he was the option they positively chose

That doesn't mean they'll stay with him rolling forward, it just means he was the choice McDermott made last year.

28 minutes ago, Lfod said:

Honestly you don't think him getting benched is a serious sign? I'm not saying anything is set in stone but if you follow the clues it doesn't look good.

It leads me to ask why would they desperately bench him for a rookie if they had him in the future plans. That was as big of a white flag moving on to next season as you can get.

I don't think walking away from a playoff game with 3 points would persuade those in charge to think differently.

Please keep in mind the main driver in benching Taylor for a rookie may just have been shown the door.

50 minutes ago, McBean said:

Fact: Taylor hit the open market last year and nobody else bought his BS asking price. 

Can you help me understand when Taylor hit the open market last year?  'cuz Overthecap Spotrac and BuffaloBills.com say he signed his renegotiation before the start of the league year - before the "open market"

I'm not sure "fact' means what you think it means

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

39 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

The final 4 quarterbacks playing next week are Brady, Bortles, Foles and likely Keenum. Nothing makes sense anymore.

Not only that, Case Keenum just out-Brees'd Drew Brees.  What a game!

Next "nothing makes sense" point: arguably, by far the worst QB in the playoffs is Blake Bortles, the only one of the 4 drafted high in the first round.

Nick Foles: 3rd round

Case Keenum: UDFA

Tom Brady: you know

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Please don't kid yourself "there was no other option"

1) they renegotiated Tyron's contract and re-signed him

2) they passed up some higher round draft choice QB

3) they passed up signing FA such as Case Keenum and Josh McCown

4) after the season started and it was crystal clear (Panthers game) that Taylor could not play in Dennison's system, they failed to take action such as trading for a QB, bringing in a bunch of FA QB, sniping guys off practice squads etc.

They may have made a mistaken decision to think Taylor was their best option and ride with him, but make no mistake - he was the option they positively chose

That doesn't mean they'll stay with him rolling forward, it just means he was the choice McDermott made last year.

I like Tyrod Taylor a lot. I liked the idea of finding a diamond in the rough. I was intrigued by some of his natural ability. I would have given him a shot at becoming our starter. I was rooting for him. 

I wouldn't throw the blame all his way. I think every player is out there trying to give thier best for the most part and always trying to improve. Sadly not every girl will be queen of the prom. 

That is my position now. They plucked him from back up obscurity. Gave him a shot at being a starter. Tried to mold him into what the league wants in starting quarter backs.

It all ended in Jacksonville for me. (Although you must know it did slightly for me in the Panthers game.) The opportunity was right there. The red carpet was rolled out. I don't think your gonna get a better chance then that to prove your the face of the franchise.

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Lfod said:

I like Tyrod Taylor a lot. I liked the idea of finding a diamond in the rough. I was intrigued by some of his natural ability. I would have given him a shot at becoming our starter. I was rooting for him.

I wouldn't throw the blame all his way. I think every player is out there trying to give thier best for the most part and always trying to improve. Sadly not every girl will be queen of the prom. 

That is my position now. They plucked him from back up obscurity. Gave him a shot at being a starter. Tried to mold him into what the league wants in starting quarter backs.

It all ended in Jacksonville for me. (Although you must know it did slightly for me in the Panthers game.) The opportunity was right there. The red carpet was rolled out. I don't think your gonna get a better chance then that to prove your the face of the franchise.

I don't know if it will continue, but Man, the Rams are like "obscure QB launchpad".  Kurt Warner.  Marc Bulgar.  Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Nick Foles.  Now Case Keenum.

If I were Goff, I don't know how I'd feel about that.  Certainly Salty that I'm sitting on the sofa while Foles and Keenum play for the NFC Championship.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LA Grant said:

Er... what a strange conclusion. Wouldn't you think that because "even" Blake Bortles could take a team to the AFC Championship Game, so could Tyrod?

What I'd love to see end is this notion from fans that Tyrod could "never" accomplish this, that, or the other thing.

For your statement to make sense, it would mean that Tyrod was somehow as good or better than BB. He's not. 

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This thread and the logic in it, or lack thereof, is just absolutely incredible.

Nothing I said is untrue. There is a ridiculous narrative out there that Tyrod is some kind of "Super QB" being held back by incompetence and racism in Buffalo. He's not even at Blake Bortles' level. The Steelers put up 42 points today. How many games do you think Tyrod can win when the defense allows 40+?

And nothing that I just said should be taken as we should not actively try to upgrade on Tyrod. But what a joke of an argument to throw one game Bortles has that resembles several games Taylor has had as proof that Tyrod can't even live up to the play of Bortles :doh: 

Show me one game where Taylor made big, timely throws in response to the other team scoring. Where are his "clutch" moments? There were plays that BB made today to hold off Roethlisberger's charge from behind that Taylor wouldn't dare dream about. There is nothing from three years of Taylor's starts that suggests otherwise. 

22 minutes ago, Lfod said:

Exactly -- Better than I could have put it. 

If this happens several posters here are going to be on serious suicide watch 0:)

I can envision one more year with Taylor but think we're going to draft a QB in the first, probably through a trade up.

Me too. It will look a lot like the last three.... and nothing like the games we saw today. I'll pass on another year of a JV passing attack and a complete inability to score points on teams with winning records. 

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

You can keep hoping he will stay and I’ll keep hoping he’s gone.  

Hope???

I hope we find our Franchise QB this offseason. That's all I hope for regarding this team and the QB position, despite whatever you think.

All the stuff I said about TT staying is simply what I think will happen.

2 hours ago, Lfod said:

Actually no. It all depends on how everything went down, but reports seemed to be that Taylor was benched in favor of Peterman largely at the request of Dennison because Dennison thought he could run his offense much better.

Turned out, not so much. And Peterman was yanked after a half and McDermott shifted back to a "Taylor is our starter when healthy," which showed in both words and action.

And then Dennison, the guy who reportedly wanted Peterman rather than Taylor to run his offense is gone.

So no, Taylor's benching is no longer a clear sign, to me. If Dennison were retained, yes. But I think Dennison being fired is a sign the other way, if anything.

2 hours ago, Lfod said:

I think people are really overreacting to Taylor's performance in the Jags game.

Taylor was fine. Not great. But fine.

It hurts your team when your offense is so incredibly predictable as Dennison, for example, called the exact same play action bootleg to Taylor's right FIVE times in the first quarter for some reason, despite the fact that there was no pattern of success with that play against Jax, so you'd think he'd stop calling it after the 2nd or 3rd time. In the first half the Bills had a 3rd and 13, a 3rd and 10, 5 3rd and 7s, a 3rd and 6, 2 3rd and 5s, and 2 3rd and 2s and Taylor's arm and legs (and one defensive penalty) converted 50% of those 1st downs.

Taylor never should have gone with the P in the RPO but it never ever should've been an O to begin with. And Benjamin never should have pushed off. It was unnecessary. Add in a few drops, a TE who probably could have come up with a catch instead of getting it deflected and intercepted and another TE who couldn't manage to keep his feet in bounds despite a nice converted pass for first down by Taylor.

3 plays I think are completely warranted heavy criticism of Taylor:

1- Missing O'Leary for a wide open TD

2- Missing O'Leary (?) on the right instead of running 

3- Not forcing the offense up to the LOS after Clay's sideline "catch" and getting a quick snap off the way he did earlier in the game with another play I forget to beat Marrone's challenge flag.

Otherwise, Taylor was fine against maybe the most talented D in the NFL.

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This thread and the logic in it, or lack thereof, is just absolutely incredible.

Maybe you are forgetting we scored 3 points and passed for 130 yards last week ?   

3 hours ago, billieve420 said:

They didnt have Ryan Shazier the heart of their defense this game and that side of the ball has struggled since then.

Taylors stats from last year 15/25 228 yds 2 TD 1 int. Not seeing major difference from what Bortles did today.

Reason Bills lost last year Bell 38 carries 236 yds and 3 tds and not being able to run the ball effectively against their D.

Taylors stats through 3 quarters = 70 yards passing.    Congrats on the garbage time scores in case you missed the game 

Steelers were busy chuckling on the sidelines with a big lead 

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

You're the one that brought up Taylor, not me.

Apologies for following your posts for the last month.      I guess I’m in too deep.   Surely you weren’t talking about our qb  #yardsdontmatter 

Edited by Teddy KGB

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

:lol:

Just because you say this doesn't make it true. You get that, right?

I can’t believe you hopped right back on the Tyrod is our qb again horse so quickly. 

Without Dennison he will be back up to 26th ranked passing offense ??‍♂️???

Edited by Teddy KGB

Nothing I said is untrue. There is a ridiculous narrative out there that Tyrod is some kind of "Super QB" being held back by incompetence and racism in Buffalo. He's not even at Blake Bortles' level. The Steelers put up 42 points today. How many games do you think Tyrod can win when the defense allows 40+?

How many of those 45 points the Jags put up were put up by Bortles?

Honestly this thread is sheer lunacy at this point.

We watched a team QBed by Blake Bortles today get the W over a team with a guy who's going to be a 1st ballot HOFer.

We watched a team QBed by Case Keemun today get the W over a team with a guy who's going to be a 1st ballot HOFer.

We watched a team QBed by Nick Foles yesterday get the W over a team with a guy who is the reigning  NFL league MVP and seems to be on his way to the HOF himself.

The last 2 days proved it's not the better QB who wins consistently, it's the better team.

But have your fun in here. Some of you guys are just nuts :doh:

• Like (+1) 2

Actually, this weekend shows that you can make a conference championship game with a pretty mediocre QB if the rest of the team is good enough. 

Case Keenum and Blake Bortles are pretty bad QB's. Blake Bortles is significantly  worse than Tyrod at throwing the ball. Keenum is probably slightly better than Tyord at throwing the ball. 

I hesitate to put Nick Foles on that list. If Foles was starting the whole year there is no way the Eagles get a first round bye and home field advantage. That being said, I do think he's a better passer than TT.