Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

44 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I certainly like that apparently McDermott had performance metrics he expected, no excuses, and was willing to pull the plug and move on

Performance metrics? Where did you read that?

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Andrews is a significantly better blocker, if that matters. 

Someone has to be Gronk and Hernandez (Andrews is a better receiver and route runner too).

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sorry, but if their plan was to bring in an OC for one year, especially an OC who runs a different offensive system than they originally wanted, 1) I don't think much of their plan. 2) doesn't that mean they compromised on their 1st year hire?

Will have a better feel for that once we see what the staff looks like.

But i would imagine nearly every 1st year Head Coach/GM is making compromises.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I certainly like that apparently McDermott had performance metrics he expected, no excuses, and was willing to pull the plug and move on

To clarify, I think the vision is clear.

I would not have said that when they were first hired. Both have shown me a sense of direction and purpose.

which make me think Dabol is is not a compromise as Dennison may have been.

But clear vision does not mean you do not tweak as you go.

continuous improvement is a method

Dennison was brought in to manage the roster we had and I think he did an admiral job in managing the talent on the roster especially the QB position. 

IMO Daboll is being brought in to build an offense that I would be surprised he and McD haven't talked about for longer than the 2 days it took to hire him. It may not work, but it is obvious the Pegulas are going young with McD(it is really his defense), Beane and now Daboll. I would be shocked if the QB next year isn't young as well whether it be Peterman or another rook. I personally think it is a good strategy. They turned over the defense in a year and there's no reason why they wouldn't think they could do the same with the offense. 

It should be a very interesting couple of years in Bills country.

13 minutes ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

Dennison was brought in to manage the roster we had and I think he did an admiral job in managing the talent on the roster especially the QB position. 

IMO Daboll is being brought in to build an offense that I would be surprised he and McD haven't talked about for longer than the 2 days it took to hire him. It may not work, but it is obvious the Pegulas are going young with McD(it is really his defense), Beane and now Daboll. I would be shocked if the QB next year isn't young as well whether it be Peterman or another rook. I personally think it is a good strategy. They turned over the defense in a year and there's no reason why they wouldn't think they could do the same with the offense. 

It should be a very interesting couple of years in Bills country.

Agreed - as I said upthread, these guys are trying to build a PROGRAM, not just a roster.  Daboll comes from the two best programs in NFL and NCAA history, respectively.

Although I gotta disagree with you about Dennison, I do not think he managed the QB talent that he was given.  He installed his own offense which did not suit Tyrod's skillset and then spent the entire season advocating for the 5th round backup (who sucks).

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Agreed - as I said upthread, these guys are trying to build a PROGRAM, not just a roster.  Daboll comes from the two best programs in NFL and NCAA history, respectively.

Although I gotta disagree with you about Dennison, I do not think he managed the QB talent that he was given.  He installed his own offense which did not suit Tyrod's skillset and then spent the entire season advocating for the 5th round backup (who sucks).

He spent the entire season ripping his own plays out of the playbook and going back to what worked before he got here because literally no player on that team could execute his offense well.   None of the 3 QB's, not any of the running backs, not the offensive line, and not the receivers. 

Daboll better be better or this entire coaching staff is getting flushed down the toilet in 2 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

He spent the entire season ripping his own plays out of the playbook and going back to what worked before he got here because literally no player on that team could execute his offense well.   None of the 3 QB's, not any of the running backs, not the offensive line, and not the receivers. 

Daboll better be better or this entire coaching staff is getting flushed down the toilet in 2 years. 

Disagree that he went back to what worked before he got here.  Yes he mixed in some power running concepts from Roman's playbook - but his base offense never changed.  If it had, he might still be here.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Disagree that he went back to what worked before he got here.  Yes he mixed in some power running concepts from Roman's playbook - but his base offense never changed.  If it had, he might still be here.

Is that a feasable expectation to change base offenses in 8 weeks while doing week to week gameplanning?

There's a reason Lynn ran Roman's offense all year in 2016.

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sorry, but if their plan was to bring in an OC for one year, especially an OC who runs a different offensive system than they originally wanted, 1) I don't think much of their plan. 2) doesn't that mean they compromised on their 1st year hire?

I mean, his first choice didn't sign with us. Isn't everyone after that technically a compromise?

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Not sure if this has been posted yet...

2 ex-NFL QB's give thr low down on new Alabama OC Brian Daboll -

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2017/02/two_ex-nfl_qbs_give_the_lowdow.html

Interesting tidbit from the link above

Chad Pennington:

""They may be doing that in the future," Pennington said. "I don't think [Daboll's] expertise is in fundamental quarterback work or being a quarterback technician. I do think he can improve the quarterback from a scheme and read perspective.""

Having read that, I suppose we will be bringing a QB coach to aid or help whoever QB we might bring. 

and no, don't mention David Lee.....

• Like (+1) 1

1-16: Soren Petro of WHB 810 AM in Kansas City with Howard and Jeremy on Brian Daboll (10:40)

Another excellent interview with Petro going in-depth about Daboll's time in KC as the OC wrt scheme and personnel.  He also gave excellent insight into Alex Smith regarding what kind of QB he is and how much he's worth with respect to trade value/draft picks.

1 hour ago, jmc12290 said:

Is that a feasable expectation to change base offenses in 8 weeks while doing week to week gameplanning?

There's a reason Lynn ran Roman's offense all year in 2016.

Hey why not?

The #2 and #1 receivers didn't get acquired and on the field until October and November, respectively...........it's not like they'd had the playbook for 6 months at that point like.........you know.........a team that was giving their players a "feasible" chance to have a successful passing game in a timing based pass offense.    

Tyrod still having to show KB where to lineup at times in the last few games and playoffs was not a good look.

McD and Beane share a lot of the blame for Dennison's offense but the right thing to do was stick with the Roman/Lynn playbook.   There was just no way on earth that a WCO was going to be as productive with the pieces in place.  

• Like (+1) 3