Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

2 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

yeah just that ExWNY ragging on people for giving an opinion.  I am nothing close to an expert in his history or what he is capable of.  But judging off his past experience in the NFL is kinda scares me.  His O's never made it out of the basement, no matter what happened.  His fault or not hes picking up a similar situation in Buffalo, what makes people so sure he will be our savior now? Seems everyone supporting is is basing it off other coaches word of mouth. Which doesnt mean much to me

Thats fine....but take a look at the particular coaches that keep hiring him.

If he was that bad.....BB wouldnt touch him.

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

1-16: Soren Petro of WHB 810 AM in Kansas City with Howard and Jeremy on Brian Daboll (10:40)

Another excellent interview with Petro going in-depth about Daboll's time in KC as the OC wrt scheme and personnel.  He also gave excellent insight into Alex Smith regarding what kind of QB he is and how much he's worth with respect to trade value/draft picks.

Wow that dude really didn't like Matt Cassell :o

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Hey why not?

The #2 and #1 receivers didn't get acquired and on the field until October and November, respectively...........it's not like they'd had the playbook for 6 months at that point like.........you know.........a team that was giving their players a "feasible" chance to have a successful passing game in a timing based pass offense.    

Tyrod still having to show KB where to lineup at times in the last few games and playoffs was not a good look.

McD and Beane share a lot of the blame for Dennison's offense but the right thing to do was stick with the Roman/Lynn playbook.   There was just no way on earth that a WCO was going to be as productive with the pieces in place.  

How do you suggest you stick with Roman/Lynn's playbook when both coaches were gone?  As much credit goes to Lynn for the 2016 offense, even he said that he would instill his own new system in the offseason, because he didn't have time to change out of Roman's.

If you want to blame somebody for not using the Roman system, blame the people who fired Roman. Rex and the Pegulas.

sorry if already posted 

bills-today-1-16-story.jpg

“I just thought he was a really, really good coach. And not just a good tight end coach, but a good coach overall,” said Chandler on the John Murphy Show. “I think he’s a guy who’s coached just about every position on offense now. He has a really good grasp of line play. He’s coached quarterbacks. Obviously, he’s coached tight ends and he’s done a lot of stuff with receivers too. He has a really good grasp of offensive football and technique. I’d expect to see him put his players in a position to succeed.”

Chandler was coached by Daboll in 2015, after spending 2010-2014 with the Bills. With the Patriots, Chandler had 23 catches, 259 yards, and four touchdowns. They only spent one year together, but that’s all it took for Chandler to gain respect for Daboll. He took to Twitterto voice his excitement about Buffalo’s newest hire.

image.thumb.png.65e8b426c8f144fdcb7299f87c1432f5.png

This 49 page whine and moan page about something you have no control over is still running strong eh? Talk about an exercise in futility.

As a virgin head coach, McDermott arguably hit on all of his coach hires except one, maybe two. An argument could be made that Dennison was not his first choice. This gives me great confidence that the odds favor him getting this hire right too. Besides I have *ZERO* control over the situation.  I will research the guy, form an opinion, and hope for the best.  That is what a fan does--hope for the best.  I think at the point you take it any further than that you are wasting time and energy. Life is short ladies, move on.

1 minute ago, simool said:

This 49 page whine and moan page about something you have no control over is still running strong eh? Talk about an exercise in futility.

As a virgin head coach, McDermott arguably hit on all of his coach hires except one, maybe two. An argument could be made that Dennison was not his first choice. This gives me great confidence that the odds favor him getting this hire right too. Besides I have *ZERO* control over the situation.  I will research the guy, form an opinion, and hope for the best.  That is what a fan does--hope for the best.  I think at the point you take it any further than that you are wasting time and energy. Life is short ladies, move on.

arguing and discussing things is the point of a message board...maybe take your own advice about life being too short and move on? 

Why else come to a message board? 

I understand they're are much bigger holes to fill, but with all the talk about Daboll focusing on TE and run game and coming from NE with Gronk...should we go after Jimmy Graham??  I'm not up on the salary situation but I think I read somewhere here that we don't really save anything by cutting Clay?

1 hour ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

Gee, doesn't sound like he's a fit does it?

"What's the new OC like? Former NFL QB Brady Quinn said Daboll "is as hard of a worker as you're going to come by. I mean, the guy eats, sleeps football. A big-time grinder.""

This to me is the most interesting part of the article

"He just had a really good grasp of how to attack teams," said Chandler, who lived next door to Daboll in New England. "He'll go into games looking at the best matchup, whether that's a running back on a linebacker, outside or inside, or slot (because) they don't think their nickel can cover well. Or you think the tight ends can get down the seam. Or they think that the running game is something that they'll able to exploit that week.

"Being in New England, teams almost always don't do what they've done all season in that game. So you're always making adjustments, significant ones, because no matter what you rep all week, going into the New England game, (the opponent's) going to do something completely different. There was one or two instances where teams came out and did what they've done (defensively) and you're rolling right away. But most of the time, it's, 'Alright, this is what they're going to do after the first two drives. This is what it looks like they're going to do today.'

"(The coaches) were always constantly having to make adjustments, and I think Brian was a big part of helping Josh see that"

17 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

How do you suggest you stick with Roman/Lynn's playbook when both coaches were gone?  As much credit goes to Lynn for the 2016 offense, even he said that he would instill his own new system in the offseason, because he didn't have time to change out of Roman's.

If you want to blame somebody for not using the Roman system, blame the people who fired Roman. Rex and the Pegulas.

Oh hell no,  McD is entirely to blame for dropping the playbook and hiring an OC who wasn't adaptive and then not giving him personnel to execute the system he could call.

Dennison was a one trick pony..........the WCO still looks a lot like it did 30 years ago.    The only chance it had of working well was getting about 150-180 targets to Sammy Watkins who Tyrod spent the entire offseason getting in sync with(that first series of the first preseason game where Tyrod hit Sammy on time 4 straight passes was the highlight of the passing game this season:lol:)

The Erhardt-Perkins offense that Daboll has been in is more adaptable to personnel and defenses.   Philosophically better for the personnel..........Daboll still has to make it work........and McD still deserves to get sh*t on for his offensive coaching/scheme choice last year.........but better late than never.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I really think that was more personnel than scheme - the Patriots have been playing Moneyball for over a decade now - they figured out that scatbacks and undersized slot WRs are undervalued by the marketplace and they bought a lot of them, then schemed them into the offense.

They are valuable because Brady is so accurate so these guys catch it on the run and then can do their stuff. I don't think they work on other teams. Welker was somewhat of an exception because he was already good and effective before he got to NE.

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

They are valuable because Brady is so accurate so these guys catch it on the run and then can do their stuff. I don't think they work on other teams. Welker was somewhat of an exception because he was already good and effective before he got to NE.

He's accurate and knows where the ball is supposed to go both pre-snap and post-snap.  

He makes it easy for WR.

3 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Right? I would think Daboll would scheme his availability based on the media/press availability for the best possible availability match-up

Waiting until Sully and Bucky are on vacation, obviously...

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Waiting until Sully and Bucky are on vacation, obviously...

Thought Sully was traveling round the country trolling LeBron now?

8 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I wonder if more moves are coming to the offensive staff. Hopefully. 

It'd be nice to get a little clarification on it. I suspect that's part of the reason there hasn't been a press conference, because they don't want to answer questions about whether or not other people are getting fired. Maybe he's interviewing the current staff and giving them a chance to keep their jobs? Your guess is as good as mine.