Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think anyone believes there's an obligation to answer all questions, but when a guy does respond, we judge what he chooses to respond to, and how.

This is one of a billion message boards on the internet. If I want to critique something I don’t have to spend the rest of my day going back-n-forth. I’m logging off. I’m more productive that way and at the end of the day nothing you or I say amounts to anything as far as Bills football is concerned. 

7 hours ago, vincec said:

It’s amazing that he gets a fourth shot at a job that he bombed at the three previous times.

it makes you think that people must really see some potential in him.

Or it reinforces the “old boy network” theory.

It depends how you frame it, really. The results on their surface are poor, but so was the talent on the teams that he was OC for. 

2009 Browns: Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn at QB, Jerome Harrison (who??) and the last year of Jamal Lewis at RB, Mohamed Massaquoi, Josh Cribbs and Mike Furrey at WR, Robert Royal at TE.

2010 Browns: Colt McCoy, Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace at QB, Pro Bowler and Madden cover athlete (lol) Peyton Hillis at RB, Mohamed Massaquoi, Josh Cribbs, Chansi Stuckey and Brian Robiskie at WR, Ben Watson at TE. 

2011 Dolphins: Matt Moore and Chad Henne at QB, Reggie Bush (1086 yards!) at RB, Brandon Marshall (1200 yards!), Brian Hartline and Davone Bess at WR, Anthony Fasano at TE.

2012 Chiefs: Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn at QB, Jamaal Charles (1500 yards) at RB, Dwayne Bowe, Jon Baldwin and Dexter McCluster at WR, Tony Moeaki at TE.

Generally speaking you can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh..poop. I'm not over the moon about it, but I'm not doom and gloom

I admittedly didn't know a ton on Daboll until he was mentioned as a possible OC candidate and started looking into him more.  There are things that are exciting and things to be concerned about with this hire.  

Things to be excited about:

1. He is not Dennison.  Best part of this hire is RICO is GONZO. 
  2. Has been a part of the 2 greatest football minds in history of NFL and College Football.  
  3. Comes from a winning culture with many championships on his resume, so knows what it takes to win in the postseason. 
  4. Great familiarity in the College Football draft class this year while we are loaded with draft picks.
  5. Seems like he will great for the strength of our offense, the run game.  Until we get a QB in here (and if its a rookie, odds are we still need to lean on the run game while he comes along) that can be leaned on, McCoy and our ability to run are still are strength.
  6. He is coming home, so you know the pride and passion will be there.
  7. He might have some insight to help in the Pats games...this probably has very little value, but even if its one little thing it helps.
  8. He was stuck with another meh passing QB in college this year and had talented RB's...but we got to see a taste of that offense with someone who could throw in the 2nd half and they came back in big fashion and won the title.  That probably more than anything moved him up a lot of teams wish lists and it was a positive sign to see him open the offense up with a QB who could actually throw.

Things to be concerned about:

1. His NFL resume as an OC is terrible, but also unfair to grade him given his utterly atrocious list of QB's he had to work with.  When the best QB you have gotten to work with is arguably Matt Cassel, you're gonna have a sh*t resume as an OC.  So there isn't really anything to go back and look as evidence of his abilities as an OC in the NFL.
  2. Hard to know what kind of an offense he can run if he has a competent QB as he seems to have always been a power run game guy.  But going back to the point above, he can only work with what he was given and the QB's he was handed are embarrassing and seemed to have no choice but to lean on the a power run game.  

All in all, after reading up heavy on him, I am pretty optimistic and excited about this hire.  All things that have been said about him are glowingly positive by former coaches and players as well, so that definitely helps.  I was initially concerned about his power run scheme until I saw the train wreck of QB's he was saddled with and then just felt bad for him lmao.  

Now...the real questions begin...what do we do with the QB position, what trades will we make both before and during the draft, and how many games will we win the division by next year!  (never too early for optimism! lol)

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He better get a hat for that bald head, it's going to be cold coaching the Bills in the playoffs, don't want him to catch a cold, maybe McDermott can give him some pointers on covering up or better yet he can take some of his bonus money and buy some Bosley hair implants. Or maybe since he worked with Tommy in New England he can ask him to send him one of those caps he wears with the fluffy ball on top.

24 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

I'm sick to my stomach over this hire. Just so bad. 

Why?  The best QB he ever worked with was Matt Cassel.  No Offensive Coordinator in NFL history would have a good track record as an OC with the utter garbage he had at QB in the NFL.  

When Matt Cassel is the best QB you ever had to work with, you spend your mornings talking yourself into pulling the bullet out of the chamber and putting the gun back in the drawer.

It took all of two days, but the Buffalo Bills have found their man in Buffalo's own Brian Daboll as the next offensive coordinator. 7ABC's Joe Buscaglia and Matthew Fairburn of NYUpstate.com discuss the virtues of Daboll, what the hire represents, how he fits into the way the game is trending, and much, much more.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why?  The best QB he ever worked with was Matt Cassel.  No Offensive Coordinator in NFL history would have a good track record as an OC with the utter garbage he had at QB in the NFL.  

When Matt Cassel is the best QB you ever had to work with, you spend your mornings talking yourself into pulling the bullet out of the chamber and putting the gun back in the drawer.

Just read that he wanted Tua to start months ago but was told no. So that is a plus. He recognized that Tua was a better QB even as a true freshman. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I admittedly didn't know a ton on Daboll until he was mentioned as a possible OC candidate and started looking into him more.  There are things that are exciting and things to be concerned about with this hire.  

Things to be excited about:

1. He is not Dennison.  Best part of this hire is RICO is GONZO. 
  2. Has been a part of the 2 greatest football minds in history of NFL and College Football.  
  3. Comes from a winning culture with many championships on his resume, so knows what it takes to win in the postseason. 
  4. Great familiarity in the College Football draft class this year while we are loaded with draft picks.
  5. Seems like he will great for the strength of our offense, the run game.  Until we get a QB in here (and if its a rookie, odds are we still need to lean on the run game while he comes along) that can be leaned on, McCoy and our ability to run are still are strength.
  6. He is coming home, so you know the pride and passion will be there.
  7. He might have some insight to help in the Pats games...this probably has very little value, but even if its one little thing it helps.
  8. He was stuck with another meh passing QB in college this year and had talented RB's...but we got to see a taste of that offense with someone who could throw in the 2nd half and they came back in big fashion and won the title.  That probably more than anything moved him up a lot of teams wish lists and it was a positive sign to see him open the offense up with a QB who could actually throw.

Things to be concerned about:

1. His NFL resume as an OC is terrible, but also unfair to grade him given his utterly atrocious list of QB's he had to work with.  When the best QB you have gotten to work with is arguably Matt Cassel, you're gonna have a sh*t resume as an OC.  So there isn't really anything to go back and look as evidence of his abilities as an OC in the NFL.
  2. Hard to know what kind of an offense he can run if he has a competent QB as he seems to have always been a power run game guy.  But going back to the point above, he can only work with what he was given and the QB's he was handed are embarrassing and seemed to have no choice but to lean on the a power run game.  

All in all, after reading up heavy on him, I am pretty optimistic and excited about this hire.  All things that have been said about him are glowingly positive by former coaches and players as well, so that definitely helps.  I was initially concerned about his power run scheme until I saw the train wreck of QB's he was saddled with and then just felt bad for him lmao.  

Now...the real questions begin...what do we do with the QB position, what trades will we make both before and during the draft, and how many games will we win the division by next year!  (never too early for optimism! lol)

GO BILLS!!!

This is a great post. I do think the point about Saban and BElichick can be overblown because a lot of coaches have looked bad once the year left him.  MY concern is didn't really seem any thing super interesting with Alabama's offense this year.  It was basically don't lose the game type offense.  I think we are in for some boring low scoring games next year.

that said, it's all about the qb.  I worry more about that than the OC.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Just read that he wanted Tua to start months ago but was told no. So that is a plus. He recognized that Tua was a better QB even as a true freshman. 

5 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

That is true but I understand why Saban stuck with Hurts. Hurts can get you far but not far enough when you play elite defenses. They never did this year until last Monday.,

32 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Cassel was hot garbage by the time he got to the Bills but he did make a pro bowl And helped KC get to the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I am a huge Bama fan and have been  watching them all year and I can tell you the Brian is very creative in his play calling and he also calls plays based on the players strengths. I think he will do very well here.

Is that allowed? Why are we just now hearing about that option???

I thought I heard something after the National Championship game that it was suggested to Saban that they make the change at QB. Was this covered? (Sorry, I skipped some pages.) Did anyone else hear this? Was I just imagining it? Was it our new OC who was bold enough to make the gutsy call to help win the big game? That was bold indeed. 

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

Is that allowed? Why are we just now hearing about that option???

I thought I heard something after the National Championship game that it was suggested to Saban that they make the change at QB. Was this covered? (Sorry, I skipped some pages.) Did anyone else hear this? Was I just imagining it? Was it our new OC who was bold enough to make the gutsy call to help win the big game? That was bold indeed. 

39 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

....ironically Roman went ballistic internally at OBD when Whaley traded Cassel.......

A few points I think people are missing:

1) Daboll is thought of VERY highly by both Bellichick and Saban who have had him on their teams multiple times. They don't hire idiots.

2) Daboll was going to be the New England OC if McDaniels were to leave for a head coaching job and WOULD have been promoted to OC LAST year when he was with NE as Tight Ends coach if McDaniels got a job as a head coach last year.  So Bellichick clearly thinks he is qualified to be an OC in the NFL.  

So for people who are down on the hire, we stole him from Bellichick more or less once McDaniels leaves. For once we out empired the evil empire.  Feel better?

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 3