Acquiring a Franchise QB

Mikie2times

I don't think the Bills have a legitimate shot at Rosen or Darnold if he declares for the draft, the browns or Giants would be nuts not to secure those 2. I'm not sure what to make of Baker Mayfield, the guy has great accuracy, his arm strength is good, not great and he may be 5'10" when the combine starts which would be scary. Is he Johnny manziel or Russell Wilson? He is said to come with character flaws, so now you have a smallish QB with character concerns, is that something you want to trade up for? Josh Allen has all the physical tools you look for in a QB but his stats are Blaine Gabbertesque which should raise many red flags. Then you have Lamar Jackson who everyone here seems to be scared shitless of because he's a running QB,who had accuracy issues and is a running QB but has the arm strength to make all the throws and the legs to keep defenses honest but is he just another inaccurate bigger armed version of Tyrod Taylor? Last but not least and somehow Mason Rudolph creeps into the 1st round, he doesn't have a great arm but has the size and accuracy, when I watched many of Rudolph's games he doesn't hit the WR in stride, most of them had to stop and wait for the ball to get to them which is concerning. One of these players are most likely a Buffalo Bill come the 2018 NFL Draft so I'm getting familiar with them and not falling for any 1 guy in particular as each has their own flaws and strengths. If I had to pick today I think Lousiville QB Lamar Jackson would be the choice, I know some here can't stand him but you cannot deny his arm strength, how good he is getting away from pressure and his accuracy got better from the previous season.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

I think Darnold is gonna be a bust. He was downright bad in a lot of games this year. And a turnover machine. That's not gonna fly in the NFL...

He is the real life Bo Callahan.

Neither of your assertions is true.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I don't think the Bills have a legitimate shot at Rosen or Darnold if he declares for the draft, the browns or Giants would be nuts not to secure those 2. I'm not sure what to make of Baker Mayfield, the guy has great accuracy, his arm strength is good, not great and he may be 5'10" when the combine starts which would be scary. Is he Johnny manziel or Russell Wilson? He is said to come with character flaws, so now you have a smallish QB with character concerns, is that something you want to trade up for? Josh Allen has all the physical tools you look for in a QB but his stats are Blaine Gabbertesque which should raise many red flags. Then you have Lamar Jackson who everyone here seems to be scared shitless of because he's a running QB,who had accuracy issues and is a running QB but has the arm strength to make all the throws and the legs to keep defenses honest but is he just another inaccurate bigger armed version of Tyrod Taylor? Last but not least and somehow Mason Rudolph creeps into the 1st round, he doesn't have a great arm but has the size and accuracy, when I watched many of Rudolph's games he doesn't hit the WR in stride, most of them had to stop and wait for the ball to get to them which is concerning. One of these players are most likely a Buffalo Bill come the 2018 NFL Draft so I'm getting familiar with them and not falling for any 1 guy in particular as each has their own flaws and strengths. If I had to pick today I think Lousiville QB Lamar Jackson would be the choice, I know some here can't stand him but you cannot deny his arm strength, how good he is getting away from pressure and his accuracy got better from the previous season.

Outside of your take on Jackson I agree with everything. I don't see Jackson converting over well. Just too dependent on his legs. We will see.

This was sort of the purpose of the thread. People keep saying draft a franchise QB. I think many feel we could do that with our volume of picks. Not that simple. Lot of teams with QB interest drafting very high. Your two "Franchise" players are likely gone by 4. Your reach Franchise player = Allen or Baker is probably gone by 6. This thread is looking more at the top end of the draft. If we find value in the mid Allen/Rudolph/Jackson this isn't an issue.  I just don't like the idea of any of the 3.  

Edited by KzooMike

I think one of the primary cause of gratefully now over 17 year playoff drought has been our psychotic addiction to finding a franchise QB and in particular the new Jim Kelly which has led the Bills to make bad football judgment after bad football judgment that has resulted in us doing things like making athletes starters before they are ready (reaching to draft Todd Collins at rd 2, and then rushing him to start before the happy foot habit could be trained out of him, allocating too much cap space through mismanagement of the Flutie/RJ contracts, trading resource for the stupid Billy Joe Hobert, and a litany of miscues leading to the recent mangling of development of Peterman).

The simple fact is:

The Bills team was a surprise to most to even make the playoffs this year and with the second oldest roster in the NFL will almost certainly have to fight to "merely" make the playoffs again next year even if we reload in  the next draft with a lot of picks and we repeat the success in drafting youngsters we had this year.

This team IS NOT one franchise QB away from going deep in the playoffs and if our braintrust trades away the bounty of great draft picks to move up to get Rosen/Donald or whoever, it would be like putting a great V-8 engine into a covered wagon.  The Bills need reloading on the DL, at LB, WR and finding the next Shady.

We should not pass on reloading to get a Franchise QB, but instead look for a bridge QB to work with a reloaded team.  The Franchise QB is best found by this team acquiring a high potential vet (Bradford, Keenum, Bridgewater) and waiting until we build a solid team that actually is one player away before trading up for the next Ben Rothen...

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

If they are not I'm sure they are the best trade companion at #3.

Depends what they want and who's available. Barkley is probably the best player in the draft, and will be available to them if the Browns and Giants both take a quarterback with the first 2 picks. They could also take the top tackle in Connor Williams, a consensus top 5 player that fits a massive need for them, especially if Luck can make a return. Might be hard to sway them to drop back almost 20 spots and miss out on both of those guys. 

10 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

The situation will play itself out in FA. Cousins could stay in Washington, or sign with Denver or the Jets, maybe even the Cardinals...

And where do those two Minn QB's end up? (Bradford and Bridgewater) assuming that they sign and keep Keenum...

And then there is the Cinci backup QB McCarron whose status is unclear at the moment...

This will help clear the air as to who may be drafting a QB highly besides the Browns and Giants presumably,,,,

yeah you need to hope Cousins, McCarron and Luck take up 3 of these high pick QB need teams... don't hope too too much though..   the Bills look to be out of the running for a top QB in the best QB draft class in years.   Very Billsy of them.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Competition

Cleveland: Picks 1 and 4

Giants: Pick 2

Colts: Pick 3

Broncos: Pick 5

Jets: Pick 6 

Cleveland is taking a QB. 

Giants I think it is still in the balance. A lot of speculation that Gettleman wants to roll with Eli in 2018. 

Colts are not taking a QB. No way.

Broncos are going to sign a FA - they are an old team in win now who if they were wanting to wait for development would have tried to get Lynch on the field sooner. Cousins, Eli or Alex Smith will be their Quarterback in 2018. I doubt they draft one at 5. 

The Jets I'd say after Cleveland are the most certain to pick a QB. 

The Broncos are said to be in love with Baker Mayfield. They request him on their Senior Bowl team. Elway is more than likely taking a QB. 

Buffalo’s best option is Mason Rudolph or the kid from Western Kentucky. Trade back into early w2nd round if possible and use the others picks to get more depth.

Edited by KRT88

13 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Josh Allen sucks. Best odds are on Mason Rudolph being the pick. He seems to check a lot of boxes that seem important to B.B. and McD.

I agree,

what worries me about him is I have heard Denver is quietly in the run for him. My buddy in Denver said they might take him with the 1st pick but doubts it but thinks they will move up from there 2nd pick just ahead of Buffalo to snag him. IMO Buffalo has to at least move up a little if Denver doesn't pick him at there first pick to make sure they do not move up on Buffalo. I hope we just go for one of the top picks and grab Rosen or Darnold but would be very fine with Rudolph.

IMO I hope they stay far away from Allen,Jackson. Allen has bust all over him and Jackson is another Tyrod, no thanks.

1 hour ago, KRT88 said:

The Broncos are said to be in love with Baker Mayfield. They request him on their Senior Bowl team. Elway is more than likely taking a QB. 

Buffalo’s best option is Mason Rudolph or the kid from Western Kentucky. Trade back into early w2nd round if possible and use the others picks to get more depth.

Trade back and get Rudolph?

Good luck with that. This is exactly how Whaley never got a prospect that is franchise QB worthy, thinking a good QB will drop to him. Missed out on so many waiting too long.

Never happens to teams in big need of a QB, but hey one did that was a bad QB in a bad QB class because that one time he got the one he wanted nobody else wanted. If they want a top prospect QB from this class IMO they better be ready to move some to get him and it is forward not Whaley backwards. Moving forward you get choice at QB, moving back you get what is Whaley  left.

Edited by xRUSHx

To me it's going to be tough sledding unless you can get to 1 or 2 but then you've given up too many assets for a roster that has a lot of holes.  I mean here's how I look at it.  Let's say Rudolph is there at 21.  My question is, Do I really consider him a franchise QB (whatever I might mean by this)?  If my answer is no, why would I take him just to be taking him?  I'd take someone else here, a DT, DE, OG, or OT.  Same thing at 22.  IF I don't consider that guy a Franchise QB then I'm passing.  When I get to the 2nd round, I MIGHT take a flier on somebody at the QB position IF taking one here does not prevent me from filling another hole with another starting quality player.  

I hate that it is this way with QB's but I really think you have to ask yourself, do I consider X guy a franchise QB (whatever I mean by that)?  If the answer is no or if I am not sure then why take a guy there when you'll be just as unsure in the 2nd, 3rd rounds?  Just take one in then 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Then you may have to keep taking a crack at it until you hit.  Kinda sucks but that's just how I look at it outside of picks 1 or 2.

13 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

The situation will play itself out in FA. Cousins could stay in Washington, or sign with Denver or the Jets, maybe even the Cardinals...

And where do those two Minn QB's end up? (Bradford and Bridgewater) assuming that they sign and keep Keenum...

And then there is the Cinci backup QB McCarron whose status is unclear at the moment...

This will help clear the air as to who may be drafting a QB highly besides the Browns and Giants presumably,,,,

Don’t forget about Alex Smith. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Cleveland is taking a QB. 

Giants I think it is still in the balance. A lot of speculation that Gettleman wants to roll with Eli in 2018. 

Colts are not taking a QB. No way.

Broncos are going to sign a FA - they are an old team in win now who if they were wanting to wait for development would have tried to get Lynch on the field sooner. Cousins, Eli or Alex Smith will be their Quarterback in 2018. I doubt they draft one at 5. 

The Jets I'd say after Cleveland are the most certain to pick a QB. 

I just don't see Cousins leaving . I could see Smith in Denver but I for sure see a young QB taken by them to sit a year or two possibly behind Smith.

As for Eli I doubt the Giants move on from him, he will help develop a new young prospect from later in the draft IMO.

I agree Cleveland is taking a QB but when is the question. IMO there best bet is to grab one of Minn FAs and then take one with there second pick in the draft but maybe move back to around 10 to do it. The top QB picks do not want Cleveland anyway so why not wait a little while adding more top players and a extra pick or two. IMO

I also think the Colts will not draft one unless they find a team willing to pay a ransom for a broken Luck.

I also agree about the Jets and think they could also try hard to move up if QBs are taken off the board quickly and a team like the Giants or Colts are willing to trade with a team so the Jests could be the team to stop a team wanting to move up for a QB ahead of them IMO.

Edited by xRUSHx

My personal ranking for QB’s are...

1) Rosen

2) Allen

3) Mayfield

4) Darnold

5) Jackson

6) Rudolph

IMO, the only QB worth taking in the top 5 is Rosen, but of course teams will reach. I’m pretty much on the Bills not reaching and revamp the QB position through free agency, and look for a rookie QB in round 2-3, unless Josh Allen is there at 21/22. I seem to be higher on Allen than most others here.

Edited by CajunBillsBacker