Zay Jones played injured all season...

Domdab99

1 hour ago, cale said:

Was an injured Zay Jones really better than another healthy WR? I don't get this logic. Why didn't they get him fixed and use someone far more effective?

Why not? Tyrod made Kelvin Benjamin and Jordan Matthews look like bums this year, and Watkins & Woods before that. It wouldn't have mattered if he had Jerry Rice and Randy Moss out there, we'd still be dead last in YAC.

Edited by BullBuchanan

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Why not? Tyrod made Kelvin Benjamin and Jordan Matthews look like bums this year, and Watkins & Woods before that. It wouldn't have mattered if he had Jerry Rice and Randy Moss out there, we'd still be dead last in YAC.

Its a fair question. All the blame doesn't fall on TT. The WRS deserve their share of the blame as well as they struggled to get separation all year.

Having Jones as the 2 receiver especially while he was hurt and not producing at all, makes absolutely no sense

Just now, billsfan11 said:

The WRS deserve their share of the blame as well as they struggled to get separation all year.

Nonsense. I watched them run free constantly. The big difference is that to Taylor a step or, god forbid, a CB on the wrong hip is still covered. We saw when Peterman came in that plays were there to be made. He missed a lot more than he hit, but that's a limitation on his own development, not on the WRs. If Taylor QB'd the vikings, he checks that 4th down throw to Mike Tolbert who stole McKinnon's jersey before the last drive.

On 1/14/2018 at 11:45 PM, Luka said:

PFF deemed 40% of his targets uncatchable and with the way PFF is, it was probably more in the 50-60% range. But let's go with 40%. That's 30 balls his way completely uncatchable. So now you're down to 27 catches on 45 "catchable" passes. Not every incomplete pass is a drop so out of 18 incomplete passes I'd say 10 actual drops is a pretty accurate representation of his season.

Have a nice day.

3/4 of Big Ben's TD passes on Sunday were uncatchable.

Yeah, Dropzone Jones probably flat-out dropped 10-12 of the 45 wide open,  well placed passes........and that is just an awful %.

But the bigger issue still was not making plays.

He's a guy that is built to catch contested passes.........big, long arms, huge catch radius with big hands that were like glue in college.

Yet everything that was thrown to him in contested situations he could not make a play on.

Tyrod put a bunch of perfectly thrown balls on Jones hands and he just couldn't make a single contested grab.   They needed him to be able to make plays on those nine routes and he just could not.

It was uncanny.   He at no point looked like an NFL WR this year.    If he had just been some 6th round pick he'd have been cut for sure for all the drops and bobbles.

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Nonsense. I watched them run free constantly. The big difference is that to Taylor a step or, god forbid, a CB on the wrong hip is still covered. We saw when Peterman came in that plays were there to be made. He missed a lot more than he hit, but that's a limitation on his own development, not on the WRs. If Taylor QB'd the vikings, he checks that 4th down throw to Mike Tolbert who stole McKinnon's jersey before the last drive.

Call it nonsense all you want, read the article.

What was the Bills weak link going into the season?

QB and WRS I would say. And they ended up both being weak.

Don't fool yourself by saying Zay Jones had a good year and TT deserves all the blame for his lack of production.

You really cant have much worse of a season than he did

3 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Don't fool yourself by saying Zay Jones had a good year and TT deserves all the blame for his lack of production.

Agree.  With hands of stone like his, I doubt he'll make it through training camp.  

1 minute ago, Badthingsman said:

Agree.  With hands of stone like his, I doubt he'll make it through training camp.  

I mean, he will because they invested a 2nd round pick in him and he was hurt last year.

But for people to defend Jones last year just makes absolutely no sense to me.

The guy was awful in literally every single category.

I'm not calling him a bust, but it's time for people to call a spade a spade as well. Jones had an awful first year

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan11 said:

Maybe you should re-read it. The stat is at the time of QB release. Taylor has the longest time to throw in the league this year and at least 2015, not sure about '16. During that time, we've also ranked dead last in YAC. I put the blame on Taylor, because he doesn't release the ball at the top of routes, so WRS don't stay open. I just won't listen to the fact the Benjamin, Clay, Watkins, Woods gave him no weapons over the last two years. The guy is a total bum as a passer. Fix that and then we can worry about WRs.

Way too many here dismissing a shoulder injury like spoiled kids.  Last I checked, catches are generally made with two hands and a bad shoulder certainly affects the ability to position at least the hand on that arm.

i don’t know if Zay Jones will end up being a good NFL WR, but I really don’t understand the hate for the guy that some are showing.

MANY WRs struggle early in the NFL - see Eric Moulds’ first two years.  On top of that Jones had a shoulder injury that likely affected his arm movements AND he came from a lower-level of collegiate competition AND he appeared to have gutted his injury out without excuses AND many passes were off target.  I just don’t see the need to bury the guy so early.  If he doesn’t pan out, there will be plenty of time to tell everyone that you were so prescient that you knew he would suck.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Uh, OK.  I get it - “ someone must be responsible for this travesty”

You don't think there's a bit of a disconnect between Zays father saying that he couldn't lift a glass of water and Zay never appearing on the injury list and playing like garbage?

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Maybe you should re-read it. The stat is at the time of QB release. Taylor has the longest time to throw in the league this year and at least 2015, not sure about '16. During that time, we've also ranked dead last in YAC. I put the blame on Taylor, because he doesn't release the ball at the top of routes, so WRS don't stay open. I just won't listen to the fact the Benjamin, Clay, Watkins, Woods gave him no weapons over the last two years. The guy is a total bum as a passer. Fix that and then we can worry about WRs.

Ok you’re right. Zay was a monster last year 

1 minute ago, GG said:

You don't think there's a bit of a disconnect between Zays father saying that he couldn't lift a glass of water and Zay never appearing on the injury list and playing like garbage?

You misunderstood my post.  I DO think that is a mitigating factor.  I was trying to argue for some patience with Jones (see post just above)

Hands of Stone Jones will be released in training camp.  He's just no good.  Let's stop making excuses for the dozens of drops he had this year and his complete lack of getting open the rest of the time. 

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Gag.  Hurt the team.