Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

I'm struggling with a lot of people on here. Daboll was thought of as the McDaniels replacement if he didn't go with McDaniels to his new team. This means that he was good enough for Belichick and good enough for Saban, but not good enough for some message board arm chair coaches. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

The easiest way to analyze him is like this:

Will he at least have a Quick Slant route called once per game? Answer: pretty sure he will

Will he at least call a screen pass of some sort even just once per game? Answer: pretty sure he will

Looks to me based on those answers, he's already an upgrade over Dennison...

But can he call a pass on 1st and goal from the 1 1/2?

Clearly Daboll is highly regarded by the best minds in football, he is detailed oriented, known as an innovator, has won alot of meaningful games, has intimate knowledge of the Pats and is from Western NY.  Plus he had that awesome 2nd half adjustment for Alabama.  I'm optimistic.

Having said that, we really need a QB

Just curious....I wonder how much influence does the head coach have on an OC during the game? Do HCs frequently override the OC and make the call themselves? What about QBs? Obviously, you would think if you have a veteran QB, and a young OC, there'd be times when the QB knows which play would be best, no?

For example, the Steelers' calls on those 2 fourth and one plays yesterday.....did Tomlin have anything to do with those? What about Ben R?

It'd be really interesting to know the stats regarding this matter, but I doubt that they're kept. Probably the only way to know would be to poll all the OCs in the league, and I'm sure no one would participate.

Edited by John in Jax

8 hours ago, JoeF said:

He's one of us....Brian Daboll is one of us.....he grew up a fan of this team.  He went to school with a Polian....This is not just some run of the mill hire.  This is a kid who has been to games as a fan; probably had a beer when less than legal-age at the Big Tree, tailgated with the masses.   He knows our pain because he feels it.  He even helped deliver some of it the last few years.  No one will be more motivated to win and win big....:D:wub:

If he ends up sucking it won't be because he doesn't care; he is just collecting a paycheck or because he bamboozled the Pegulas....hell he probably ran around his house like we all did when Andy Dalton hit Tyler Boyd.  Let's cut him some slack for a bit.  He's a brother.

So, he’s a Russ Brandon hire.   :D

49 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

I'm struggling with a lot of people on here. Daboll was thought of as the McDaniels replacement if he didn't go with McDaniels to his new team. This means that he was good enough for Belichick and good enough for Saban, but not good enough for some message board arm chair coaches. 

?

8 hours ago, JoeF said:

He's one of us....Brian Daboll is one of us.....he grew up a fan of this team.  He went to school with a Polian....This is not just some run of the mill hire.  This is a kid who has been to games as a fan; probably had a beer when less than legal-age at the Big Tree, tailgated with the masses.   He knows our pain because he feels it.  He even helped deliver some of it the last few years.  No one will be more motivated to win and win big....:D:wub:

If he ends up sucking it won't be because he doesn't care; he is just collecting a paycheck or because he bamboozled the Pegulas....hell he probably ran around his house like we all did when Andy Dalton hit Tyler Boyd.  Let's cut him some slack for a bit.  He's a brother.

But is he blue collar and does he bring a lunch pail to work?

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Well there you go!  I was right! Just this weekend I posted whether there was anyone in the college ranks that would be an OC candidate instead of all the NFL re-treads people were throwing out there.

I'm rarely right...so I just had to say it!

GO BILLS

I bet you either the AFC or NFC wins the Superbowl.  :D

• Like (+1) 1

Take a look around the NFL.  Most coaches/coordinators are only as good as the players they have on the roster.

Our success on offense (especially in the passing game) will most likely be determined on April 26-27, during the next NFL draft.

Let's take a close look at some of the other names being thrown around:

Mike McCoy was ridiculously successful as an offensive coordinator with the Broncos.  It even earned him a head coaching slot with the Chargers.  Many Bills fans were disappointed last offseason when he chose to return to Denver instead of joining our staff.  One season with Trevor Siemian under center instead of Peyton Manning, and suddenly the guy's reputation is trash.

Darrell Bevell had been a hot coaching candidate when the Seahawks were at the top of their game.  He was considered an innovative offensive playcaller.  Marshawn Lynch walks out of town, the running game goes to poop, and suddenly Bevell is a total idiot and the most predictable coordinator on the planet.  Did he forget how to call a football game, or did his talent take a nosedive?

Rob Chudzinski's coaching history looks like a roller coaster.  Cam Newton has a great rookie season, and "Chud" is credited with his development.  He goes to the Browns, fails to get anything from Brandon Weeden, and all of a sudden doesn't know anything about developing QBs.  He navigates over to the Colts with Andrew Luck, and somehow his QB genius is restored.  Luck gets hurt, and he becomes an idiot once again.

• Like (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Take a look around the NFL.  Most coaches/coordinators are only as good as the players they have on the roster.

Our success on offense (especially in the passing game) will most likely be determined on April 26-27, during the next NFL draft.

Let's take a close look at some of the other names being thrown around:

Mike McCoy was ridiculously successful as an offensive coordinator with the Broncos.  It even earned him a head coaching slot with the Chargers.  Many Bills fans were disappointed last offseason when he chose to return to Denver instead of joining our staff.  One season with Trevor Siemian under center instead of Peyton Manning, and suddenly the guy's reputation is trash.

Darrell Bevell had been a hot coaching candidate when the Seahawks were at the top of their game.  He was considered an innovative offensive playcaller.  Marshawn Lynch walks out of town, the running game goes to poop, and suddenly Bevell is a total idiot and the most predictable coordinator on the planet.  Did he forget how to call a football game, or did his talent take a nosedive?

Rob Chudzinski's coaching history looks like a roller coaster.  Cam Newton has a great rookie season, and "Chud" is credited with his development.  He goes to the Browns, fails to get anything from Brandon Weeden, and all of a sudden doesn't know anything about developing QBs.  He navigates over to the Colts with Andrew Luck, and somehow his QB genius is restored.  Luck gets hurt, and he becomes an idiot once again.

^^This guy gets it.

You could be a professor at armchair NFL GM university.      

Best party school in the USA.   Heavy drinking encouraged.:D

11 hours ago, PolishDave said:

If you don't think the Bills chose to be ground and pound of their own free will, then you must not really follow football very deeply.    At any point in the last three years, they could have went and got a different style of quarterback and started that guy if they so chose.    They didn't.    They didn't go get Shady because of their QB.   They went and got Shady because they WANTED to run the ball.   

Please stop it with the non sense... and if they had a QB who could throw reliably they wouold of thrown more. COMMON SENSE NEEDS TO BE APPLIED.

Nothing wrong with having a caliber of RB like Shady on the team

I would imagine that this hire, at least in part, is an acknowledgement of our OL being almost entirely under contract already and an effort to use a blocking scheme that they have been successful in rather than blowing the unit up and creating even more holes this offseason. Hopefully he gets his pick for QB and we take a step forwards.