Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

Daboll seems like a no BS kind of guy though doesn't he? Very McDermott like in many ways. Really focused and motivated, all business mentality.

QB coach, WR coach, TE coach. His track record with the Browns, I don't hold that against him, that's not his fault, nobody is successful in Cleveland. In Miami his offense wasn't terrible for what they had. Between Matt Moore and Chad Henne they posted 20:13 TD/INT, Reggie Bush rushed for 5ypc 1,000+ yards. If we get that Brian Daboll with even a slightly above average QB, we can be dangerous. Shady should have a career year as well. Wouldn't mind Derrius Guice in the 1st round to solidify that backfield.

There's some good things there, obviously working with Saban and Belichick excites me. Did we just steal BB's replacement for McDaniels?

I'm optimistic. I think he is one of us and not only that, I think he fits in perfectly with our coaching staff, he'll fit right in here.

3 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

What did he make out of those three “miserable teams”? 

That's a fair point.  While I can't say he had a QB or a stacked roster, the only place where the offense arguably took a step under Daboll was in Miami.  I don't look at his past NFL OC performance as a deal breaker because he was dealing with limited personnel, but I can't look at it as a positive either and it doesn't excite me.

5 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

What did he make out of those three “miserable teams”? 

Well he did continue to have a career, so that's something, right?

BB failed in Cleveland.

Everybody since Shula has failed in Miami.

Christ other than "regular season Midas touch" Andy Reid everybody fails in KC also.

See a pattern here?

Coaching is generally a crapshoot.

Bad coaches catch lightning in a bottle sometimes.

Good coaches get handed bad hands sometimes.

All you can do is look at his track record (which overall has ups and downs), but most recently is up, and hope for the best.

If I had to put a number on it, I'm about 70% excited about this, and happy we made the call and got things settled before the draft.

11 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I wish Daboll all the luck in the work. It’s simply a hire that doesn’t excite me. I don’t have “an issue” with Daboll, and it’s not about “style points”. I just have reservations about McD’s extremely conservative game day coaching. We just hired an OC who seems unlikely to deviate from McD’s conservatism. I expect tons of first down runs up the gut from this OC. I hope to be proven wrong. Maybe we find our franchise QB, and all is well. 

Well McDermott's conservative style got a team of mostly scrubs into the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

Both are from the same program even if they did not cross each other

I wouldn’t read too much into Daboll’s cup of coffee in Alabama. I think the biggest take away from it is that Saban trusts him.

There’s no overlap with AJ and Daboll and I don’t know if that’s the kind of decision Daboll would be making right out of the gate.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well McDermott's conservative style got a team of mostly scrubs into the playoffs. 

Yep.

Can't really get aggressive on the racetrack when you're driving a stock Honda fit and chasing Ferraris.

Just gotta hope enough Ferraris crash, taking each other out while jockeying for position, that the Fit can be the #8 vehicle to finish the race, while the other 8 wrecked.

(Which is exactly what we did. Finished the laps, worried about ourselves, and let the other contenders crash and burn before the checkered flag)

Now we are trying to throw a little more horsepower under the hood :)

5 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

P.S. If you liked the Bills offensive design under Gailey, you will like this offense IMO

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!  (Hapless jumps off bridge.  Wait, there was harness and bungee cord.  Hapless lives).  OK, taking a deep breath and calming down.

Things I liked about Gailey's offense:

1) it moved right along.  it had the capability to catch other teams out of position, which our offense since has lacked

2) innovative play design.  he enabled a bunch of low-talent WR to be open consistently and a meh-talent QB to get the ball to them

Both of those can be hallmarks of the E-P system since the play calls are simpler and faster.

Things I didn't like about Gailey's offense:

1) too cute.  Too much focus on gidgets and gadgets rather than doing a handful of things really well.  this became an increasing problem in years 2 and 3.

2) lack of "fit" to the player personnel - sometimes playcalls suited to Aaron Rodgers with Ryan Fitzpatrick taking the snaps

So being analytical, I suppose the things I liked may have had to do with the E-P system, and the things I disliked may have had to do with Gailey's judgement as a coach.  Everything about Daboll's background and comments by those who've played/worked with him say he's a very hard worker and very analytical, so perhaps he will keep away from the latter.

4 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Well he did continue to have a career, so that's something, right?

BB failed in Cleveland.

Everybody since Shula has failed in Miami.

Christ other than "regular season Midas touch" Andy Reid everybody fails in KC also.

See a pattern here?

Coaching is generally a crapshoot.

Bad coaches catch lightning in a bottle sometimes.

Good coaches get handed bad hands sometimes.

All you can do is look at his track record (which overall has ups and downs), but most recently is up, and hope for the best.

If I had to put a number on it, I'm about 70% excited about this, and happy we made the call and got things settled before the draft.

I’ve never bought into the narrative of BB being a complete failure in Cleveland. His track record in Cleveland didn’t point to a future HOF’er, but he showed some ability. The 1995 season was derailed by the specter of the move to Baltimore. Daboll hasn’t shown anything to be impressed by as an NFL OC. It’s all about how you define the word failure. I won’t call Daboll a failure, but his 32nd ranked KC offense gives me concern. Regardless of what one has to work with, you hope for better than being dead last. Maybe he has become something more than I’m giving him credit for. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So you get to post whatever you please, and if someone raises factual counter-points or tries to calibrate your judgement by asking who would impress you with their "pelts on the wall", you go to "this is what you get....it's pathetic really"?

Nice gig you're running.

I run an HVAC company in Atlanta. This is just a place I go to read about the Bills and post comments. 

Some fanboys believe a person is obliged to answer all their questions. Sorry, I’ve a job. That’s the gig I’m running cause that’s what feeds my kids. 

18 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

I would imagine some offensive staff changes are coming.  Our last staff was a mixed bag of McDermott guys and random WCO guys.  Like someone said earlier Ehrhardt-Perkins is its own thing and I would imagine he will bring in at least one or two E-P guys to help install offense and terminology. Daboll also would have reasonable links to coaches who worked with Dan Quinn, Greg Schiano, Eric Mangini, Bill O'Brien, Romeo Crennell, Charlie Weis, Nick Saban, Josh McDaniels, Bob Quinn, Jon Robinson, Scot Pioli, Thomas Dimitrov.  Other notable EP teams were the Tom Coughlin Giants, Todd Haley Cardinals, Chiefs, and current Steelers, random John Fox Panthers and Broncos teams, Chan Gailey Bills and Steelers, and the Mike Shula Panthers.

Coupled with the Carolina connection, I think it is reasonable to expect one of Mike Shula or Ken Dorsey to be on this staff, if not both.

Other potential staff

Karl Dorell, WR coach NYJ

Mick Lombardi, NYJ asst QB coach

Mike Groh, PHI WR coach

Wes Welker, asst WR coach HOU 

George Godsey, former NE TE coach and HOU OC

Kyle Flood, long time Rutgers OL coach turned HC currently serving as ATL asst OL coach

Mike Shula, QB coach CAR

Nick Siriani, WR coach Chargers

Jason Micheal, Titans QB coach

Jeff Davidson, longtime John Fox OL coach most recently fired from DEN

A lot of these guys will end up on Mike McCoy's or Josh McDaniel's staff, although I think McCoy will be the OC on whichever team hires McDaniels.  

Getting Daboll in the fold early allows us to get a jump on these coaches.

This hire, coupled with the rumor of McCoy being our first choice last year, the Carolina connection to Shula, and the info i learned and trust about McD wanting (and offering Daboll the job last year) tells me that McDermott has some sense of the kind of offense he wants to run.  He couldn't get it last year and had to make do with a patchwork O staff.  Now, he has what he wants.  Just need the players.

P.S. If you liked the Bills offensive design under Gailey, you will like this offense IMO

I like the post.

I just don't get the P.S part where you say if we liked Gailey's offense that we will like this offense.    Are you implying Daboll is going to run a very similar offense to Gailey?   If so, why?   Where is that notion coming from?     Is that what he ran when an OC the other 4 times?   

3 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Yep.

Can't really get aggressive on the racetrack when you're driving a stock Honda fit and chasing Ferraris.

Just gotta hope enough Ferraris crash, taking each other out while jockeying for position, that the Fit can be the #8 vehicle to finish the race, while the other 8 wrecked.

(Which is exactly what we did. Finished the laps, worried about ourselves, and let the other contenders crash and burn before the checkered flag)

Now we are trying to throw a little more horsepower under the hood :)

You don’t need to have a Ferrari to attempt forth and short, or pass on first down. I can’t see McDermott being an aggressive coach regardless of personnel. It’s not in his DNA. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Nah I wont. But thanks for asking and good response have no data on the hire so go after me for not liking it cool. I hope i am wrong and i even said this hire doesnt matter anyway if you get a legit QB. 

But we dont have one so yes the fact in his other NFL and College OC stints the QB play has sucked. The passing offenses have sucked. Sorry i dont put my Bills glasses on for every move they do. So HOW IS THIS BETTER than Dennison 

How about he pulled his qb in the second half of the game and won it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I’ve never bought into the narrative of BB being a complete failure in Cleveland. His track record in Cleveland didn’t point to a future HOF’er, but he showed some ability. The 1995 season was derailed by the specter of the move to Baltimore. Daboll hasn’t shown anything to be impressed by as an NFL OC. It’s all about how you define the word failure. I won’t call Daboll a failure, but his 32nd ranked KC offense gives me concern. Regardless of what one has to work with, you hope for better than being dead last. Maybe he has become something more than I’m giving him credit for. 

Ok I can give you that.

BB was fired from Cleveland though.

Fired.

Somebody above him thought he failed.

(Not saying they were correct)

He took them to 11-5 and the playoffs, then they regressed, on all fronts, and was fired after the move was announced.

I'm just saying even if you thought he was decent with the browns, he obviously had improved since then.

I would say that HOPE daboll has learned and improved since his HC stint, hoping he learned a bunch under BB on the pats