Ron Torbert the head ref in the Titans vs Pats game

Buffalo03

I commented in the Pats vs Titans game post how Ron Torbert the head referee in that game, is the Vice President of the legal team for Barton Malow which is the company that was the project manager in the building of Gillette Stadium. This means that Robert Kraft paid this company money which Ron Torbert has a Vice President title to to have Gillette Stadium built. Some people didn't believe me or thought there was no way it could be true. I have posted the two links below, one that shows he is Vice President if you scroll down a bit and the other is a wikipedia page for Gillette Stadium which shows Barton Malow as project manager. This is a clear conflict of interest if you ask me. I don't know how this guy could be allowed to ref a Pats game much less a Pats playoff game

http://www.bartonmalow.com/voices/2014-vice-president-promotions

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillette_Stadium

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Clearly a conflict of interest. You can't make this stuff up.

From his wiki lol

Ronald Torbert is an American football officialin the National Football League (NFL) since the 2010 NFL season. He wears uniform number 62 for the New England Patriots and is seen as their “12th man.”

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 4

Tbh, this stuff has been around ages, yet nothing has ever been done about it.

From the moment a deal was done with his company, he should have been excluded from doing Pats games, and possibly from AFC games generally.

The NFL either isn't that bothered by it, or, possibly, there are so many other similar 'ties' around, that they don't want to open up a bigger can of worms.

I suppose it's also possible that they could leave themselves open to being sued from a personal point of view, in relation to implied bias, or whatever.

Another thing is that they probably haven't got a 'rule' in place to do this discreetly.

Whichever way you want to look at it, it's pretty fishy, and shouldn't occur, but hey, it's only entertainment, right?

• Like (+1) 1

Unbelievable. I made the decision last night that I will not watch another patriots game. Ever. Not a playoff game, super bowl, not even a game against the Bills. That game was so blatantly and clearly one-sided as far as officiating goes... how are there not investigations into this kind of thing?

• Like (+1) 7

There were two really bad calls I saw against the Titans, one a phantom OPI and the other the one where the D lineman shifted and was called for a neutral zone infraction, giving the Pats a first down.  Torbert didn't make either of those calls.  And it wasn't his regular crew working -- in the playoffs, the put together the top-ranked guys from each ref position and make sort of all-star crews.  So don't blame Torbert for those calls. 

Still this stinks.  There shouldn't be any perception of bias.

15 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Unbelievable. I made the decision last night that I will not watch another patriots game. Ever. Not a playoff game, super bowl, not even a game against the Bills. That game was so blatantly and clearly one-sided as far as officiating goes... how are there not investigations into this kind of thing?

It was crazy. I think that was the straw that broke the camels back. I've never seen or heard from so many people that just turned the game off and said they'd never watch a cheats game again

It seems like the Refs help NE because they always win. When you get called for a penalty vs NE they typically turn it into points. Most teams need to play perfect games vs NE to win. 

The worst part about watching yesterday was Tom Brady looked 25. He has to be taking something. No one in sports history has done what he's doing. 

32 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I'm in the same boat.  

I didn't watch last night and won't watch The Super Bowl if they make it.

49 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

It seems like the Refs help NE because they always win. When you get called for a penalty vs NE they typically turn it into points. Most teams need to play perfect games vs NE to win. 

The worst part about watching yesterday was Tom Brady looked 25. He has to be taking something. No one in sports history has done what he's doing. 

Wasnt his trainer arrested for something fishy? Like pushing illegal Chinese supplements or something???

This franchise has weird **** going on everywhere you look.  They've been caught twice.  And people still give them benefit of the doubt.  I don't get it.  

1 hour ago, Buddo said:

Tbh, this stuff has been around ages, yet nothing has ever been done about it.

From the moment a deal was done with his company, he should have been excluded from doing Pats games, and possibly from AFC games generally.

The NFL either isn't that bothered by it, or, possibly, there are so many other similar 'ties' around, that they don't want to open up a bigger can of worms.

I suppose it's also possible that they could leave themselves open to being sued from a personal point of view, in relation to implied bias, or whatever.

Another thing is that they probably haven't got a 'rule' in place to do this discreetly.

Whichever way you want to look at it, it's pretty fishy, and shouldn't occur, but hey, it's only entertainment, right?

0cd64e18de229bd1064157716c8d60fb8bed31d5

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Wasnt his trainer arrested for something fishy? Like pushing illegal Chinese supplements or something???

This franchise has weird **** going on everywhere you look.  They've been caught twice.  And people still give them benefit of the doubt.  I don't get it.  

Because they're just so good.........(sarcasm)

21 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Yeah, I believe that Guerrero dude was investigated by the feds on a number of occasions for making false claims about being a doctor, and that whatever snake oil he was pushing could cure cancer, Parkinson’s and AIDS. 

Shady as hell, and not in the good LeSean way. 

All the chowderheads can do is post “butthurt” memes too, meanwhile the entire rest of the leagues’ fans with two eyes and a brain question what’s going on up there. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Making false medical claims for supplements:
" Before he partnered with Brady, Guerrero faced sanctions by federal regulators after falsely presenting himself as a medical doctor and deceptively promoting nutritional supplements, according to government records. In one case, Guerrero offered a “drink that protects your brain from the consequences of sports-related traumatic brain injury” that was endorsed by Brady. Guerrero later stopped selling it. "

That wasn't the only thing either.  " Those weren’t the only extraordinary claims Dr. Guerrero made (for a product called "Supreme Green"). He also “promoted the product as, among other things, an effective treatment, cure, and preventative for cancer, heart disease, arthritis, and diabetes, and as a means of achieving substantial weight loss of up to 80 pounds in 8 months,”

53 minutes ago, peterpan said:

I don't understand how his arm has gotten stronger in his 30's and now 40's. His pocket movement seems quicker as he ages. I know he is a health nut but it doesn't make sense.

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I don't understand how his arm has gotten stronger in his 30's and now 40's. His pocket movement seems quicker as he ages. I know he is a health nut but it doesn't make sense.

I don’t know that his arms still getting stronger as much as he just hasn’t fallen off the cliff as bad as someone like manning did. But favre was still an mvp candidate until about right now. 

As for officiating — Gillette was built 20 years ago. Like 10-15 before this guy even started reffing or joined the company. It’s a bit of a stretch, but get the appearance and agree the Nfl is terrible about it. The saints falcons Thursday night game (where Sean Payton got a 15 yarder for trying to get a timeout called) was reffed by a former falcons player. You’d think given the number of crews and games they’d avoid pairings like these