Zay Jones played injured all season...

Domdab99

12 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

LOL... does a hurt shoulder make the hands weaker? we'll see....

Actually, I am sure it would, if by "hands" one means "ability to catch" and grip a ball.  More arm, shoulder, and chest strength involved than actual hands.

Edited by BobChalmers
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

YES, YES it does!

A hurt shoulder can drop you to your knees.

This is good news. I hope the surgery will restore him to his college form.

• Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Stopping just short of saying yes, I saw nothing to suggest he’ll be here for the 4 years of his contract. For such a prolific college career, he’s a sloppy route runner and his league worst ratio of passes/completions isn't a fluke. If a damaged shoulder prevents a WR from catching MULTIPLE passes right into his hands or belly, then wth was he even doing being active? Does a damaged shoulder prevent a WR from breaking a tackle? I don’t recall a single broken tackle adding any YAC. Then again, a WR has to actually catch a pass before considering what to do next. 

Starting so many games shouldn’t be viewed as being a productive rookie. We know it was because there was nobody else on the roster.

This sums it up perfectly.

12 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

In all seriousness.....does anyone REALLY think this kid is not going to get better?

The character is too high....the work ethic is too high.....he already has the physical tools

If there is any player to bet on who is going to make a major leap forward is this kid. As you noted he has the tools and the work ethic to translate into production. He was too productive in college not to believe that it can't translate to the pro game. The next step is to get a qb who can accurately throw and read defenses. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

In all seriousness.....does anyone REALLY think this kid is not going to get better?

The character is too high....the work ethic is too high.....he already has the physical tools

I'd list the QBs we've said these exact same things about over the past 18 years, but I don't want to crash TBD.

13 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

I injured a nerve in my shoulder coming up 3 years ago whilst attending my mom in an ICU/CCU stay.  Nothing was torn or dislocated.  The pain was so bad I couldn't sleep without drugs, and ordinary hand movements to grasp and move objects like coffee pots, potted plants etc brought shooting pain where I had to fight the natural reflex to let go (and drop it).

It seems entirely plausible to me based on that experience (not weaker per se but slower to react and more difficult to make grip)

33 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'd list the QBs we've said these exact same things about over the past 18 years, but I don't want to crash TBD.

If them's Bills QBs it's all too short of a list

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, BobChalmers said:

Actually, I am sure it would, if by "hands" one means "ability to catch" and grip a ball.  More arm, shoulder, and chest strength involved than actual hands.

If any 'outside force' (aka, a DB) pulled at the ball, it would feel like your arm was being torn out of the socket.

Probably should have been sent to IR.

Probably didn't help that TT threw quite a few passes bordering on "out of reach" with that type of injury.  Let's hope the torn labrum contributed to some of the poor performance.  He appears to be hard worker, and I like that he still tried to gut it out and it is only heard about after the season.

Edited by richardb1952

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If there is any player to bet on who is going to make a major leap forward is this kid. As you noted he has the tools and the work ethic to translate into production. He was too productive in college not to believe that it can't translate to the pro game. The next step is to get a qb who can accurately throw and read defenses. 

Zay had me at 'wearing the OJ chase t-shirt on draft day'.... but I wouldn't bet a nickel on him making any major leaps forward. 

Zay is a borderline bust, an almost first-round draft pick who could not hang onto the ball.  It always seemed to glance off his mitts as though they were frying pans.  He needs to dramatically improve this to see the field again, let alone stick in this league.  I don't really care about the labrum injury, or who his dad is, or whatever he did at ECU.  

I always hate looking back at who was picked in the draft and complaining about the guy we settled on.  Draft hindsight is always 20/20, and the fact that we hired Zay's college coach as his position coach is only hurting my belief in him at this point. 

JuJu Smith-Schuster was taken about 25 picks after Zay, and has so outperformed him (and nearly every other NFL WR) in the last half of his rookie season that it is mind-boggling.  I realize Juju has a much better, likely HOF-caliber QB... but #19 has been nothing short of a dynamic playmaker for Pittsburgh who stole Martavis Bryant's job in short order.  I would argue he is probably already among the top 5 WRs in the league at this moment.  He can do it all.

And that semi-cheapshot crackback on Vontaze Burfict a few weeks ago was just magnificent, and could only be administered by a player with immensely brass stones.  Juju is 6'3", and just turned 21 maybe a month ago.  But If he didn't fully commit to that crackback on a true cheap shot artist who outweighs him by about 35 lbs., #19 would probably have taken the impact himself.  For Burfict, it was a beautiful representation of the karma police a-calling in that tough Steeler/Bengal rivalry.  

I think Zay might seriously need to try a sports psychologist this offseason.  It was that bad.  

And I can't wait to see what Juju can do against those Jags DBs today!

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They can't go into the season with Zay slotted as the 2nd or even 3rd WR on the depth chart. 

Need an upgrade opposite Benjamin.

I’ve been loud about adding 1, if not 2, guys. 

If we can use next years first (or by miracle stay put) and get the qb with 21 and not a lot more this year— we can quickly add a LB, CB, WR and RB by the end of the third (I know this board looooves rb and cb on that list)

pick up an offensive and defensive lineman in free agency and you could actually have most holes fillled and work in a little depth with lower tier signings and picks in the 4-5th rounds

It's tough for these gadgety receivers to make their mark as rookies. A lot of them really struggle initially. I do like that fact that he never complained about the injury as the year was going. It would have been easy to make excuses when he was dropping big passes. While he is still technically making excuses, I'm glad it came after the season. 

With our qb situation it really didn't matter whether our wr's we're healthy or not. Because TT rarely threw to them.  I appreciate Zay's determination in playing hurt, but he should've stepped down and give other guys like Reilly an opportunity.  When Sammy played hurt it just didn't work out.  He'll be better this fall alongside a healed KB.

Let's not make excuses for the bum. How many balls were right in his hands and he could not hang on.  Don't blame Tyrod for those.  Kid can't catch the damn ball.  Should be released.