Seahawks may embrace a college style offense

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

I've been saying this for a long time, a college system is the best way to utilize a mobile QB that looks to run more than pass.  Look at Watson, used a college system this year and he was extremely successful.  It will be interesting to see if the league moves more that direction.  

...probably will have to as that is the product coming out of collegiate ranks.....more versatile to watch and fills college stadiums......boosters love that...........

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...probably will have to as that is the product coming out of collegiate ranks.....more versatile to watch and fills college stadiums......boosters love that...........

The league keeps moving to faster and faster players at every position.  Even the fat guys need to be reasonably fast now or they just don't fit.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Rumours are Arizona is going to go after Keenum. Because of the Pat Shurmer connection .

But ya I hear your point and that would definitely be TTS best chance for success 

Numerous articles 

but in today’s news cycle everyone borrows a story to post citing the original. 

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I used to be completely against Air Raid QB’s because the style didn’t adapt the NFL at all and only successful in college. But looks like the NFL is adapting to the college game on offense and spread and Air Raid guys might start having an easier transition.

And that fad will be as successful as the wild cat.  Dead in 2 or 3 seasons. 

I used to really get involved in these serious conversations about this when Tebow played. I believe a full blown college offense (spread or even option) CAN work in the NFL for a period of time. But the situation has to be perfect. 

At that time I was more talking about it working with Tebow specifically. And I meant it for a team with trouble selling tickets and generating interest. If you build up your defense so that you aren’t constantly playing catch up and you get 2 excellent RBs and at least 1 good FB, find the best blocking WRs and TEs you can find. Get a road grader offensive line, you could probably beat teams. I know nfl defenses are faster then college defenses, but stoping that style of power option is not about speed. You also would have the ability to drop in 5-8 passes a game to keep teams honest. I would love to see a team without a lot going for them at the Qb position, go all in and try it once. If you had no franchise qb and needed to generate some points in another way, it would be a good idea. Gutsy, but good.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Explains the housecleaning. This looks like it might be a trend ... Chicago just hired Mark Helfrich. Perhaps Carroll hires Matt Canada?

Just saying, but someone here called for that 4 years ago....

giphy.gif

My dream OC was Kliff Kingsbury but he survived.

46 minutes ago, Doc said:

So "the next level" is...college level?

That’s where all of the innovation is being done. Teams didn’t spread the field until a decade ago (or less). That’s all the college influence. RPO’s, moving pockets, tempo, etc... are all the college influence. 

35 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

No I don’t think that’s right.  Plus, Kelly’s offense did work in Philly...

Kelly, the offensive coach, was really good in the NFL. Kelly, the leader and GM, was a disaster.

25 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Numerous articles 

but in today’s news cycle everyone borrows a story to post citing the original. 

And that fad will be as successful as the wild cat.  Dead in 2 or 3 seasons. 

It’s been working in the NFL for a while. That’s what Mariota, Goff, Alex Smith, Watson and some others basically played. The Patriots use a TON of college concepts. Spread the field, play with pace, QB uses their legs and get the ball in playmakers hands in space. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

35 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

There are already spread concepts being utilized a lot. I see that only increasing. Nagy/Reid used a mix of WCO and spread in KC with some success. Nagy will utilize Helfrich to incorporate more spread, as Trubisky cane from a pro-style spread O at UNC. 

Chicago has so much potential with trubisky. Find them the right WR's and they're gonna do very well. That conference can't cover speed. They can win it easily if they find a way to run the spread. 

2 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Chicago has so much potential with trubisky. Find them the right WR's and they're gonna do very well. That conference can't cover speed. They can win it easily if they find a way to run the spread. 

Just curious why you say that?  The two best corners in the league last year (Slay and Rhodes) are in that division.

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Arizona should bring in Tyrod and do the same thing.  With that defense and David Johnson, they’d be really exciting to watch.

And good for Carroll thinking outside the box - kinda the opposite of McD hiring Dennison to fit a traditional timing offense to Tyrod...

It occurred to me earlier today... maybe it wasn't a case of McD and RD refusing to fit a traditional offense to Tyrod, but of all three agreeing to try and expand Tyrod's skills as a QB. The Bills get to install their desired offense and Tyrod gets a shot at "on the job" training. 

Look at it this way, running a very specific "read option" offense limits Taylor's options. So if this worked even a little bit, it would have made Tyrod a more accomplished player and more attractive FA. Or even a permanent answer here in Buffalo. 

At least now, he has exposure to a different system and can continue to work on it. Somewhere else. 

13 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Just curious why you say that?  The two best corners in the league last year (Slay and Rhodes) are in that division.

Spread offenses, if they're run like college spread the ball around and open the field tremendously. They can take the very best corners out of the game entirely and capitalize on the weakest links by default if run correctly

I love to hate the spread offense similar to the Carolina Panthers so I pay too much attention to it.

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

I've been saying this for a long time, a college system is the best way to utilize a mobile QB that looks to run more than pass.  Look at Watson, used a college system this year and he was extremely successful.  It will be interesting to see if the league moves more that direction.  

The issue isn’t getting more production from the QB, the issue is 1. Beating an NFL defense. 2. Keeping your QB healthy. 

An NFL defense is much bigger, faster, and stronger than anything in the NFL. 

Personally, I would not go to the spread until it has some sustained success in the NFL.  People have been saying the spread is coming to the NFL for years, but history has shown if you want to win the Super Bowl it is not the way to go. What kind of offense are the winners in this list running?  How about the losers?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_champions

Honestly Kansas City was pretty much running the Matt Canada offense this year. All of the RPOs built into the shovel pass and inverted veers is what Canada was doing with Pitt and it's how they beat Clemson. 

So I guess the ballsy part is actually hiring the guy rather than just stealing his scheme. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

No I don’t think that’s right.  Plus, Kelly’s offense did work in Philly...

It did in terms of putting up points.... it didn't in the respect that it made a talented defense look awful by putting them on the field too often. 

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Arizona should bring in Tyrod and do the same thing.  With that defense and David Johnson, they’d be really exciting to watch.

And good for Carroll thinking outside the box - kinda the opposite of McD hiring Dennison to fit a traditional timing offense to Tyrod...

Until Tyrod has to throw the ball

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

Disagree that it was a talented defense.

Hmmm. Really? It has looked pretty good the two years since. It was talented. Not a top 5 defense but talented. Chip made them look like clowns. 

His scheme put up points... but I am less convinced I would say that it "worked".