Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

58 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

1-16: Soren Petro of WHB 810 AM in Kansas City with Howard and Jeremy on Brian Daboll (10:40)

Another excellent interview with Petro going in-depth about Daboll's time in KC as the OC wrt scheme and personnel.  He also gave excellent insight into Alex Smith regarding what kind of QB he is and how much he's worth with respect to trade value/draft picks.

Soren was great in that segment.

Solid points on Alex Smith...........first 80 yards and 3 quarters he's excellent...........redzone and 4th quarter(or any tense situations, IMO) he's that guy we saw throw the game away to 3D White.

He's just naturally worse than Tyrod from there IMO......you can scheme production out of Tyrod in the redzone, we've seen it.

I still think he's the most likely guy to be the starting QB in Buffalo next season.......he seems like a McJauron dream......and as long as he's a bridge for a guy with a higher ceiling guy that's fine with me.

Josh Allen could probably use 3 years of pine-time to get NFL ready..........that Smith/Allen combo just sounds like a square peg/square hole fit for McD and would probably buy him a 4th and 5th season unless the wheels totally come off.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

They aren't going with Peterman next year. 

Agreed.  With a competent veteran QB (like Cousins) on the roster the Bills could use those draft picks to stockpile talent and they will be a legitimate threat for the next 5-6 seasons while they look for the "next" franchise QB.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The board would go ape **** if Tyrod is back but as you said we've seen him be productive in the right system. 

I wouldnt be against it either so long as they draft somebody early. 

I like Tyrod prolly less than most, thought they should have stayed with Peterman even after the San Doego game.

Having said that, I am fine with Tyrod back with a QB drafted in first round..no problems at all.

Problem is you have to make call on Tyrod before you know what you have in draft, or eat $6M

24 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The board would go ape **** if Tyrod is back but as you said we've seen him be productive in the right system. 

I wouldnt be against it either so long as they draft somebody early. 

I think he means Alex Smith is the most likely guy but it's not clear.  In any event, I'm going to keep banging the table for Teddy Bridgewater.  He's basically Alex Smith - less mobile, but a bit more of a gunslinger.  Super accurate and doesn't turn the ball over much.  Will be affordable.

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I think he means Alex Smith is the most likely guy but it's not clear.  In any event, I'm going to keep banging the table for Teddy Bridgewater.  He's basically Alex Smith - less mobile, but a bit more of a gunslinger.  Super accurate and doesn't turn the ball over much.  Will be affordable.

I like Bridgewater as (excuse the pun) a bridge..but if they bring him in and not draft a QB rd1, I would not be happy.

19 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I like Tyrod prolly less than most, thought they should have stayed with Peterman even after the San Doego game.

Having said that, I am fine with Tyrod back with a QB drafted in first round..no problems at all.

Problem is you have to make call on Tyrod before you know what you have in draft, or eat $6M

I think by the combine Bills will have an idea where they want to go regarding a veteran QB. I am sure they will explore trades and see what the asking price for Cousins is going to be. I think Tyrod is the fall back option in case those things fall through.

14 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Bridgewater actually does turn the ball over.  In his 30 games, he's turned the ball over 24 times.

7 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yeah.......and Alex Smith is basically a $20M QB.

The problems I have with Bridgewater...........durability, he's always been kinda' frail build...........weak arm and doesn't throw a tight ball which could be an issue in the wind at the Ralph..........and at 25 he's not really a bridge QB.

He could be a bridge QB that won't go away.    Like more water than bridge.

I want to eventually have a QB who can make every throw so we can get a 15 year window.

And I am good with the Daboll hire.....hope he brings back Roman's run game.......but just from a general football fans perspective I hate watching the Patriots offense..........it is deadly efficient but deadly boring with all the check downs and short passes.    If he tries to run that and it isn't done efficiently........it could be frustrating.

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Disagree that he went back to what worked before he got here.  Yes he mixed in some power running concepts from Roman's playbook - but his base offense never changed.  If it had, he might still be here.

You can't expect the base offense to change during the season, but if he'd done what was promised in pre-season and tailored the offense to Taylor (and the skillset of other players we have on our roster) earlier, he might still be here.  Kind of like Lynn did, which got him a HC gig.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah.......and Alex Smith is basically a $20M QB.

The problems I have with Bridgewater...........durability, he's always been kinda' frail build...........weak arm and doesn't throw a tight ball which could be an issue in the wind at the Ralph..........and at 25 he's not really a bridge QB.

He could be a bridge QB that won't go away.    Like more water than bridge.

I want to eventually have a QB who can make every throw so we can get a 15 year window.

And I am good with the Daboll hire.....hope he brings back Roman's run game.......but just from a general football fans perspective I hate watching the Patriots offense..........it is deadly efficient but deadly boring with all the check downs and short passes.    If he tries to run that and it isn't done efficiently........it could be frustrating.

Someone posted an xray, not sure if Bridgewater's actual injury or similar.  Point is, it's an awful awful injury, a "will you be able to move like a normal human again?" injury much less a "will you come back as an athlete?" injury.  He's a major major durability risk.

The Vikes would obviously like the NFL world to see him as recovered and ready for action - thus his cameo in week 14 - but the fact that he was a "healthy scratch" and Bradford the backup with the season on the line says something about their confidence in him right now.

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Bridgewater actually does turn the ball over.  In his 30 games, he's turned the ball over 24 times.

In my QB draft analysis, Bridgewater was one of the 1st round QB who scored as a "no" and that's why.  But he was only just getting started, and it's not uncommon for good QB to improve in the INT ratio.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

24 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I really think that was more personnel than scheme - the Patriots have been playing Moneyball for over a decade now - they figured out that scatbacks and undersized slot WRs are undervalued by the marketplace and they bought a lot of them, then schemed them into the offense.

On 1/14/2018 at 5:18 PM, ExWNYer said:

Don't bother with trying to be reasonable. Some of the "I hate everything" posters on this board are already convinced that he sucks because he was not "their choice". He's hired and that's not changing. I, for one, hope he succeeds.I'd rather see the Bills win than get mad because they didn't hire the guy "I wanted". :rolleyes:

There is definitely a difference between recognizing if/when someone wont work out as opposed to a fan supporting their team.  I will root for the bills regardless, but I recognize he might not be the best choice.  I think thats a little more reasonable than blindly following a party just because they say so

16 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

There is definitely a difference between recognizing if/when someone wont work out as opposed to a fan supporting their team.  I will root for the bills regardless, but I recognize he might not be the best choice.  I think thats a little more reasonable than blindly following a party just because they say so

Nobody says you have to blindly follow.....but the folks saying they hate and........thats it.....deserve what they are getting.

Join the discussion...tell us WHY you hate it.

1 minute ago, John from Hemet said:

Nobody says you have to blindly follow.....but the folks saying they hate and........thats it.....deserve what they are getting.

Join the discussion...tell us WHY you hate it.

yeah just that ExWNY ragging on people for giving an opinion.  I am nothing close to an expert in his history or what he is capable of.  But judging off his past experience in the NFL is kinda scares me.  His O's never made it out of the basement, no matter what happened.  His fault or not hes picking up a similar situation in Buffalo, what makes people so sure he will be our savior now? Seems everyone supporting is is basing it off other coaches word of mouth. Which doesnt mean much to me