Acquiring a Franchise QB

Mikie2times

Lot of conversation about us getting a QB in round one. I want to try and get that centered more in reality as far as what that likely means. 

Candidates

Josh Rosen- Top 5- I feel he will be the first off the board

Sam Darnold- Top 5- Worthy of a franchise QB pick. A bit concerned over turnovers last year. 

Josh Allen- Top 20- Incredible skill set, wanted to see it translate to Wyoming being ranked

Baker Mayfield- This years Deshaun Watson? Could be anywhere from first round to Top 10, even Top 5 (We will get into that)

Lamar Jackson- Late 1st/2nd- Incredible talent, but just don't see his skill converting

Mason Rudolph-Late 1st/2nd- Lot of people like him, so do I, but is he your pick to solve for a Franchise QB?

Competition

Cleveland: Picks 1 and 4

Giants: Pick 2

Colts: Pick 3

Broncos: Pick 5

Jets: Pick 6

Any QB with a reasonable expectation of being a Franchise QB will not get past the Jets. Broncos and Jets are desperate. It would seem implausible Cleveland passes at one then the Giants and Colts also pass. Things could look much different come draft time but from the looks of it now it would seem our target would have to be Cleveland's #4 with the hope that they go QB with the first overall.  Our two first round picks don't equal the value of the 4th pick on draft charts. With this many teams targeting QB's that pick is going to be at a premium. If it's Darnell or Rosen #4 might not even be enough to get it done. At which point do you like anybody else enough to jump to 4 because if you do they likely won't pass Denver or New York. We can talk drafting a Franchise QB and we likely have the resources to do it, but positioning to do so will not be easy.     

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Throw Washington in there as well. They’ll probably lose Cousins. But he might go to one of the teams listed above, removing them. 

I just stuck with the higher drafting teams with the viewpoint that at max 3 players fit the franchise label. Obviously anything can happen. We could take one later, but later doesn't really fit the mold of Franchise QB. 

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

Josh Allen sucks. Best odds are on Mason Rudolph being the pick. He seems to check a lot of boxes that seem important to B.B. and McD.

Agree, I think he is highly overrated and is the last guy I want out of all of them outside of Jackson. 

8 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

Lot of conversation about us getting a QB in round one. I want to try and get that centered more in reality as far as what that likely means. 

Candidates

Josh Rosen- Top 5- I feel he will be the first off the board

Sam Darnold- Top 5- Worthy of a franchise QB pick. A bit concerned over turnovers last year. 

Josh Allen- Top 20- Incredible skill set, wanted to see it translate to Wyoming being ranked

Baker Mayfield- This years Deshaun Watson? Could be anywhere from first round to Top 10, even Top 5 (We will get into that)

Lamar Jackson- Late 1st/2nd- Incredible talent, but just don't see his skill converting

Mason Rudolph-Late 1st/2nd- Lot of people like him, so do I, but is he your pick to solve for a Franchise QB?

Competition

Cleveland: Picks 1 and 4

Giants: Pick 2

Colts: Pick 3

Broncos: Pick 5

Jets: Pick 6

Any QB with a reasonable expectation of being a Franchise QB will not get past the Jets. Broncos and Jets are desperate. It would seem implausible Cleveland passes at one then the Giants and Colts also pass. Things could look much different come draft time but from the looks of it now it would seem our target would have to be Cleveland's #4 with the hope that they go QB with the first overall.  Our two first round picks don't equal the value of the 4th pick on draft charts. With this many teams targeting QB's that pick is going to be at a premium. If it's Darnell or Rosen #4 might not even be enough to get it done. At which point do you like anybody else enough to jump to 4 because if you do they likely won't pass Denver or New York. We can talk drafting a Franchise QB and we likely have the resources to do it, but positioning to do so will not be easy.     

The situation will play itself out in FA. Cousins could stay in Washington, or sign with Denver or the Jets, maybe even the Cardinals...

And where do those two Minn QB's end up? (Bradford and Bridgewater) assuming that they sign and keep Keenum...

And then there is the Cinci backup QB McCarron whose status is unclear at the moment...

This will help clear the air as to who may be drafting a QB highly besides the Browns and Giants presumably,,,,

2 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

The situation will play itself out in FA. Cousins could stay in Washington, or sign with Denver or the Jets, maybe even the Cardinals...

And where do those two Minn QB's end up? (Bradford and Bridgewater) assuming that they sign and keep Keenum...

And then there is the Cinci backup QB McCarron whose status is unclear at the moment...

This will help clear the air as to who may be drafting a QB highly besides the Browns and Giants presumably,,,,

I completely agree that this whole climate could change based on FA. But the notion that we can land Rosen or Darnold even with the resources we have is still not locked in. Cleveland is likely interested with one of the top 4 picks, then the Colts/Giants take the other. If you got a 3rd guy you really like he probably gets taken by Denver or the Jets. 

9 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

I look at the Colts and Giants as one team in the context I proposed.  Will one of them go QB? I think so. 

I thought you were comparing amount of teams picking a QB compared to the amount of franchise QB's?  

8 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

I completely agree that this whole climate could change based on FA. But the notion that we can land Rosen or Darnold even with the resources we have is still not locked in. Cleveland is likely interested with one of the top 4 picks, then the Colts/Giants take the other. If you got a 3rd guy you really like he probably gets taken by Denver or the Jets. 

That's why, if u like a guy to be the 3rd best QB - don't be afraid to trade up to #3 to get him... Chances are somebody will if u don't...

The Giants and Colts may be looking for QB's (if their GMs are smart) but  I don't think they are taking one in the top 10 this year. If luck is 100%, they still have time to use their top picks for other needs and find a later round guy, the Giants could do the same if they feel Manning has another 2 years left. No reason to take one high now if they are not going to start, they have too many other needs right now.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Throw Washington in there as well. They’ll probably lose Cousins. But he might go to one of the teams listed above, removing them. 

If you throw in Washington, then one of the other teams signed Cousins. So its a wash.

1 hour ago, Chicharito said:

Picking Rudolph is picking fitz! Arm strength is very week on the deep ball. YouTube his highlights you can see yourself.

The ball got there thats what counts.

Edited by Tatonka68

if i'm not mistaken, foles is on a one year deal. i have been wanting to get him for the last few years and he could have been had...although we were in the midst of the whaley ej love affair. if we can have a shot at him ...given our history with philly, let's get him and rudolph. if a trade be needed , there's the shaq lawson deal.

next year...foles, peterman and rudolph. deflippo oc and use all our draft picks to build this team.

would frank reich be eligible for oc with an assistant hc job?

Edited by billsredneck1