Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

37 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Shhh.  Don't look now, but during the Bills "4 Falls" and 1989, we typically rushed more than we passed (1 year I think within 10 attempts).  Not until 1994 did passing attempts clearly >> rushing attempts (the year we fell to 7-9).  Bills only had a top-5 passing offense once in those years.

You can say "you're not fond of the hire" without suggesting who you prefer, but you may come across as a Mikey  ("give it to Mikey, he hates everything"). 

IOW, without knowing who you would prefer, it's hard to place a value on your dislike.

I reserve judgement myself.  I just point out this: you're writing as though this guy was an afterthought, and better folks wouldn't come here because, QB. 

Here's a college OC making $1.2M who just unveiled a hot new QB during the college championship.  He doesn't have to go anywhere, he can stay right there and have fun.  He also has to know he'll get a limited number of future OC shots in the NFL given his past lack of success.  He's absolutely not gonna take a gig if he thinks he'll get stuck at QB again.

I expect in order to get him here, he had to understand their plans for QB and buy into them.

This is what you get for posting an opinion on a fan message board these days. 

Its pathetic really. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Yes, but before you can play with a lead, you need to take the lead. Bama usually did so by marching down the field with a series of runs, or the run, run, pass formula. Bama’s playcalling was very predictable, and a lot of people in Bama are happy to see him go. With that said, I separate his Bama accomplishments from his future in the pros. Success at Bama is certainly not a guarantee of success in the pros. Bama football is a different animal than pro football. No NFL team will ever be as superior in talent to the others as Bama is to their opponents. 

My greater concern is Daboll’s history in the pros. To be fair, as an OC he never had a legitimate QB on his offense. That doesn’t discount the fact that he was an ultra conservative playcaller at his NFL stops. I wish Daboll all the best, and I hope that I am proven wrong. I’m just not convinced he is a progressive minded offensive coach. Hopefully he’s not a guy being brought in he because he fits the McD philosophy of playing not to lose. Kudos to this staff for delivering us from the playoff drought. Lets hope they learn the benefits of aggressive play. Maybe Daboll will prove to be more than I expected. Only time will tell. 

I still don't understand your issue with Dabol. Are you upset he won games in Alabama playing conservatively? Is this a style points thing?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

If you don’t mind me asking , what kind of an offence does Daboll run? 

Like is it more of a power attack? Is he a run first guy? Does he attack defences vertically or horizontally?

As explained earlier in this thread, Daboll by his history and work with the Pats has been strictly an Erhardt-Perkins OC.  This is also what Chan Gailey used but don't hold that against it; it's also the base offense of Panthers and the Cowboys have used it.  McCoy is an E-P guy.  It has more to do with terminology and how plays are conceptualized than play choice.

The word I've heard on him is he does a good job adapting his system to the players he has.  So 'Bama had a stable full of highly recruited RBs and a sophomore QB who was struggling to grow as a passer, he used them.  Tua Tagovailoa would be Argument #1 that it's not 'cuz Daboll can't work with a young QB.

I would expect the offensive strategy to vary based on who winds up as QB

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan11 said:

If you don’t mind me asking , what kind of an offence does Daboll run? 

Like is it more of a power attack? Is he a run first guy? Does he attack defences vertically or horizontally?

Sorry if it seems like I am ducking the question, but I have seen him run all of the above. He was also good at utilizing a running qb but we shouldn't read much into that.

Remember, Coach Saban likes to keep opponents at 3rd and long, and then force mistakes and pounce on them and again, I believe he put heavy pressure on Daboll to keep things conservative. He even got angry at him in the Clemson game for 2 incomplete passes in the 4th quarter when he thought that Daboll should be killing the clock.

In the Championship Game, Coach Saban had no choice and had to turn Daboll loose. He (imo) put on a coaching clinic. At one point there were 6 freshmen on the field on offense. 6 FRESHMEN, and look what happened!!!!

Daboll was schooled by the best and will be superb, or so I say. 

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Must say, not impressed with this guys history.

Hopefully, he has learned from his mistakes, and can lead a good offense.  Don’t need flashy, just competent situational play calls, and play to the strengths on our offense.  Will be interesting seeing who stays and who leaves on the offensive staff.

I feel we need a good QB, RB2 and OL depth to have an effective offense.  This of course includes keeping our WR corps intact; sans Matthews who doesn’t seem destined to come back.  Doesn’t matter if you have Bill Walsh calling the plays, if you have a QB missing wide open receivers, throwing too high or throwing too low, you aren’t going to win the big games.

Watched a handful of Chiefs from 2012 and Dolphins games from 2011. I saw a mixed bag of things. I really liked the way his offenses ran the ball. I think Shady will do really good things in this offense. The passing game was very meh. I forgot how utterly horrendous Matt Cassel was and Matt Moore wasn’t a whole lot better. One thing I did notice is that Dabbol doesn’t use much play action or move the pocket. It’s a lot of drop back passing from under center with 5 and 7 step drops. That doesn’t bode well for Tyrod assuming that’s the kind of offense he wil be bringing. I’m hoping he has since learned some things and his passing attack has since evolved otherwise I’m bracing myself for another season where we are good at running but have trouble throwing the ball.

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

Sorry if it seems like I am ducking the question, but I have seen him run all of the above. He was also good at utilizing a running qb but we shouldn't read much into that.

Remember, Coach Saban likes to keep opponents at 3rd and long, and then force mistakes and pounce on them and again, I believe he put heavy pressure on Daboll to keep things conservative. He even got angry at him in the Clemson game for 2 incomplete passes in the 4th quarter when he thought that Daboll should be killing the clock.

In the Championship Game, Coach saban had no choice and had to turn Daboll loose. He (imo) put on a coaching clinic. At one point there were 6 freshmen on the fild on offense. 6 FRESHMEN, and look what happened!!!!

I'm with you, he's obviously an impressive guy.  Let him hand pick his QB room and lets go.  I'll be excited to see what the O looks like.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

In the Championship Game, Coach Saban had no choice and had to turn Daboll loose. He (imo) put on a coaching clinic. At one point there were 6 freshmen on the fild on offense. 6 FRESHMEN, and look what happened!!!!

Appreciate it, thank you for the insight

Brian Daboll helped Josh McDaniels get a job with the Patriots back in 2001. They were friends after working together under Nick Saban as graduate assistants at Michigan State in 1999. Daboll was hired by the Patriots as a defensive assistant in 2000 while McDaniels was a salesman in Ohio. The next year Daboll recommended McDaniels to the Patriots, who started out as a personnel assistant in the front office before taking Daboll's place as defensive assistant after Daboll was promoted to wide receivers coach. A few years later, McDaniels took over as the offense's playcaller ahead of Daboll and Daboll left for the hated Jets (under Mangini).

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

I said current and I'm not running around extolling how excited I am. Please explain to me how complaining for pages and pages on a message board before the guy steps foot in the building is better than saying "huh, hopefully he isn't crap, let's wait and see?"

Ive ended most of my posts with something similar to  “hopefully he isn’t crap, let’s wait and see”. You guys are taking a real offense to anyone that dares to mention his past NFL OC experience.

Hopefully he isn’t crap. Let’s wait and see. I trust McDermott.

1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

It’s a concerning hire and there’s no reason to believe it’s a good one yet. The guy has been around the block but he doesn’t really have any pelts on the wall that are his trophies. Sure he had success with the Pats and as Bama’s OC but Bama is the most talented team in college. His NFL record isn’t inspiring. I know there were bad QBs he coached but he doesn’t have a year in the NFL where he can say ‘look at the lemonade I made out of this crap roster.’

So who has those "pelts on the wall" who can say "look at the lemonade I made out of this crap roster"?

10 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Must say, not impressed with this guys history.

Hopefully, he has learned from his mistakes, and can lead a good offense.  Don’t need flashy, just competent situational play calls, and play to the strengths on our offense.  Will be interesting seeing who stays and who leaves on the offensive staff.

Which part of BD's history isn't impressive?  The fact that the Patriots love him, he helped Alabama win a championship, made something out of three miserable teams (Cleveland, Miami and KC) with miserable QBs, that reports indicate that Belechik/Pats wanted him back, that Saban paid top dollar to hire him, that other teams reportedly wanted to hire him, that McBeane moved fast to pick him up?  Which part doesn't excite you?

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I still don't understand your issue with Dabol. Are you upset he won games in Alabama playing conservatively? Is this a style points thing?

I wish Daboll all the luck in the work. It’s simply a hire that doesn’t excite me. I don’t have “an issue” with Daboll, and it’s not about “style points”. I just have reservations about McD’s extremely conservative game day coaching. We just hired an OC who seems unlikely to deviate from McD’s conservatism. I expect tons of first down runs up the gut from this OC. I hope to be proven wrong. Maybe we find our franchise QB, and all is well. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

19 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

This is what you get for posting an opinion on a fan message board these days. 

Its pathetic really. 

So you get to post whatever you please, and if someone raises factual counter-points or tries to calibrate your judgement by asking who would impress you with their "pelts on the wall", you go to "this is what you get....it's pathetic really"?

Nice gig you're running.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Which part of BD's history isn't impressive?  The fact that the Patriots love him, he helped Alabama win a championship, made something out of three miserable teams (Cleveland, Miami and KC) with miserable QBs, that reports indicate that Belechik/Pats wanted him back, that Saban paid top dollar to hire him, that other teams reportedly wanted to hire him, that McBeane moved fast to pick him up?  Which part doesn't excite you?

What did he make out of those three “miserable teams”? 

I would imagine some offensive staff changes are coming.  Our last staff was a mixed bag of McDermott guys and random WCO guys.  Like someone said earlier Ehrhardt-Perkins is its own thing and I would imagine he will bring in at least one or two E-P guys to help install offense and terminology. Daboll also would have reasonable links to coaches who worked with Dan Quinn, Greg Schiano, Eric Mangini, Bill O'Brien, Romeo Crennell, Charlie Weis, Nick Saban, Josh McDaniels, Bob Quinn, Jon Robinson, Scot Pioli, Thomas Dimitrov.  Other notable EP teams were the Tom Coughlin Giants, Todd Haley Cardinals, Chiefs, and current Steelers, random John Fox Panthers and Broncos teams, Chan Gailey Bills and Steelers, and the Mike Shula Panthers.

Coupled with the Carolina connection, I think it is reasonable to expect one of Mike Shula or Ken Dorsey to be on this staff, if not both.

Other potential staff

Karl Dorell, WR coach NYJ

Mick Lombardi, NYJ asst QB coach

Mike Groh, PHI WR coach

Wes Welker, asst WR coach HOU 

George Godsey, former NE TE coach and HOU OC

Kyle Flood, long time Rutgers OL coach turned HC currently serving as ATL asst OL coach

Mike Shula, QB coach CAR

Nick Siriani, WR coach Chargers

Jason Micheal, Titans QB coach

Jeff Davidson, longtime John Fox OL coach most recently fired from DEN

A lot of these guys will end up on Mike McCoy's or Josh McDaniel's staff, although I think McCoy will be the OC on whichever team hires McDaniels.  

Getting Daboll in the fold early allows us to get a jump on these coaches.

This hire, coupled with the rumor of McCoy being our first choice last year, the Carolina connection to Shula, and the info i learned and trust about McD wanting (and offering Daboll the job last year) tells me that McDermott has some sense of the kind of offense he wants to run.  He couldn't get it last year and had to make do with a patchwork O staff.  Now, he has what he wants.  Just need the players.

P.S. If you liked the Bills offensive design under Gailey, you will like this offense IMO

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

In the Championship Game, Coach Saban had no choice and had to turn Daboll loose. He (imo) put on a coaching clinic. At one point there were 6 freshmen on the fild on offense. 6 FRESHMEN, and look what happened!!!!

I appreciate the take from someone who watches a lot more Alabama than me. Thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

I totally understand and get where you’re coming from, but you must acknowledge that to draw your conclusion is to literally wipe out and ignore the 4 years he held the position we hired him for, right?

I dig the username though and appreciate any Wes Anderson reference. Cheers!

7 minutes ago, fridge said:

Ive ended most of my posts with something similar to  “hopefully he isn’t crap, let’s wait and see”. You guys are taking a real offense to anyone that dares to mention his past NFL OC experience.

Hopefully he isn’t crap. Let’s wait and see. I trust McDermott.

I feel the same. The purpose of these discussions are to share our different viewpoints. Both sides can back their statements with facts, and both sides can be easily disputed. There are no right or wrong answers at this point. We all want Daboll to succeed, but we don’t all feel as enthusiastic about the hire.