Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

I'm curious. Was this the only guy interviewed? Who interviewed him? I'm just wondering about the timeline. This is clearly their guy, but I'm curious about the 'process' that went from, " we need to think about the OC, to 'here's our guy'." 

I'm always interested in the thought process of this kind of decision. What is it that so enamored him to OBD?

Edited by I_want_2_BILL_Lieve

3 minutes ago, I_want_2_BILL_Lieve said:

I'm curious. Was this the only guy interviewed? Who interviewed him? I'm just wondering about the timeline. I seems like this is their guy, but I'm curious about the 'process' that went from, " we need to think about the OC, to 'here's our guy'." 

I’ve hired many, many people....and sometimes if you know who you want and you can get him you jump. Now, is he the right guy? Time will tell. Don’t drag it out and fail to get your top guy. Sometimes the process is shorter than others. 

10 minutes ago, I_want_2_BILL_Lieve said:

I'm curious. Was this the only guy interviewed? Who interviewed him? I'm just wondering about the timeline. This is clearly their guy, but I'm curious about the 'process' that went from, " we need to think about the OC, to 'here's our guy'." 

I'm always interested in the thought process of this kind of decision. What is it that so enamored him to OBD?

Two of the best coaches of all-time wanted him as their OC?

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I'll take the wait and see approach. 

I like that he's worked under Belichick, who actually hired him twice. Plus, rumor had it he would've been the guy to replace McDaniels if/when he takes a HC gig.

He and McDermott go back so I'm sure that came into play with how much emphasis McDermott places on his staff all being on the same page. 

I'm not gonna worry too much about his track record as an NFL OC considering the QBs he had and the coaches he worked under. Clean slate here with McDermott.

Hopefully he can do what some other OCs have done and merge some of the college stuff with the pro stuff to make the transition from college to the pros a bit smoother for whichever QB they draft. 

Also hope he understands how to evaluate and identify what his players naturally excel at and create a system based around that. 

It doesn't hurt that he's been a part of several championship staffs and had (probably) the best ever NFL and college coach hire him.

We'll see how it goes. 

I was initially very underwhelmed with this hire last night, but I’m going to do the same. Just not enough to go on to be overly opinionated yet. Interested in finding out Qb coach and Qb. I have nothing against Brian, my initial reaction was based on what i had seen in his early OC roles. He was young then, didn’t have a QB... certainly going to give him a chance.  I do believe he’s an upgrade over Dennison. 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ve hired many, many people....and sometimes if you know who you want and you can get him you jump. Now, is he the right guy? Time will tell. Don’t drag it out and fail to get your top guy. Sometimes the process is shorter than others. 

I get that. But I guess what I'm asking is what specifically does McBeane see in the guy? What was it that made him the Choice that we had to get that guy? Saying two future hall of fame guys groomed him is good enough for me, but is it good enough for McBeane? I don't think so. Two weeks ago I doubt most here knew he existed. So was it that magical second quarter of adjustments in the Championship game? 

I'm in no way knocking the decision. Again, I just want to be a fly on the wall when this all went down. What were the points of discussion?

3 minutes ago, I_want_2_BILL_Lieve said:

I get that. But I guess what I'm asking is what specifically does McBeane see in the guy? What was it that made him the Choice that we had to get that guy? Saying two future hall of fame guys groomed him is good enough for me, but is it good enough for McBeane? I don't think so. Two weeks ago I doubt most here knew he existed. So was it that magical second quarter of adjustments in the Championship game? 

I'm in no way knocking the decision. Again, I just want to be a fly on the wall when this all went down. What were the points of discussion?

I want the same thing at times like this, but I doubt we ever get fully satisfied. I’m especially curious around draft time. EVERY YEAR. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think you hit here Augie.  This appeared to be an "If this guy is available, I want him", scenario for McD.  

He also had to swoop in quickly because there was the potential of Belichick wanting Daboll.  McD had something that Belichick couldn't offer and that's being close to Daboll's older kids.  Daboll has 6 kids (I think 2 in Orchard Park) and they appear to be a close-knit merged family.   The attraction of having them all together was probably pretty significant.  Kudos to McD for getting who he wanted and for the Pegulas for probably spending some premium coordinator money to get him.

McD will have to live with the results.  Coordinator hires are solely on the coach.   I saw a few folks post that Dennison was a strike on McD's longevity...I think they missed the part where the Bills made the playoffs.  McD has some runway but like any head coach -- he is the responsible party...

I don't know much about offensive game planning...so I will not critique the hire...I will just watch the results and hope they are great!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I am very excited about this hire.

Feel it is cutting edge and was part of the plan all along.

refreshing choice.

Great fit for this Team and McBeanes. This should be fun to see what he brings.

Go Bills !!

So hiring an OC who previously had offense's that ranked 32nd, 29th, 22nd, and 24th is cutting edge? LOL

39 minutes ago, I_want_2_BILL_Lieve said:

I get that. But I guess what I'm asking is what specifically does McBeane see in the guy? 

Everything I read suggests they are two peas from the same pod.   Smart, first-guy-in-the-building types who place a premium on preparation and organization.

These are great Belichick/Saban type traits.   What still needs to be seen is how they perform on game day when the bullits are flying.   McD had some growing pains as an in-game coach, IMO.   As Mike Tyson said, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.   

Whether Daboll learned anything in the past few years to improve from his initial OC stints will be fascinating to watch.   I think he probably did and that's why I like the hire...

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

So hiring an OC who previously had offense's that ranked 32nd, 29th, 22nd, and 24th is cutting edge? LOL

yes.

you are looking at the wrong details. Everyone has to earn their way.

Do you think Bill  kept him just because, as TE Coach while they won the SB ?

Do you think Saban brought him in just to have any ole OC while they went to the championship ?
Maybe some do not realize the game changes and the trends. well you had best try to get ahead of it.

This guy knows his world. College trends are coming btw.
Like Saban and Marrone know. The running game can succeed with a stout defense.

what do you think McD is building?

13 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

How many OC’s have been fired because of TT?  

We are on #4 with Daboll, if they keep Taylor I guarantee he ties Cutler with #5. I never thought that record would ever be broken but we are a few month away from our destiny being locked in. I would never in a million years think that a QB of Taylor's skill level would even get a chance at 2 OC's but here we are.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I was initially very underwhelmed with this hire last night, but I’m going to do the same. Just not enough to go on to be overly opinionated yet. Interested in finding out Qb coach and Qb. I have nothing against Brian, my initial reaction was based on what i had seen in his early OC roles. He was young then, didn’t have a QB... certainly going to give him a chance.  I do believe he’s an upgrade over Dennison. 

you are coming around.

patience is virtuous, when considering the process

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I actually had a more positive initial take on the hire for that reason. 

When everyone was expecting Shula because of the Panthers connection, I was skeptical we can get where we want to go as "Panthers North Annex"

I honestly might have been disappointed with Shula. sorry.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So much for assuming McD will only bring in Panthers guys.

One of my feelings about Beans and Seans is that they have a vision. Not based upon compromise. Moving on from Rick Dennison ( not a terrible Coach by any means ) was likely in the plans all along. I expect more to come over the next few seasons. A vision with strong discipline can surely be achieved.