Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

4 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

You don’t need to have a Ferrari to attempt forth and short, or pass on first down. I can’t see McDermott being an aggressive coach regardless of personnel. It’s not in his DNA. 

Agreed.

Hopefully daboll wants to be and MCD gives him some leeway.

MCD is pure vanilla, slow and steady.

Is he the guy to get to to the promised Land? Nah I don't think so.

Is he a good choice to steady the ship and build a foundation? I think so.

Forty-one pages in....

Being a Bills fan every hire is important. When you're in the middle of a playoff drought, new hires and drafts are all we had to hang our hat on. 

The part of the "process" that I am hanging my hat on is consistency. We've gone through head coach after head coach (not to mention OCs and DCs), changing back and forth between 3-4s, and 4-3s, Power run schemes vs WCO. We're never stable. We draft players that don't fit in 2 years. I hope the current regime is successful enough to stick around to build upon success. 

I'm encouraged by the hire. He seems to be well regarded by coaches I respect and yet loath. So I'll go with that. I want successful stability.

Someone mentioned up thread that Alabama fans are glad to see him go. Really? One loss in the toughest division in college football, a national championship and they are ready to kick him to the curb? 

One thing I'll be looking for: in game adjustments. The Bills absolutely sucked in the second half. Going with the Freshman QB in the 2nd half of a Championship game was ballsy. 

Too much to ask for?

48 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

This is what you get for posting an opinion on a fan message board these days. 

Its pathetic really. 

Really that's the take away. You're beyond reproach, come on to a message board and offer an opinion disapproval; as you always do, and then can't be bothered to answer a question. Great!

7 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Can he do any worse than Dennison? 31st passing. Has inside info on Bama players Ridley WR, Payne & Hand DT, Eva's ILB, Scarborough RB and Pierschbacher OG. Could use all of them.

is that a good reason to hire him...he can't do any worse?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, PolishDave said:

Why is everyone giving him credit for that call?   Wasn't it Saban who made that decision?

Based on sabans track record of being a control freak, I'll say that yeah, I think it was saban, the king of the crimson Tide.

We will never know though, since it worked out.

If saban made the decision, it wouldn't surprise me bc he's the king there.

If daboll made it, do you think saban will allow him to take the credit? I don't.

I think that if they still lost, or the idea crashed and burned, saban would have thrown daboll under the bus

2 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Why is everyone giving him credit for that call?   Wasn't it Saban who made that decision?

almost certainly it was. But do you think the OC had game planned for that? If he did, that's great coaching for contingencies. If he didn't, that's great coaching on the fly, knowing what works for this skill set of players. 

44 minutes ago, fridge said:

Ive ended most of my posts with something similar to  “hopefully he isn’t crap, let’s wait and see”. You guys are taking a real offense to anyone that dares to mention his past NFL OC experience.

Hopefully he isn’t crap. Let’s wait and see. I trust McDermott.

Fair enough, I have no issue with that stance. 

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

Based on sabans track record of being a control freak, I'll say that yeah, I think it was saban, the king of the crimson Tide.

We will never know though, since it worked out.

If saban made the decision, it wouldn't surprise me bc he's the king there.

If daboll made it, do you think saban will allow him to take the credit? I don't.

I think that if they still lost, or the idea crashed and burned, saban would have thrown daboll under the bus

When is it ever NOT the head coach's decision to replace the QB and who to replace him with?   Know what I mean?

Just now, I_want_2_BILL_Lieve said:

almost certainly it was. But do you think the OC had game planned for that? If he did, that's great coaching for contingencies. If he didn't, that's great coaching on the fly, knowing what works for this skill set of players. 

I'm not trying to take away anything from Daboll that he deserves.    I am just not going to give him credit for something HUGE like that when there is no evidence he is the one that made that decision.

Maybe it was Daboll's decision to do that.   I just haven't seen anything saying that.  Credit where credit is due = Saban unless evidence otherwise.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Koko78 said:

Well, looks like the best NFL offense he ever ran was Miami in 2011, where they were ranked 22nd in yards and 20th in scoring.

Seems he likes to hand the ball off a lot.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/DaboBr0.htm

I would have handed the ball off too if my QB roster between my 3 NFL gigs consisted of:

Jp losman

Brady Quinn (twice)

Seneca Wallace

Colt McCoy (post multiple shoulder injuries)

Matt Cassell

A one legged Brian hoyer

Derek Anderson 

1 minute ago, PolishDave said:

When is it ever NOT the head coach's decision to replace the QB and who to replace him with?   Know what I mean?

I feel you.

I'm with you here 100%.

Especially with a guy like saban who rules the roost.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

I run an HVAC company in Atlanta. This is just a place I go to read about the Bills and post comments. 

Some fanboys believe a person is obliged to answer all their questions. Sorry, I’ve a job. That’s the gig I’m running cause that’s what feeds my kids. 

Do you think Daboll's offense will be hot or cold?

• Haha (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!  (Hapless jumps off bridge.  Wait, there was harness and bungee cord.  Hapless lives).  OK, taking a deep breath and calming down.

Things I liked about Gailey's offense:

1) it moved right along.  it had the capability to catch other teams out of position, which our offense since has lacked

2) innovative play design.  he enabled a bunch of low-talent WR to be open consistently and a meh-talent QB to get the ball to them

Both of those can be hallmarks of the E-P system since the play calls are simpler and faster.

Things I didn't like about Gailey's offense:

1) too cute.  Too much focus on gidgets and gadgets rather than doing a handful of things really well.  this became an increasing problem in years 2 and 3.

2) lack of "fit" to the player personnel - sometimes playcalls suited to Aaron Rodgers with Ryan Fitzpatrick taking the snaps

So being analytical, I suppose the things I liked may have had to do with the E-P system, and the things I disliked may have had to do with Gailey's judgement as a coach.  Everything about Daboll's background and comments by those who've played/worked with him say he's a very hard worker and very analytical, so perhaps he will keep away from the latter.

Now that OC is in place, can you think of any experienced vets that are familiar with the E-P language and concepts?

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Now that OC is in place, can you think of any experienced vets that are familiar with the E-P language and concepts?

It's supposed to be the easiest system to grasp.   So I think it fits well with a drafted guy.    A vet could learn it faster if he had to probably, but I don't think it favors any one QB.   I think it favors them all.

That one fact, by itself, is one of the biggest reasons for optimism going forward.    Just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1