Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

53 minutes ago, vincec said:

It’s amazing that he gets a fourth shot at a job that he bombed at the three previous times.

it makes you think that people must really see some potential in him.

Or it reinforces the “old boy network” theory.

Or they just look at the talent he was given to work with.  Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson, Colt Mccoy, Matt Cassel and Matt Moore.  Give him a decent QB and I bet he looks a lot better 

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

Please stop it with the non sense... and if they had a QB who could throw reliably they wouold of thrown more. COMMON SENSE NEEDS TO BE APPLIED.

Nothing wrong with having a caliber of RB like Shady on the team

Bills were a run first team the last 3 years by choice.   They CHOSE Tyrod as the starting qb each and every year because they WANTED to run the ball first and foremost.

If they WANTED to be a throw first team, they would have brought in and started a different guy.    They CHOSE their path.  

The people in charge made those decisions.    You apparently think Buffalo was FORCED to take/keep Tyrod and FORCED to be run first because of it.   And you are flat out dead ass wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, nucci said:

But is he blue collar and does he bring a lunch pail to work?

He went to St. Francis -- not exactly.....but he's still one of us :-)

54 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So, he’s a Russ Brandon hire.   :D

Totally.  I heard he was told Terry likes Red Wine...sealed the deal.

1 hour ago, John in Jax said:

Just curious....I wonder how much influence does the head coach have on an OC during the game? Do HCs frequently override the OC and make the call themselves? What about QBs? Obviously, you would think if you have a veteran QB, and a young OC, there'd be times when the QB knows which play would be best, no?

For example, the Steelers' calls on those 2 fourth and one plays yesterday.....did Tomlin have anything to do with those? What about Ben R?

It'd be really interesting to know the stats regarding this matter, but I doubt that they're kept. Probably the only way to know would be to poll all the OCs in the league, and I'm sure no one would participate.

Didn't it look like Ben R audibled into those two terrible 4th and short calls yesterday?

10 hours ago, Wily Dog said:

which do you believe are Patricia and McDaniels more loyal to Belicheck or Kraft ? Tommy is in with Kraft . The Grapollo situation did not set well with Belicheck . Matt is going to the Lions and Mcdaniels may ago to Indy. If Belicheck leaves for say the Giants , draw your own conclusions

Patricia and McDaniels are more loyal to Belichick. All of his coordinators are and only move on to teams to which BB gives his blessing. Eric Mangidiot learned that the hard way when he went to the Jets. Yes, Brady is loyal to Kraft.

The Lions and the Colts, I believe you're correct. BB isn't going anywhere. If he was planning on going, McDaniels would be staying to take over.

Too much is being made of the Garoppolo trade. Most thought that NE could have collected a king's ransom from the Browns, Bears, or 49ers before the draft. All reports say BB told everyone who called that he wasn't interested. We also know that NE wasn't going to keep JG after the season either. He wasn't ever going to play while Brady is playing at an MVP level. The trade got him out of the AFC and into a good situation. Plus NE got the current return for a back up QB.

I know this would be the dream scenario for the NFL, but it's not happening yet! ;-)

16 hours ago, Gugny said:

Well, at least he'll feel comfortable.

Wow . a lot of reading  ... but about lost my coffee on this one .. when they showed Daboll's prior Offensive Rankings as NFL OC .. then Gugny compared to our team's recent Offensive (this word does have 2 pertinent definitions) performance. 

15 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm with you.  This is exactly the kind of guy McDermott needs for a OC.

He was with Belli and after Mangini left the Patriots for the Jets he took Daboll with him.

When Mangini left for Cleveland he kept Daboll and promoted him to OC.

After Mangini was let go Daboll had a year in Miami under Sparano (his last year) so Daboll was let go

and KC new 1 year head coach Crennel picked him up.

Reid took over and let him go......................Belli picked him right back up.

He has been a victim of HC changes on very poor teams.

This guy is travelled but I bet he will do good in a stable environment.

Interesting ... he may have longer timing leash as McD .. may be here a little while ... knock on wood

15 hours ago, Rico said:

No Shula? I'm happy.

Trust the process.

Agreed .. enough with the Panther retreads ... glad they went outside the Charlotte to Buffalo connection

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

I'm struggling with a lot of people on here. Daboll was thought of as the McDaniels replacement if he didn't go with McDaniels to his new team. This means that he was good enough for Belichick and good enough for Saban, but not good enough for some message board arm chair coaches. 

Appears given all the pending changes to the NE staff .. he was either going to go with some of his alumni to their new coaching gigs or back to NE ... so if we finally stole something from those guys ahead of time as their busy getting ready for the Jags .. good by me.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Clearly Daboll is highly regarded by the best minds in football, he is detailed oriented, known as an innovator, has won alot of meaningful games, has intimate knowledge of the Pats and is from Western NY.  Plus he had that awesome 2nd half adjustment for Alabama.  I'm optimistic.

Having said that, we really need a QB

Amen

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, kdiggz said:

Hard to get excited about this hire. Those that like it want to believe he is some innovative young college OC. He called plays for 1 season at the college level and if you are excited about that then you didn't watch any Alabama football. I literally did not want to watch them many times because of how boring their games are. 

He is way more NFL retread than anything, most well known as the OC of the worst offensive attack in the entire league for 2 seasons in Cleveland. He also quickly wore out his welcome in KC where many described his play calling as horrible. He has super bowl rings as an assistant with the Patriots. Everyone does. The guys that deflated the footballs do  too. Even Vladamir Putin has one. Nothing exciting about that. If you are associated with the Pats you are going to get rings. Doesn't mean squat.

The Bills needed an OC to bring an NFL level passing attack and make us a legitimate offensive threat. What we got is a retread with a horrible reputation for calling plays and whose only success was with a team that ran the ball every play and won with defense (sound familiar?). Pardon me for not being excited with this hire but we are going to regret this and we will be looking for another OC after next season. Absolutely zero continuity is a good way to ruin a young QB and keep us in .500 purgatory forever

Great post. The only thing worse than watching the 2017 Bills offense is watching the Bama offense. My concern is the history of Daboll being ultra conservative. Those complaints were heard about him throughout his tenure as an NFL OC. I understand that he never had a QB, but he was not a creative OC. It would be very McDermott like to find the most coach Extremely conservative playcalling seems to be part of “the process”.

McDermott appears to be a good game planner, and excellent non gameday coach. He and Beane  seem to have a vision of how they want to build a cohesive team. My concern is that McD’s conservatism on gameday will ultimately be his downfall (ala Andy Reid). The Daboll hire seems to play directly into this flaw. Teams who make deep playoff runs are aggressive. I absolutely loved Doug Pederson’s coaching for the Eagles this weekend. We will never see that in Buffalo with McDermott. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Didn't it look like Ben R audibled into those two terrible 4th and short calls yesterday?

That's what Ross Tucker said. I was listening on the radio. I guess after the debacle at the end of the Steelers/Pats game, Ben didn't trust Haley's play calling. Same results...

8 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I'm not so sure about this. He was OC at Alabama. He knows their QBs. Why would he know or even care what other college team's QBs are good at?  Especially ones he didn't play against. How mush does he know about the Allen?  Or Falk? Or any PAC 12 for that matter?

I would think the Bills scouting department knows more.

When was the last time Alabama drafted a franchise QB?

8 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Great post. The only thing worse than watching the 2017 Bills offense is watching the Bama offense. My concern is the history of Daboll being ultra conservative. Those complaints were heard about him throughout his tenure as an NFL OC. I understand that he never had a QB, but he was not a creative OC. It would be very McDermott like to find the most coach Extremely conservative playcalling seems to be part of “the process”.

McDermott appears to be a good game planner, and excellent non gameday coach. He and Beane  seem to have a vision of how they want to build a cohesive team. My concern is that McD’s conservatism on gameday will ultimately be his downfall (ala Andy Reid). The Daboll hire seems to play directly into this flaw. Teams who make deep playoff runs are aggressive. I absolutely loved Doug Pederson’s coaching for the Eagles this weekend. We will never see that in Buffalo with McDermott. 

You must have missed the 2nd half of the college championship. 

Getting the guy who was supposed to be the New England OC is a huge score for us, in that he would come here verses being the guy of the most successful franchise in the NFL.

This also tells me we have a plan to either get one of the quality fee agent QBs or draft one.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian