Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

2 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

I'm sick to my stomach over this hire. Just so bad. 

Bill Bellichick disagrees...he was planning on hiring him for his OC once McDaniels leaves for a HC job...but what does he know, right?

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure if this has been posted yet...

2 ex-NFL QB's give thr low down on new Alabama OC Brian Daboll -

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2017/02/two_ex-nfl_qbs_give_the_lowdow.html

"I loved being around him," Delhomme said. "He's a fantastic X-and-O football coach.... I was lucky enough to have a pretty good background after playing for a while.  But there were still many things I learned from him, the nuances of a defense and things that I thought were fantastic."

"I always felt like I was getting better by being around him because I was acquiring more knowledge," said former quarterback Chad Pennington.

"Whether three-by-one, or two-by-two, the motion, a shift, what those things do to a defense, Brian knows that," Delhomme said. "That's what helps him as an offensive coach. Just because one thing or one scheme or one thought process worked one week doesn't mean he will implement and employ the same thought process the next," Pennington said. "He's going to be versatile and not be stubborn, saying, 'OK, we're going to do this and we're not going to care what the defense does.' They really pay attention to who they are playing against and how to attack them."

"New England's stuff is very concept driven and quarterbacks will understand concepts for each side of the field," Pennington explained. "There will be certain concepts and those concepts have certain rules. [The Patriots] have always been very good about the spacing of their routes and that everything has a rhyme and reason... I think it's a quarterback-friendly system and it gives the quarterback a chance to really show his skill-set and be the field general of the offense."

And as Delhomme said, "The best coaches put their players in a position to succeed. I think Brian is going to find out Jalen Hurts' strengths and will focus on his strengths," he continued. "Brian will make him a very cerebral quarterback. That's one thing Brian will do. This kid will feel very confident walking onto the field. [Daboll] won't sleep to make sure his players are extremely well-prepared and he does a great job of teaching to make guys want to learn."

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 5

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, for sure who you know has a big influence.  In this case, McDermott and Daboll go way back to his first job at William and Mary.

I think most supervisors and football is no exception, look at context when evaluating performance. 

Many of us as fans don't look further than the offensive performance and W-L record of the teams where Daboll was OC 6 years ago.

A few look further and say "what did he have as weapons?" look at the list of QB he worked with and how he did with them.

I think the guys who are hiring around the league look further and drill into the details of what kind of plays did he design for his guys, how did they execute relative to what they did previously and afterwards.

If no one in the NFL got additional shots after bombing their previous shot, the world would have been spared years of Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll (to say nothing of Marv Levy).

I think there's a reason we haven't seen Daboll as an OC for 5 years and it's not because he failed in his previous gigs.  He realized he needed to learn more, and he realized he needed to wait and choose his next position carefully, because if he kept accepting scraps and bombing (no matter how little he had to work with and how much he was tied to his boss) he was going to be out of work.  Belichick took him back, remember that (normally he changes the locks)

It's certainly not lack of work that brought him to Buffalo at this time - after winning the national title and unveiling a potential new star, there's no reason he couldn't have stayed at Alabama getting paid $1.2M/year and leading Tua Tagovailoa to better success.

I understand all of this, but you would assume that there are some qualified candidates who deserve their first or maybe second shot before you hire someone who has been unsuccessful 3 previous times. Could this even happen in the private sector? Would you hire someone for the exact same position that he was fired from for poor performance on 3 previous occasions? You mention Belichick, Levy and Carroll but they were not 3 time NFL HC failures when they were hired.

Maybe the fourth time is the charm but it's amazing to me that there isn't another candidate with a better track record to recommend him. It really seems like the major reason he's here is because McDermott knows him, Saban and Belichick like him, etc... old boy network stuff.

Edited by vincec

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

A few points I think people are missing:

1) Daboll is thought of VERY highly by both Bellichick and Saban who have had him on their teams multiple times. They don't hire idiots.

2) Daboll was going to be the New England OC if McDaniels were to leave for a head coaching job and WOULD have been promoted to OC LAST year when he was with NE as Tight Ends coach if McDaniels got a job as a head coach last year.  So Bellichick clearly thinks he is qualified to be an OC in the NFL.  

So for people who are down on the hire, we stole him from Bellichick more or less once McDaniels leaves. For once we out empired the evil empire.  Feel better?

i'm not trying to be difficult I'm just curious about where the bold was heard or read... is it legit? or just rumors? I honestly don't know much about the guy and the bolded is pretty promising if it can be backed up.

5 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

i'm not trying to be difficult I'm just curious about where the bold was heard or read... is it legit? or just rumors? I honestly don't know much about the guy and the bolded is pretty promising if it can be backed up.

Its definitely legit...here is one article but there are numerous other reports saying basically the same thing. This is from under 2 weeks ago...coming from a Patriot beat reporter of the Boston Herald.

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/Bolt/Report-Belichick-would-check-in-on-Daboll-if-McDaniels-leaves-113078544

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Its definitely legit...here is one article but there are numerous other reports saying basically the same thing. This is from under 2 weeks ago...coming from a Patriot beat reporter of the Boston Herald.

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/Bolt/Report-Belichick-would-check-in-on-Daboll-if-McDaniels-leaves-113078544

....whoa!!.....our rook HC who the "One & Done Gang" wants ousted pulled one over on the master himself?....blasphemy I'd say.....

1 hour ago, vincec said:

I understand all of this, but you would assume that there are some qualified candidates who deserve their first or maybe second shot before you hire someone who has been unsuccessful 3 previous times. Could this even happen in the private sector? Would you hire someone for the exact same position that he was fired from for poor performance on 3 previous occasions? You mention Belichick, Levy and Carroll but they were not 3 time NFL HC failures when they were hired.

Maybe the fourth time is the charm but it's amazing to me that there isn't another candidate with a better track record to recommend him. It really seems like the major reason he's here is because McDermott knows him, Saban and Belichick like him, etc... old boy network stuff.

Technically, I don't think Daboll has ever been fired for poor performance. I'm not sure if he's actually ever been fired at all. 

What happened in his 3 previous NFL stints is that the head coach he was working for was fired.  

Eric Mangini brought him with from New England when he got the Jets head coaching job. 

Then when Mangini was fired in NY and got the HC job in Cleveland he again brought Daboll with to be his OC.

After 2 years Mangini was fired in Cleveland and Daboll's contract was up, so he interviewed and got the OC job in Miami.

Tony Sparano was fired the following season and Daboll took the OC job in Kansas City. 

After 1 season Romeo Cremnel was fired in KC and Daboll went back to New England. 

I dont think this hire has anything to do to do with that old boys network either. McDermott and Daboll never really worked together. McD was a player in Daboll's very first year ever as a coaching intern way back in 1997. Daboll moved on to Michigan the next year, so they never worked on the same coaching staff together. Seeing as it was Daboll's first year on a coaching staff (as a 22yr old kid) I doubt McD is very familiar with him and his coaching style (as I don't think Daboll was doing all that much coaching at that point. He was probably in a typical grunt work coaching intern role breaking down film etc). 

If this was about hiring someone he knew, I'd have to believe he would have hired Mike McCoy, Rob Chudzinski or Mike Shula - all 3 currently available and all 3 McDermott has more experience working with (and much more recently too) and has a much better idea of their coaching styles and/or how they run things sinc ehe seen them in much more prominent roles than Daboll. 

With how quickly this hire happened (2 days after Dennison was fired?) I have to think that Daboll was their #1 target, and I'm guessing that's because they felt he was the most qualified for the job.

If you listen to the things Beane said the day of his year end presser recently, Daboll seems to check most of the boxes they were looking for. 

Very successful diverse power run game, designs his offense to fit the team's talent, has experience as a QB coach (at the NFL and college level) & working with young QBs, has shown he can make in game adjustments, known as a very good teacher of the game, great with X's and O's, very detail oriented and organized, known to be very good at connecting with his players, buys in to what the head coach is trying to do and delivers that message to the players, believes every player has to do their jobs well in order to have success... I could go on, but this is already long enough. lol. Let's just say that he really seems to fit the model of the Sean McDermott coaching style. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 2

I'll take the wait and see approach. 

I like that he's worked under Belichick, who actually hired him twice. Plus, rumor had it he would've been the guy to replace McDaniels if/when he takes a HC gig.

He and McDermott go back so I'm sure that came into play with how much emphasis McDermott places on his staff all being on the same page. 

I'm not gonna worry too much about his track record as an NFL OC considering the QBs he had and the coaches he worked under. Clean slate here with McDermott.

Hopefully he can do what some other OCs have done and merge some of the college stuff with the pro stuff to make the transition from college to the pros a bit smoother for whichever QB they draft. 

Also hope he understands how to evaluate and identify what his players naturally excel at and create a system based around that. 

It doesn't hurt that he's been a part of several championship staffs and had (probably) the best ever NFL and college coach hire him.

We'll see how it goes.