Gotta go after a feature running back

JerseyBills

Just now, twoandfourteen said:

Nope, it's not. But I'd trade the whole draft if it gets the Bills the next Phil Rivers or Drew Brees. 

Think Philly or LA regrets making big moves for Wentz or Goff? 

Agreed if you know for sure that is who you are getting, but you don’t.  BTW, in his 12 year career, Rivers has made the playoffs 5 times and is 4-5 in the playoffs.  Sure, better than the Bills over that time, but he is good enough to be competitive with, but he isn’t a guarantee that you’ll make the playoffs every year.

29 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

With the extra day 2 picks, I wouldn’t even mind a third rounder if you are looking at a guy you think can be a workhorse back

if it’s 100 touches this year at minimum, and perhaps many more if shady tweaks anything. It’s a guy that could carry the load in a year for a transition... and mid round lineman are a far bigger crapshoot 

Yeah, I can't disagree. I guess I didn't say 3rd rounder because I have a hunch they will be trading up and would have less picks total. 

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I guess preferably in the draft but get Shady as good of RB that you can find. 

Hehas 2 elite years left, he doesn't take hits like the average RB. He's too shifty to get a good shot on, or he'll smartly go out of bounds versus attempting to get another yard , always after getting the 1st down of course.

Whatever route we go with QB on offense, we must draft or take a RB in FA , but drafting is way to go , salary cap wise, spend one of our first 3 picks on RB, will make us much more dynamic and Shady will be able to share some of the load,why also most likely helping his production on the field.

What we need to do is find that RB that can really share the load with Shady and give you huge games when Shady gets knicked up.......

You dont use high draft picks on that.....I would rather use high draft picks on hogs that block in front of them.

5 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Agreed if you know for sure that is who you are getting, but you don’t.  BTW, in his 12 year career, Rivers has made the playoffs 5 times and is 4-5 in the playoffs.  Sure, better than the Bills over that time, but he is good enough to be competitive with, but he isn’t a guarantee that you’ll make the playoffs every year.

Sign me up for that, 10 times out of 10. 

There are no guarantees in sports. But at the very least with a QB like Rivers, I know I have a shot going into every game.

Just now, twoandfourteen said:

Sign me up for that, 10 times out of 10. 

There are no guarantees in sports. But at the very least with a QB like Rivers, I know I have a shot going into every game.

So the question is, how much are you willing to trade to take a guy who maybe has a 50% chance to be Rivers?  

Most would agree that Andrew Luck is very good, but with nobody around him he still can’t win.

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I guess preferably in the draft but get Shady as good of RB that you can find. 

Hehas 2 elite years left, he doesn't take hits like the average RB. He's too shifty to get a good shot on, or he'll smartly go out of bounds versus attempting to get another yard , always after getting the 1st down of course.

Whatever route we go with QB on offense, we must draft or take a RB in FA , but drafting is way to go , salary cap wise, spend one of our first 3 picks on RB, will make us much more dynamic and Shady will be able to share some of the load,why also most likely helping his production on the field.

This is a misnomer...Shady takes a lot of bad hits and gets buried with big LBs and DT on him.  With his small frame, he is taking a hell of a beating!!!

13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Shady with Cadet behind him is good for another year or so

Need another back who can get TDs

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

This is a misnomer...Shady takes a lot of bad hits and gets buried with big LBs and DT on him.  With his small frame, he is taking a hell of a beating!!!

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

I hunk Cadet can

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Insane??

Insane huh?

I said first 100 picks.

Let's check out 2017 ,shall we?

7 RB taken in top 100 

1 Fournette

8 McCaffrey

41 Cook

48 Mixon

67 Kamara

86 Hunt

89 Foreman

The NFL leading rusher in Hunt, likely rookie of year in Kamara, Fournette established himself as a beast, McCaffrey was a huge part of the Car Offense. Almost all 7 had significant contributions to their teams. Mixon injured alot, even he looks like he'll be a very good RB.

23 RB taken out of the top 100

Only two come to mind that had a significant contribution, Cohen and Jamal Williams. 

So the numbers CLEARLY show your statement is false ,sir.

You're building both. We have a stud in Shady. Invest one draft pick in that position, that's all! Plenty of room to make other needed upgrades

Yea, I don’t know factually but feel like sometime late on day 2 there tends to be a cliff for backs. That’s why I keep nudging the discussion from the fourth to the third

I’m not rushing to take a guy in the first but I think there’s a sweet spot in round 2-3 where you can get a really impactful RB instead of a mediocre tackle.

Edited by NoSaint

Next year being Shadys last year with Buffalo anyways.

I would like to see Buffalo get someone more proven. A 1-2 punch.

I would like to see Isaiah Crowell signed. Shady and Crowell could be nice with Crowell taking over in 2019. Then he will still only be 26 years old.

Would just like to see him play under a legit balanced offense and on a team who can throw.

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

I agree but I'd be on board.

Imagine a Shady/Fournette ,Shady/Henry , Shady/Gordon combo. That'd be pretty lethal and could have one of the best run games period. Give defenses headaches.

Helps preserve Shady and adds a great back. This also helps our QB and pass game significantly.

Philly is advancing to the NFC title game off the play of Ajayi/Blount. 

This draft is extremely deep at RB. There are guys who can help compliment, who may also end up being the heir apparent, in the 3rd or 4th Rounds. 

5 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Next year being Shadys last year with Buffalo anyways.

I would like to see Buffalo get someone more proven. A 1-2 punch.

I would like to see Isaiah Crowell signed. Shady and Crowell could be nice with Crowell taking over in 2019. Then he will still only be 26 years old.

Would just like to see him play under a legit balanced offense and on a team who can throw.

Next year isn't his last year with his contract not up until after 2019. 

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Yea, I don’t know factually but feel like sometime late on day 2 there tends to be a cliff for backs. That’s why I keep nudging the discussion from the fourth to the third

I’m not rushing to take a guy in the first but I think there’s a sweet spot in round 2-3 where you can get a really impactful RB instead of a mediocre tackle.

Yes I totally agree. I said top 100 , we are rich with draft picks, get it done. It could have a big impact on the whole offense. Helps the run game, preserves Shady a bit, but also opens up the pass game. It's important

31 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

So the question is, how much are you willing to trade to take a guy who maybe has a 50% chance to be Rivers?  

Most would agree that Andrew Luck is very good, but with nobody around him he still can’t win.

Whatever it takes. It's not like the Bills have been killing it on draft picks over the years anyway. 

That's a function of the pieces around him. But you can have all the other pieces -- For example: McCoy, Watkins, Woods, Clay, Dareus... and without the QB, you're not going to win. It's a lot easier to get the other pieces than it is to get the QB. Plus, if you get lucky and land a truly transcendent talent at QB, you can turn guys like Julian Edelman and Chris Hogan into stars. 

4 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Qb for sure. But if we are grinding out games, rb is right up there too 

Rb's to grind out games can be found off of the street, as we have seen with guys like Gilisse, Karlos, and Cadet.  Not a priority.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I find it interesting that last week the consensus on the board was that our RB was the most valuable player on the team, and this week RBs aren't worth a squirt of piss.

These two things are not mutually exclusive. 

Both can be true -- and it pretty much sums up the Bills approach to offense over the past two decades.

And we all know how that turned out.