Gotta go after a feature running back

JerseyBills

4 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Yes, I'm good with a mid round investment.  Not a high pick

I think a lot of us are in agreement with strategy but not so much on what “high” or “priority” mean. I don’t think there’s a group advocating a first rounder. Just a premium over “any dude off the street”

• Like (+1) 1

The RB position needs to be addressed and upgraded, and I believe it will be. I don't know though how OBD will prioritize their needs or what their philosophy is in approaching the draft. Many observers have said that as a general matter and across all position groups this year's class is not especially strong. If that's true then it's maybe not the greatest year to be showing up with a boatload of picks, though no doubt there are enuf great players for us to have a successful draft. OTOH the RB group is unusually good and deep. One approach would be to take that into account in setting the board and in giving that position group a certain priority. 

There is a generational talent (Barkely)who will and fully deserves to go top 5. Guice is not too far behind and there are a number of other guys who project as franchise backs. While it's certainly true that you can find a good to serviceable RB in later rounds, in a trade, as a FA or even off the street, there is a big difference between that type of back and a true franchise back. A franchise back is an important cornerstone in a traditional NFL offence. John Elway was a HOF QB but the Broncos only won a championship when they found a great RB. If you are drafting and grooming a young QB his best friend is a strong running game. 

The Bills have an elite back, but for how much longer? Since they need an upgrade to spell him, why not draft his successor? If they get lucky maybe they find another Terrell Davis in the sixth round, but the percentages are much more favourable in rounds up to an including the third. If a guy like Penny is somehow still on the board in the 3rd I certainly wouldn't be upset if the Bills pulled the trigger. If the Bills don't prioritize the position and are interested in finding a "complementary" back to McCoy they might consider Bo Scarborough in the fifth. I think he may well still be there because of injury concerns and the talent that will go before him. But he's a Karlos Williams clone without the career threatening addiction to China food. 

19 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I guess preferably in the draft but get Shady as good of RB that you can find. 

Hehas 2 elite years left, he doesn't take hits like the average RB. He's too shifty to get a good shot on, or he'll smartly go out of bounds versus attempting to get another yard , always after getting the 1st down of course.

Whatever route we go with QB on offense, we must draft or take a RB in FA , but drafting is way to go , salary cap wise, spend one of our first 3 picks on RB, will make us much more dynamic and Shady will be able to share some of the load,why also most likely helping his production on the field.

Build a stellar O line and any RB with average talent will succeed.

19 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I disagree. You can have something special at the position with Shady and a great complement. Why not attempt to make part of your O that much more dangerous.

A great running game wins Super Bowls

Because we’ve had a street FA in Gilissee average 5.6 ypc while in Buffalo and Karlos Williams a 5th round rookie who did the same.

we can find a good compliment to Shady much easier than our other needs.

14 hours ago, SWATeam said:

Yes, I'm good with a mid round investment.  Not a high pick

...agree....need to see what more Cadet and Murphy have....wonder why the Banyard kid didn't fit the McD mold (signed & released 3 times)..not to break hearts or create enemies, but Pro-Bowler Tolbert may be a casualty.....would miss Bubble Screen Mike....pretty deep class overall........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

49 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...agree....need to see what more Cadet and Murphy have....wonder why the Banyard kid didn't fit the McD mold (signed & released 3 times)..not to break hearts or create enemies, but Pro-Bowler Tolbert may be a casualty.....would miss Bubble Screen Mike....pretty deep class overall........

See I'm not going to pretend to be a draft guy. My college football knowledge is very low , never got into it like the NFL. With that said, the post I made about the 7 RB taken in top 100 , 5/7 we're very big parts of team, 1 was banged up but has bright future (Mixon). The 23 taken out of top 100 , only 1/23 had that type of impact,(Cohen). The odds clearly show a higher pick equals much better production.

I understand that you can get great value at RB but if we have one or 2 on the board that they really value highly , I'd pull the trigger. High second - mid 3rd, I think it instantly makes our offense better and we still have plenty of draft capital and FA moves to make at other positions. 

Jax added Bouye, Campbell through FA and got a great RB in Fournette. They are 2 quarters away from the title game with Blake the Flake Bortles. I'd love Buf to go after a stud RB and get a big name or 2 on D in FA. 

Again,this helps the run and pass game, could get an extra elite year out of Shady by having him share the load, and you bring in a great back, preferably a big downhill type, it makes it so hard on a D when Shady comes in to adjust to his unique running style.

I feel it's a higher priority than we think

2 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

How about timely turnovers as the reason they made it?

Um that had a big impact but if you take Shady off that offense, them turnovers wouldn't mean much cause our offense only put up 10 points or something. He was the offense.

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Um that had a big impact but if you take Shady off that offense, them turnovers wouldn't mean much cause our offense only put up 10 points or something. He was the offense.

I agree but we should use our first three picks on a qb and some o lineman.  If you have a qb with a good line everything else just falls into place and shady or any orher back wouldnt be the offense only.  Runningbacks can be found anywhere just look at Hunt and Kamara who have had great years.  I just don't think it makes sense to waste a top 100 pick on a running back when we have much greater needs.

23 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

I agree but we should use our first three picks on a qb and some o lineman.  If you have a qb with a good line everything else just falls into place and shady or any orher back wouldnt be the offense only.  Runningbacks can be found anywhere just look at Hunt and Kamara who have had great years.  I just don't think it makes sense to waste a top 100 pick on a running back when we have much greater needs.

Both Hunt and Kamara were top 100 draft selections.

23 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I disagree. You can have something special at the position with Shady and a great complement. Why not attempt to make part of your O that much more dangerous.

A great running game wins Super Bowls

Cadet and Murphy and someone else compete for RB2.   Hopefully Cadet comes back in time for some offseason workouts.  You could get a decent RB flyer in round 5 maybe?

EDIT : There are some good RBs bagging groceries.  We just have to use our process and find the right one!

Edited by Manther

10 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Both Hunt and Kamara were top 100 draft selections.

My bad should of broken that up different.  I know them two were top 100 picks.  What I was trying to say is them two were not premiere picks and the bills have way too many holes to draft a running back in the top 100 this year.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:36 PM, Zebrastripes said:

My bad should of broken that up different.  I know them two were top 100 picks.  What I was trying to say is them two were not premiere picks and the bills have way too many holes to draft a running back in the top 100 this year.

No worries.  Actually KC traded their 3rd plus a 4th and 7th to move up 18 spots in round 3 to draft Kareem Hunt.

I am not advocating a first round pick on a RB, either, but a 2nd or 3rd rounder for someone who looks like they could be a very good back is not unreasonable in my book.