Zay Jones played injured all season...

Domdab99

Shoulder injury can definitely get into your head .... "How can I do X without pain?"

Anybody here that is in construction can probably remember a period when they thought their arm would just fall off like a rag.

Brushing your teeth or shaving can be a challenge.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

The shoulder bone's connected to the...oh, never mind!

And isn't this a violation of the league's injury reporting policy?

Yes unless you are Cheats.  Maybe he did not tell team.

And I do not think he will get better w/o a new WR coach.

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

A shoulder injury could explain some of the drops.  It doesn't explain the lack of separation.

Then again, he was just a rook.  Some WRs need a year or two to adapt to the NFL.

I hope he does not have a sophomore slump.

2 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

In all seriousness.....does anyone REALLY think this kid is not going to get better?

The character is too high....the work ethic is too high.....he already has the physical tools

He's in his own mind now, was even double clutching the balls he did catch. I'd say it's about a50-50 shot he's ever any good. Totally on him to turn it around. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

2 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

This is actually good news...maybe a healthy Zay will do better next year.

Correction, this COULD be good news, but it doesn't explain why the coaching staff allowed him to play every week,

IF he had a bad shoulder. Zay might be moved to the trade list if some other team is dumb enough to believe this story.

5 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Since when has desire and effort guaranteed improvement. I'm not saying it won't happen, but there was very little to get excited about 

Don't confuse effort with results :)

5 hours ago, fridge said:

Injury or not, he can only improve, right?

Not necessarily.

9 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

In all seriousness.....does anyone REALLY think this kid is not going to get better?

The character is too high....the work ethic is too high.....he already has the physical tools

Agreed! The kid caught 399 balls in college people. His hands are fine. If anything, I hope his nerves settle down and we find an outside WR this offseason so he can move back to his natural slot position

Edited by BuffAlone
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

Stopping just short of saying yes, I saw nothing to suggest he’ll be here for the 4 years of his contract. For such a prolific college career, he’s a sloppy route runner and his league worst ratio of passes/completions isn't a fluke. If a damaged shoulder prevents a WR from catching MULTIPLE passes right into his hands or belly, then wth was he even doing being active? Does a damaged shoulder prevent a WR from breaking a tackle? I don’t recall a single broken tackle adding any YAC. Then again, a WR has to actually catch a pass before considering what to do next. 

Starting so many games shouldn’t be viewed as being a productive rookie. We know it was because there was nobody else on the roster.

9 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

If the shoulder injury is what made him play so poorly then he should have been shut down when it was apparent he couldn't play effectively through it.

I agree. If he was so injured he could not play well, by continuing to start him, it is just yet another case of bad management by the coaching staff.  An injury like this that so affected his performance may excuse him for being a gamer and trying to play through an injury, but it offers no excuse for bad management by the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

Its really a bit bit of a coin flip. I said the same early but the longer it dragged the harder it might be to right the ship. I’m not one to Bank much on preseason, but I hope he has a really strong August and makes a few big plays right out of the gate in September. If he rolls into the season without many touches and has a rough week 1- even you have to worry some, right?

This wouldn't allow him to get off the line very well using his hands that's for sure.  May have hurt his ability to separate on slants and even quick routes.  

I think the other thing is when you look at all 22 tyrod missed him a lot. 

• Like (+1) 1