Per Buffalo Fanatics, Bills actively looking to trade Shaq Lawson

YoloinOhio

17 minutes ago, Heitz said:

From the same source:

ScoutFantasy

Tune in tomorrow morning (7-9am eastern) on @SiriusXMFantasy and listen to @DrRoto and @AdamRonis for more details on the upcoming @BuffaloBills breaking player news.

Guess I’ll have to tune into Sirius tomorrow AM! ?

If the “major player news” is breaking next week, then how are there details tomorrow?

El Paso...I spent a month there one night.

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

This early in his career it wouldn't be a bust. It'd be another casualty of the scheme switch.

Shaq was a 4-3 DE. He actually fits better in the current scheme than he did in a 3-4. It's more about the player underperforming and being outplayed by UDFA's.

Not sure if mentioned but Shaq isn't listed on the team's official depth chart on BuffaloBills.com so he is as good as gone. 

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Shaq was a 4-3 DE. He actually fits better in the current scheme than he did in a 3-4. It's more about the player underperforming and being outplayed by UDFA's.

Not sure if mentioned but Shaq isn't listed on the team's official depth chart on BuffaloBills.com so he is as good as gone. 

He isnt on the website because he is hurt buddy

Glenn isn't on it either or Matthews 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/14/2018 at 12:01 AM, Mango said:

I don’t really like this line of thinking. “Bills cut/traded him, he sucks. Do better” 

Most of the guys we cut/traded in the last year are starters on playoff teams. It’s not like they leave and are rotational/cut again.

Yes This, the Man speaks truth.

I get it - there was a time not too long ago when, as Steve Tasker quipped, "the Bills kept some players they'd probably rather have cut", and when we did cut someone, they sank out of sight.  Very few of our players were able to be traded.

That's been changed for a good few though.  The issue with not having many of our draftees stick, is primarily an issue of coaching and scheme change, not lack of NFL abilities.

I hope we draft as well, though of course I'll take "better".  But the main issue is to stop the continual scheme change that renders draftees less valuable.

1 hour ago, PIZ said:

Trades can't happen now can they?

No.  Though I think teams can talk and agree on a handshake.  I could be wrong.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

6 hours ago, kdiggz said:

Nobody is on the depth chart, not a single name. It says, "To be announced later."

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/depth-chart.html

Shaq is on the roster. But he's on the part at the bottom headlined "Reserve/Injured."

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster.html

And not all 4-3s are created equal. He fitted Rex's D (not a 3-4, the 46 is a bit wackier than the 3-4) very well, which is why Rex jumped up and down on the table for him. As for being outplayed, the evidence belies that. He was placed on IR in early December after an ankle injury against the Pats. At that time, his snaps per game were well above anyone else they had at that position, well above.

He might be gone soon, but if so it'll be because he didn't fit well so waiting for him to develop didn't make sense.

Edited by Thurman#1

8 hours ago, PIZ said:

Trades can't happen now can they?

They can be agreed upon but nothing becomes official til the new league year. So there would be no way they announce a trade over a month before it can happen, would leave to much time for things to change.

I think the mccoy- alonso trade was a couple days before the new league year, dont remember exactly 

33 minutes ago, Pbomb said:

They can be agreed upon but nothing becomes official til the new league year. So there would be no way they announce a trade over a month before it can happen, would leave to much time for things to change.

I think the mccoy- alonso trade was a couple days before the new league year, dont remember exactly 

It was in late February I believe. It was leaked to rapaport by kiko’s Agent. Chip was pissed at the Bills because he blamed them for letting it get out and didn’t have time to call Shady, and he found out on twitter.  the paperwork couldn’t officially go through until later but it was leaked anyway. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It was in late February I believe. It was leaked to rapaport by kiko’s Agent. Chip was pissed at the Bills because he blamed them for letting it get out and didn’t have time to call Shady, and he found out on twitter.  the paperwork couldn’t officially go through until later but it was leaked anyway. 

March 3.

Eagles, Bills to swap LeSean McCoy for Kiko Alonso

Chris Wesseling
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: March 3, 2015 at 06:45 p.m.
  • Updated: March 4, 2015 at 05:10 p.m.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:10 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I would think after selling low on Rag's and seeing go on to be a solid contributing player for KC despite not having the benefit of having time in the system and having to learn his 3rd defensive scheme in 3 years, that it would give them more patience with Shaq.

Personally, I get he hasn't cemented his spot here, but I also think he has shown promise and is already on the team, so why sell low now due to injuries and create yet another hole to fill.  Lets keep in mind, lots of people here want us to trade a bounty of picks for a QB, but we created some sizable holes through trades that we haven't filled to go along with holes that already existed.  If we keep trading players for crap shoot draft picks, its going to be tough to improve because we are just drafting to replace rather fill the rest of the roster out.  

We already know we have a big need at DT, and if Kyle retires or isn't brought back, we have immediate 2 spots to fill.  Add in big needs at LB, OL, and the looming QB situation and we just cant fill all these effectively in the draft and FA.  Not to mention potential holes at DB with Gaines FA looming, needing another RB and WR.  

I vote no to this and play the upside here and avoid creating yet another hole.  

I'm just responding to your Ragland comment and not to your Lawson position because I agree with it. The Ragland trade is easy to understand because there was no way for Ragland to be suitable for the McDermott defense. This same process also occurred in the defensive backfield where players were brought in who were more suitable for a zone scheme as opposed to Rex's more man scheme. The Ragland trade is an understandable deal for the Bills and a good deal for KC. McDermott's defense required LBs to cover. Ragland is a thumper who plays the run but can't cover in passing situations. The Ragland scenario happens when there is a churning of coaches and systems. Players that are suitable for one system are not suitable for another.

The past is the ugly past. Hopefully,  McDermontt and the front office are more in sync so this once turbulent organization becomes more stable and makes more coherent personnel decisions. The cycle of one step forward and two steps back has crushed this franchise. I'm expecting that foolishness to stop now.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PIZ said:

March 3.

Eagles, Bills to swap LeSean McCoy for Kiko Alonso

Chris Wesseling
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: March 3, 2015 at 06:45 p.m.
  • Updated: March 4, 2015 at 05:10 p.m.

Oh my bad. Thought it was late feb

I don't buying this story at all.  Shaq has unique skills at what he does bets and that is setting the strong-side edge on the run, and contain on the weak side, he does this very well and I think grading him compared to other run stopping DE's in the NFL, I'd rank him pretty high, maybe even top ten.  What he does not do well, and was drafted and advertised was as a pass rushing DE, this he is not.  His "get-off" is too slow, he tends to lean in, rather than using his hands on passing downs, so in that regard, he was mischaracterized by Whaley and Rex.  Maybe they knew, or maybe they just over drafted a guy hoping he would transition better in the NFL with a little coaching, (Not sure GM's ever think that someone's college tape will translate to something different at the NFL level, but I digress), but the overall point of Shaq's game is that he is a solid NFL starter at setting the edge on 1st, 2nd down.  Does that increase his trade value?  Probably not, as those guys can be found on day two and three of the draft.

I think McD is well aware of what Shaq brings to the table, and he is valued for these reasons.  I don't see them shopping him at all, but I also suspect that they will entertain offers if they are made.  You need guys like him on your defense in today's NFL, plain and simple.  Kicking him inside is not his game, and I suspect no one at OBD is even entertaining that idea.  He's solid, cheap, and fills a much needed role on any defense, I doubt very much he's going anywhere, this off-season, but I could be wrong, who knows, right?

Tim-

5 minutes ago, D521646 said:

I don't buying this story at all.  Shaq has unique skills at what he does bets and that is setting the strong-side edge on the run, and contain on the weak side, he does this very well and I think grading him compared to other run stopping DE's in the NFL, I'd rank him pretty high, maybe even top ten.  What he does not do well, and was drafted and advertised was as a pass rushing DE, this he is not.  His "get-off" is too slow, he tends to lean in, rather than using his hands on passing downs, so in that regard, he was mischaracterized by Whaley and Rex.  Maybe they knew, or maybe they just over drafted a guy hoping he would transition better in the NFL with a little coaching, (Not sure GM's ever think that someone's college tape will translate to something different at the NFL level, but I digress), but the overall point of Shaq's game is that he is a solid NFL starter at setting the edge on 1st, 2nd down.  Does that increase his trade value?  Probably not, as those guys can be found on day two and three of the draft.

I think McD is well aware of what Shaq brings to the table, and he is valued for these reasons.  I don't see them shopping him at all, but I also suspect that they will entertain offers if they are made.  You need guys like him on your defense in today's NFL, plain and simple.  Kicking him inside is not his game, and I suspect no one at OBD is even entertaining that idea.  He's solid, cheap, and fills a much needed role on any defense, I doubt very much he's going anywhere, this off-season, but I could be wrong, who knows, right?

Tim-

Excellent post and analysis. What you are basically saying is that he is your typical jag (just another guy). That's a fair assessment. However, when you consider that he was a first round pick and what he appears to be is your standard interchangeable player. At best he is a solid player, and at worse he is an inconsequential player who can be replaced by another inconsequential player without a trace of difference.