Acquiring a Franchise QB

Mikie2times

11 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

For me, if the Bills draft a guy there’s onky 3 that will excite me: Rosen, Darnold, and Mayfield. If the Bills don’t get one of those three I’ll be hopeful but not optimistic. 

4 man, don't know why you don't have Rudolph a guy McD really wants IMO. Check him out the kid is a very good propect.

2 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

4 man, don't know why you don't have Rudolph a guy McD really wants IMO. Check him out the kid is a very good propect.

Where is the source for this?  I mean your opinion has to be based on some hunch.  What hunch gives you this impression?

Edited by NewEraBills

4 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Ive commented on him numerous times. I think Rudolph is gonna ultimately end up being our guy because he ozzes “process.” 

But I don’t love him as much as the other three. But I’d be cautiously optimistic with him. 

Edited by The_Dude

Just now, CajunBillsBacker said:

My personal ranking for QB’s are...

1) Rosen

2) Allen

3) Mayfield

4) Darnold

5) Jackson

6) Rudolph

IMO, the only QB worth taking in the top 5 is Rosen, but of course teams will reach. I’m pretty much on the Bills not reaching and revamp the QB position through free agency, and look for a rookie QB in round 2-3, unless Josh Allen is there at 21/22.

Allen needs a ton of work man, I have read reports he could end up the bust of the draft. Can't teach that accuracy. He has possible upside but IMO will need to sit a few seasons before ready.

Jackson is a runner before being a QB. IMO running QBs only last so long in the NFL and are pushed to be more of a passer once in the NFL, Jackson is run first. No thanks for Tyrod 2.0. So IMO

Rosen

Darnold

Mayfield

Rudolph 

Then the others that need more work and development.

The OP lays it pretty well.

What you have to add is the probability of each of the guys actually  making it. Even Rosen is far from a sure  thing, and after him there no telling.  Burning picks to take that chance is a huge risk.  

If I had a top 5 pick I'd take one.  If I had a top 10 I'd trade up. Trading p from 21 would be very costly. 

2 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Where is the source for this?  I mean your opinion has to be based on some hunch.  What hunch gives you this impression?

Heard reports they have scouted him a few times this season that have stated they really like him and is a good fit for McD just like reports of Darnold as well as a top choice of his.

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

The OP lays it pretty well.

What you have to add is the probability of each of the guys actually  making it. Even Rosen is far from a sure  thing, and after him there no telling.  Burning picks to take that chance is a huge risk.  

If I had a top 5 pick I'd take one.  If I had a top 10 I'd trade up. Trading p from 21 would be very costly. 

Well there is always the Whaley waiting game that takes us to the backups of the league of QB purgatory. The team has never spent big to get one, don't you think it is about time they give it a shot for once with all this draft capital they have? This team can fill in with FAs, they need a top talent at QB to start the true build around mentality IMO for this team to start any type of Destiny. To not ever try for one is why this team can never get one.

8 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Ive commented on him numerous times. I think Rudolph is gonna ultimately end up being our guy because he ozzes “process.” 

But I don’t love him as much as the other three. But I’d be cautiously optimistic with him. 

I want one of those 3 as well but doubt they will move up enough to land one of them. IMO Rudolph is a modest move up while getting a really good prospect 

Heard reports they have scouted him a few times this season that have stated they really like him and is a good fit for McD just like reports of Darnold as well as a top choice of his.

Gotcha.

I think another team you have to look out for is the one that MIGHT win the SB.  They are not trading up to the top 5 but they are definitely in the mode of looking for a guy they can groom behind Brady.  I read one article that suggests they really like Falk.

I'm going to start watching some Rudolph.  

6 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Gotcha.

I think another team you have to look out for is the one that MIGHT win the SB.  They are not trading up to the top 5 but they are definitely in the mode of looking for a guy they can groom behind Brady.  I read one article that suggests they really like Falk.

I'm going to start watching some Rudolph.  

Yeah check the kid out he is a very good prospect with a modest move up in the draft that worries me that another team will sneak up before us to grab him.

NE has the best ever QB that could end up playing another 4-5 years so lucky for them they can grab one that would sit a few years IMO, must be nice to have the NFL god that the refs love to protect. If we were in NEs position I for sure would check out Falk to sit a few seasons to develop.

Edited by xRUSHx

24 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

They have supposedly watched him a lot and Beane went to his bowl game personally. I am not saying it proves anything but there is reasonable white smoke at least to suggest Buffalo has an interest. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They have supposedly watched him a lot and Beane went to his bowl game personally. I am not saying it proves anything but there is reasonable white smoke at least to suggest Buffalo has an interest. 

....Beane personally scouted him at the bowl game....found this as well........

Crabbs | Mason Rudolph joins Senior Bowl QBs

Kyle Crabbs
Published on December 13, 2017

"Now, it won’t be the first time at least a handful of executives see Rudolph in the flesh (Senior Bowl). I visited West Virginia University in October for a showdown with the Pokes and Steelers GM Kevin Colbert, Bills GM Brandon Beane and Redskins Senior VP of Player Personnel Doug Williams were all in attendance. Not only that, all three were milling along the Oklahoma State sidelines during warm ups, keeping a watchful eye on the senior QB. "
  • Thank you (+1) 1

They should let the draft come to them.  Don't trade valuable picks to move up and select a QB in a class with quantity but not necessarily quality.  If a good prospect is there at 21, take him.  If not, focus on other areas and look to trade #22 to get an extra 1st rounder in 2019. 

• Like (+1) 1

Of all the QB listed, I would try to trade with Denver for Paxton Lynch. The kid has a ton of talent but simply isn't a good fit in Denver for one reason or another.

Also...STAY AWAY from Cincy backup AJ  McCarron. He can't  make the throws, has terrible footwork, and it took him forever to retain 1/3 of the playbook.  He is highly overrated.

Edited by Whodey1967

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

They should let the draft come to them.  Don't trade valuable picks to move up and select a QB in a class with quantity but not necessarily quality.  If a good prospect is there at 21, take him.  If not, focus on other areas and look to trade #22 to get an extra 1st rounder in 2019. 

Yeah waiting for a good QB to fall to us is something that has really helped this team find a really good one in the last few decades. SMH

22 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....Beane personally scouted him at the bowl game....found this as well........

Crabbs | Mason Rudolph joins Senior Bowl QBs

Kyle Crabbs
Published on December 13, 2017

"Now, it won’t be the first time at least a handful of executives see Rudolph in the flesh (Senior Bowl). I visited West Virginia University in October for a showdown with the Pokes and Steelers GM Kevin Colbert, Bills GM Brandon Beane and Redskins Senior VP of Player Personnel Doug Williams were all in attendance. Not only that, all three were milling along the Oklahoma State sidelines during warm ups, keeping a watchful eye on the senior QB. "

Pitt and Washington looking, dam man.

Also heard Denver is looking hard at him as well.

Edited by xRUSHx

Yeah waiting for a good QB to fall to us is something that has really helped this team find a really good one in the last few decades. SMH

When you pick in the 20's, the price to move up to get a top prospect is exorbitant.  And like I said, this draft has a lot of quantity but questionable quality.  And with the way it's gone the past several years, there have been as many good QB's selected beyond the top of the draft. 

4 hours ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

Depends what they want and who's available. Barkley is probably the best player in the draft, and will be available to them if the Browns and Giants both take a quarterback with the first 2 picks. They could also take the top tackle in Connor Williams, a consensus top 5 player that fits a massive need for them, especially if Luck can make a return. Might be hard to sway them to drop back almost 20 spots and miss out on both of those guys. 

If the GM is smart though one player will not fix what they need. The Colts should def trade out of 3rd overall if they intend to keep Luck. 

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

When you pick in the 20's, the price to move up to get a top prospect is exorbitant.  And like I said, this draft has a lot of quantity but questionable quality.  And with the way it's gone the past several years, there have been as many good QB's selected beyond the top of the draft. 

IMO I'd like to see them move up and get one of the top prospects for once and I really dont care what it costs but I can see what your saying. IMO going the later prospect route they will need to get a real good bridge that can help develop the later cheaper needing time prospect. Tyrod being the mentor is not a option IMO. Peterman got no help from him at all IMO unless you want to point out how he shows him how to hold a towel on his head after a 54 yard outing. The bridge QB brought in needs to use the same system so the kid learns all aspects and the team stays on the same page with all QBs. With Tyrod the kid won't learn anything but how a short bus scheme is made just for a short bus rider while the kid learns to ride the big bus NFL scheme all by himself like Peterman has been made to do.

Edited by xRUSHx

1 hour ago, Whodey1967 said:

Of all the QB listed, I would try to trade with Denver for Paxton Lynch. The kid has a ton of talent but simply isn't a good fit in Denver for one reason or another.

Also...STAY AWAY from Cincy backup AJ  McCarron. He can't  make the throws, has terrible footwork, and it took him forever to retain 1/3 of the playbook.  He is highly overrated.

Lynch sucks. Don’t bother wasting draft picks on other team’s scrubs.

Here's what I'm looking at as far as the grand landscape of NFL teams addressing the QB situation, either through the draft or FA.

1)  Browns

2)  Jets

3)  Cards

4)  Bills

5)  Steelers - Ben successor

6)  Patriots - Brady successor

7)  Saints - Brees successor

8)  Jags

9)  Chargers - Rivers successor

10) Broncos

11)  Redskins

So I think you have 11 teams that are going to do something about their QB situation whether to look for a franchise guy or a guy to groom as a successor to their franchise guy in the draft or in free agency.  We have our work cut out for us and I hope to the heavens that we can hit on a franchise guy in this draft because I'd hate to keep taking shots.  But that might be a part of the process :(