Ron Torbert the head ref in the Titans vs Pats game

Buffalo03

2 hours ago, Buddo said:

Tbh, this stuff has been around ages, yet nothing has ever been done about it.

From the moment a deal was done with his company, he should have been excluded from doing Pats games, and possibly from AFC games generally.

The NFL either isn't that bothered by it, or, possibly, there are so many other similar 'ties' around, that they don't want to open up a bigger can of worms.

2 hours ago, CLTbills said:

Unbelievable. I made the decision last night that I will not watch another patriots game. Ever. Not a playoff game, super bowl, not even a game against the Bills. That game was so blatantly and clearly one-sided as far as officiating goes... how are there not investigations into this kind of thing?

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

There were two really bad calls I saw against the Titans, one a phantom OPI and the other the one where the D lineman shifted and was called for a neutral zone infraction, giving the Pats a first down.  Torbert didn't make either of those calls.  And it wasn't his regular crew working -- in the playoffs, the put together the top-ranked guys from each ref position and make sort of all-star crews.  So don't blame Torbert for those calls. 

Still this stinks.  There shouldn't be any perception of bias.

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

It was crazy. I think that was the straw that broke the camels back. I've never seen or heard from so many people that just turned the game off and said they'd never watch a cheats game again

I'm in the same boat.  It's not just the Pats.  Inconsistency in ref'ing is ruining the game, especially when momentum-shifting calls seem to go against one team and the refs seem to NOT call some pretty blatant fouls against the other team.  Still, TBH, I thought the Titans got where they were, winning over KC, on some pretty fishy calls (what forward momentum?)

If all of us who feel this way wrote a letter to Roger Goodell explaining that we will no longer watch televised Pats games (or any games but our own teams) until they really dig in and fix the problem of possible conflicts of interest and  bias in the referees, and inconsistency in the calls, it might get some attention.  Especially if we all get 2 friends and neighbors to write and they....

2 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

It seems like the Refs help NE because they always win. When you get called for a penalty vs NE they typically turn it into points. Most teams need to play perfect games vs NE to win.

It honestly doesn't matter if it "seems" or if it "is" - the refs calling NE games should NOT have the perception of bias.  It doesnt matter if it's not the head ref making the call, if he's the guy writing the other refs evaluation that determines what games they get, there's still conflict of interest.  Personally I think fantasy football is a big problem - aren't refs allowed to play it?  Get rid of the conflict of interest - it is not so hard.

The big problem facing the NFL is inconsistent calling and enforcement of penalties by the refs.

13 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I don't understand how his arm has gotten stronger in his 30's and now 40's. His pocket movement seems quicker as he ages. I know he is a health nut but it doesn't make sense.

You know, when the cream jar is tipped over and empty and the cat is nearby licking its paws and cleaning its fur, you probably don't need to actually see the cat's head in the cream jar to figure out what happened.

In this case, Brady is best buddies with a snake oil salesman who has had all kinds of run ins with the FDA and FTC for false claims.  You might not need to actually see the needles to think that Dr Snake Oil is probably helping Brady out with some substances.  IMHO his notable outbursts and "short trigger" this year are circumstantial evidence.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Unbelievable. I made the decision last night that I will not watch another patriots game. Ever. Not a playoff game, super bowl, not even a game against the Bills. That game was so blatantly and clearly one-sided as far as officiating goes... how are there not investigations into this kind of thing?

I turned it off in the 2nd quarter. I could not stand to what was happening with the officiating. [ not good for my blood pressure ]

This has become so apparent I am amazed that the other teams in the league don't protest. 

21 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I don't understand how his arm has gotten stronger in his 30's and now 40's. His pocket movement seems quicker as he ages. I know he is a health nut but it doesn't make sense.

Kale shakes and avocado ice cream, obviously. <_<

2 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

The worst part about watching yesterday was Tom Brady looked 25. He has to be taking something. No one in sports history has done what he's doing. 

Of course there is--in fact he plays in the same league and his stats are far more outrageous than Brady's.

It's interesting that Brees (he turns 39 tomorrow and in his 17th season), always escapes this same scrutiny.

His numbers are insane since he turned 30--he's averaged over 5000 yards per year for the past 7 years! He hasn't missed a start since 2009. 

but wait there were lots of flags on the cheats however thats when game is clearly over and we need to pad the stats to show same or more penalties on the cheats.   The NFL isn't losing viewership because of players not standing for Anthem its because this franchise has cheated, still cheats and is hated by most of the country

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Of course there is--in fact he plays in the same league and his stats are far more outrageous than Brady's.

It's interesting that Brees (he turns 39 tomorrow and in his 17th season), always escapes this same scrutiny.

His numbers are insane since he turned 30--he's averaged over 5000 yards per year for the past 7 years! He hasn't missed a start since 2009. 

Brees has never really changed. Get him outdoors and he struggles throwing.

7 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

The problem is so much bigger than torbert. I wish it was just a problem of this guy's bias.

Unfortunately it's just about all of them. They are afraid to anger their scumbag overlord Robert Kraft, even Goodell is afraid of him.

Pats just take advantage of every call they get, other teams don't.

4 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Brees has never really changed. Get him outdoors and he struggles throwing.

Not the truth.

He has thrown for over 30,000 yards 200 TDs and a 91 rating outdoors.  72 wins in the dome, 70 outside.

Even ignoring that falsehood, how is Brees able to put up these numbers every year at his advanced age? 

3 hours ago, CLTbills said:

I had stopped watching Patriots* playoff games, but made an exception with last year's super bowl (I live in Atlanta.)  That was a joy.  It really is like the Patriots* are the Harlem Globetrotters and everyone else is the Washington Generals.  What is so exasperating is that without cheating and blatant favoritism, the Patriots are legitimately formidable.  But it's got to be dismaying as an opponent to know that you are always playing the team and the refs.  Seems like a tipping point should already have been reached where fans say the hell with it.  It's just not fun to watch games where the entitled are always given a helping hand, made worse by the gloating charge of envy and dismissal of any wrong-doing by their boatloads of bandwagon fans.

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not the truth.

He has thrown for over 30,000 yards 200 TDs and a 91 rating outdoors.  72 wins in the dome, 70 outside.

Even ignoring that falsehood, how is Brees able to put up these numbers every year at his advanced age? 

I think that the longevity of both Brady and Brees has more to do with the era they play in. QBs are more protected than ever, that along with healthier lifestyles contribute. I don’t watch the Saints as much as I watch Patriots. It is obvious to me that the officials protect Brady more tha any QB in the league and I believe opponents know that. Tyrod Taylor took a beating last week, had his head intentionally slammed into the ground with no call. I’ve seen Brady pushed by one hand on his shoulder result in a penalty. Last night’s game was just a microcosm of the issue. It was just so blatant and in your face. Then add to that the fact that Ron Torbert is an executive with company that was Gillette Stadium project manager, it just doesn’t smell right.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, chris heff said:

I think that the longevity of both Brady and Brees has more to do with the era they play in. QBs are more protected than ever, that along with healthier lifestyles contribute. I don’t watch the Saints as much as I watch Patriots. It is obvious to me that the officials protect Brady more tha any QB in the league and I believe opponents know that. Tyrod Taylor took a beating last week, had his head intentionally slammed into the ground with no call. I’ve seen Brady pushed by one hand on his shoulder result in a penalty. Last night’s game was just a microcosm of the issue. It was just so blatant and in your face. Then add to that the fact that Ron Torbert is an executive with company that was Gillette Stadium project manager, it just doesn’t smell right.

No, no. Just listen to thetruthhurts... The pats are just better at "taking advantage" than other teams. Nothing untoward here...

...yeah, right.

Hmm...maybe that's the most compelling reason we need a new stadium.

Pegula can target every company a ref is involved with and sign them up to work on the stadium along with some "under the table" money...

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, cd1 said:

I turned it off in the 2nd quarter. I could not stand to what was happening with the officiating. [ not good for my blood pressure ]

This has become so apparent I am amazed that the other teams in the league don't protest. 

I know, seriously, right? Like grow some balls and call it out hard core at a press conference. We get dozens of frustrated sound bites from players and coaches who all go right to the edge of saying they're cheating scumbags, but no one says it explicitly and demands that the league do something. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Joe Montana never was sacked more than 35 times and only 4 times was sacked more than 30 times.

Brady has been sacked 452 times--7 seasons more than 30 sacks.  Brady was hit 84 times this year--far more than Cam Newton, Eli, Big Ben....

From 2009-2017, the QB who generated the most roughing the passer penalties was......Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Brady is 9th on that list (behind even CaM Newton, who everyone says is getting murdered out there with no flags thrown).

Drew Brees has more roughing calls for him than Brady. 

Per 100 pass attempts, Brady is ranked 26th in penalties called.

Per game, Brady is 23rd in roughing penalties called. 

What's "obvious to" you isn't backed up with stats. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not the truth.

Struggles was a poor word. He's better indoors. Brees has never been a big arm strength guy. Accuracy was always his biggest attribute.

Edited by TheTruthHurts