I'll be first to ask: Would you fire Mike Tomlin?

Ennjay

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree.  A lot of the poor decisions on Sunday were Haley's

Onside kick is always HC decision.  It's part of clock management as well.  And understanding your Defense.

Tomlin failed at everything with that one bad decision (not his only one).

31 minutes ago, seregil42 said:

Bill Cowher at least has the excuse that he never had a QB until Big Ben (reaching a Super Bowl with Neil O'Donnell).  And then he won the Super Bowl once he got him. 

O'Donnell was a very good QB, Stewart was a good QB, Maddox was a good QB.

Don't write off non-Super Bowl winning QBs just because the Bills haven't had a real QB since Jim Kelly.

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Onside kick is always HC decision.  It's part of clock management as well.  And understanding your Defense.

Tomlin failed at everything with that one bad decision (not his only one).

Oh, I agree - and ultimately, the buck for all decisions stops with the HC.

I do think Haley has persuaded the whole organization to go with his analytics/probability based approach, and I think if Haley hadn't made so many goofball calls, it wouldn't have come down to an onside kick.

But fundamentally the Steelers problem with that game is that their defense was facing a "meh" offense with a great RB, and they couldn't shut it down.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

22 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Don't write off non-Super Bowl winning QBs just because the Bills haven't had a real QB since Jim Kelly.

O'Donnell was ok, but in a league that had Kelly, Aikman, Elway, Montana, Young, etc, he wasn't good enough.  Same with Maddox.

In what world was Stewart a good QB?

18 minutes ago, row_33 said:

O'Donnell wasn't a very good QB.  He averaged about 14 TD's a year, career 81.8 rating,  57.8% completion percentage and only threw for 3,000 yards once.

Kordell Stewart was a terrible QB.  More INT's than TD's, 55.8% completion percentage, 70.7 rating and was benched multiple times.

Tommy Maddox was a terrible QB.  More INT's than TD's, 57.2% completion percentage, 72.4 rating, played for 5 teams in 9 years.

Cowher worked with crap before he got Big Ben.

27 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

O'Donnell wasn't a very good QB.  He averaged about 14 TD's a year, career 81.8 rating,  57.8% completion percentage and only threw for 3,000 yards once.

Kordell Stewart was a terrible QB.  More INT's than TD's, 55.8% completion percentage, 70.7 rating and was benched multiple times.

Tommy Maddox was a terrible QB.  More INT's than TD's, 57.2% completion percentage, 72.4 rating, played for 5 teams in 9 years.

Cowher worked with crap before he got Big Ben.

a Bills fan calling other teams QBs terrible?

that is to laugh... and using those stats is even more laughable

I'd have taken O'Donnell and Stewart and Maddox and even Tomczak in a heartbeat over any Bills QB since Jim Kelly

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I'd have taken O'Donnell and Stewart and Maddox and even Tomczak in a heartbeat over any Bills QB since Jim Kelly

You completely changed the argument.  We aren't discussing if any of them were better than the Bills QBs of the past 20 years.  But keep laughing, I suppose.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, row_33 said:

Let me get this straight, since we have had bad QB's, I can't call other QB's bad?  I guess I can't call Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf bad.  What kind of logical thinking is that?

Those stats are even more laughable? Across the board, their stats are absolutely terrible.  I guess you like QB's that turn the ball over more than they score.  Geezus.

2 minutes ago, seregil42 said:

You completely changed the argument.  We aren't discussing if any of them were better than the Bills QBs of the past 20 years.  But keep laughing, I suppose.

Mike Tomzack and Kordell Stewart over Drew Bledsoe LOL....

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Let me get this straight, since we have had bad QB's, I can't call other QB's bad?  I guess I can't call Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf bad.  What kind of logical thinking is that?

Those stats are even more laughable? Across the board, their stats are absolutely terrible.  I guess you like QB's that turn the ball over more than they score.  Geezus.

Mike Tomzack and Kordell Stewart over Drew Bledsoe LOL....

Good lord, I would have even been tempted to take Rob Johnson over Kordell Stewart...

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Pretty good points by Brooks.

They are valid points, but so is the fact that Tomlin has a HOF QB, arguably the best RB in the NFL, the best WR in the NFL and yet can't get it done year after year.  Imagine if Belicheck had those guys at his disposal.  And again, Cowher didn't have any QB to work with until Ben. 

Heck, John Harbaugh won a Super Bowl with less talent than what Tomlin has.

I think Tomlin is an okay coach, but he is definitely under-achieving.

• Like (+1) 1