R. I. P. Keith Jackson

1 hour ago, MattM said:

Yup—they were all great.

Was it my imagination, or did the Bills also get a lot of Curt Gowdy, too, when we were growing up?

I had to check Gowdy's bio - he was lead AFL and AFC announcer for over a decade starting in 1965..

The tone of his voice was somehow perfectly suited to college football on a Saturday afternoon/evening.

Of note:  Everyone credits him with this "Wo Nelly!" catchphrase...

I remember watching an interview with him and he said he was not sure how that all got attached to his name, but it wasn't his.

I have wondered how that got started myself and if anyone can produce video of him actually saying "Wo Nelly" as I don't think this exists.

Funny he may be remembered for something he never said.

Edited by Fadingpain

In this interview he claims "WHOA NELLIE" was his and states the history of where it came from, which flat out contradicts comments I saw him make when he was younger...maybe he started saying it toward the end after everyone attributed it to him anyway?

PS:  Seems like 20 or 30 years ago, there were a ton of great announcers who 1 in a million voices made for announcing and a style all their own.

Where have they gone now!?  Announcers these days are horrible in comparison, and few of them have a great voice or a great unique style.  In fact, most of them are flat out terrible...

He says "I promised it.....WHOOOOO NELLIE!" at the 7:55 mark in this video.

Pretty much all the legends from my childhood watching the NFL and NCAA are gone. Dick Enberg, Merlin Olsen, Charlie Jones, Keith Jackson,  all the MNF guys (Cosell, Meredith, Gifford), Pat Summerall all dead.

Madden, Criqui and Trumpy maybe the only ones left along with Al Michaels who came a little later.

Getting old sucks, lots of fond memories with those guys.