If the OC is Bevell I see 2 Things.....

JMF2006

6 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

If they give DB the job as OC I think they keep TT as the Vet mentor and draft Mayfield or Lamar Jackson.

Ok I lied 3 things....but the draft pick will be one of those 2 and with his history...experience with a mobile QB I think TT stays.

18 million dollar mentor lol.  This whole mentor thing is a waste of time to talk about.  Garbage

Taylor is gone

2 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

18 million dollar mentor lol.  This whole mentor thing is a waste of time to talk about.  Garbage

Taylor is gone

Vet Mentor  or stop gap what ever you want to call it.

If they want to cut him they don`t need to wait until March.

Like I said just making an observation.

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It makes me nervous how convinced the fans are that OBD intends to use an early pick on a QB this year.  What is the basis for that assumption?  

Arguably the deepest QB pool since 2004.  An intelligent GM and coach knows their entire job hinges on finding a franchise quarterback even if that means sacrificing upgrades at other positions.  I don't know if they move up, but if they do for a QB they really like then I won't have a problem with the move.

9 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

If they give DB the job as OC I think they keep TT as the Vet mentor and draft Mayfield or Lamar Jackson.

Ok I lied 3 things....but the draft pick will be one of those 2 and with his history...experience with a mobile QB I think TT stays.

If any of this is true, then to hell with DB. Plus, he's awful.

8 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I hesitate to say this, but by the numbers for Smith over the past seven seasons are really good 

He led the league in passer rating this year and the Chiefs ended up 6th in yards and 5th in points. 

Honestly, I'd take him, and I'd be happy to get him.

I'm with you. If we land Smith in a trade we are going back to the playoffs again in 2018. 

10 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

I agree with Bevell I think drafting QB Lamar Jackson makes more sense, Jackson improved quite a bit staying in the pocket this season. He ran alot but those were designed QB runs for him but when he was asked to pass he stayed in the pocket and surveyed the field in the games that I watched, his accuracy also improved.

I disagree that Tyrod Taylor will be the QB, I just don't see a scenario where he's still on the roster, he has failed to get the job done now with 2 different regimes, just my opinions but good post.

6 hours ago, PolishDave said:

I don't see that at all from Bevell.   But that is just my opinion.  I could be totally wrong.

I have a feeling that the NFL has seen the best play we are ever going to see out of Tyrod and it was in 2015 and 2016.    I think he is capable of much better play, but only if the coaches specifically design the offense around him.   I thought Dennison was the NFL's best chance to do that - and he didn't do it.   So, I say the Bills are better off moving on and going with a more traditional style of quarterback.  And I think that is exactly what they will do.    My guess is they get a QB whose strength is his arm talent and his brain - while also having a very strong work ethic.   Tyrod is only really strong in one of those traits (the work ethic).    IMHO they should and will move on.

So they design a offense around him, doesn't  he still have to pass the football down field at some point. Dennison might have been a bad fit but guys were open and Taylor failed to get the ball to them. If Taylor is still with this team in 2018 I have a few predictions.

1. He will break Cutlers record of 5 OC's.

2.  If McD goes with Taylor as QB in 2018 now he is attached to him.

3.  In comes OC #5 and McD has no choice but back Taylor.

4. In 2020 everyone is fired and the Bills look for a new HC.

5. We don't see the playoffs for 10 years

6. Taylor is released in 2020 and is a back up on the team he is on.

7. Terry Pegula cheats on Kim and Kim gets awarded the Bills.

8. I meet Kim on a Disney cruise and sparks fly, I become new part owner of the Bills.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

I don't care what they do, who they hire, I want nothing to do with Taylor returning to this team!

The single strength he may have is the ability to run, which he rarely does anymore.

And some of you think he would be a good mentor for a young quarterback? You can't be serious? You want him teaching all of his bad habits (hold ball too long, don't go through progressions, don't throw down middle, check down 99% of the time, refuse to throw a guy open) to a new guy?

He has no  business coming back to this team. His stats speak for themselves, and I know, I know, he doesn't turn it over. BFD. He doesn't do anything else with it, either. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I agree with Bevell I think drafting QB Lamar Jackson makes more sense, Jackson improved quite a bit staying in the pocket this season. He ran alot but those were designed QB runs for him but when he was asked to pass he stayed in the pocket and surveyed the field in the games that I watched, his accuracy also improved.

I disagree that Tyrod Taylor will be the QB, I just don't see a scenario where he's still on the roster, he has failed to get the job done now with 2 different regimes, just my opinions but good post.

I don't think fans are going to be very happy at all if the Bills draft Lamar Jackson, especially if they draft him in round 1.     I haven't watched the guy a lot.   I have watched more of his highlight clips than I have seen of his other play.    In those highlight clips a couple of things are glaringly evident:

1) He makes more big plays with his legs than with his arm

2) A large percentage of the big plays he makes with his arm are not throws where you would say "Wow, what a throw!"   A lot of the big plays are him throwing the ball "kind of up for grabs" and the receiver makes a better play than the defender does.     It doesn't look like he is dropping lots of them "in the bread basket" so to speak.

Based on those two things, I think the guy is not NFL starter caliber.    Unless of course an NFL team wants to run the QB on designed runs an awful lot.    I don't think even Bevell really wants to do that.

If Jackson were a slightly better passer who made the vast majority of his big plays with his arm, I would be more optimistic about him.   I hope the Bills pass on him regardless of who the OC ends up being.

11 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Booooooooo

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I hesitate to say this, but by the numbers for Smith over the past seven seasons are really good -- elite, in fact. Since 2011, his teams have gone 69-31-1 with him at the helm. He is not the reason they lost to TN either. He played well in that game and was REALLY let down by the backup TE and the kicker, who pretty much cost them the game on offense.

He led the league in passer rating this year and the Chiefs ended up 6th in yards and 5th in points. 

Honestly, I'd take him, and I'd be happy to get him.

The two big issues with Smith were not being able to throw the deep ball............and just being the opposite of clutch.

He proved he can throw the deep ball this year...........but he also proved that his lack of ability to perform in the clutch is a real thing.

I can't agree that he wasn't at fault for losing that game to TN.........he wasn't the only reason but at that point where you are feeling pressure as a fan he seems to mirror that........he can put up 200 yards in the first half and then come out and just miss an easy throw or become blind to receivers running open...........he clearly has some kind of mental block under pressure that does not exist the rest of the time.    

People who think the size of the moment affects all QB's the way it does Smith are just wrong.  Maybe he and Andy Reid just self-fulfill their own worst fears in the playoffs........I don't know but it's a real thing.

But the Bills aren't going to be able to be too choosy wrt a veteran QB..........and you are right that other than that flaw he is most of everything you want in a QB.........and the only reason he would even be available is because of that history of choking in the playoffs............and perhaps he can re-start that clutch narrative with a change of scenery?   

We really need a QB. Having a QB that can stretch the field, plus have Shady in the backfield could be huge. Still think they wait a bit before they select an OC. Wouldn’t be surprised if they go a surprising route. There is a trend forming that NFL teams could go after college OC’s. Wouldn’t be surprised a bit that they head that direction. 

Edited by KollegeStudnet

8 hours ago, Agent 91 said:

So you haven't watched a bills game this year? What anticipation? What accuracy. I dont want Tyrod anywhere near the new guy.  He doesn't read defenses well, he doesn't have touch, what exactly os ot that people want him to teach the new guy. A mentor role is an insane concept for a 29 year old QB. A QB mentor is USUALLY  someone who had a long career and is on their way out. There is ZERO reason to leep Tyrod. he is familiar with notjing. Not the OC nor scheme. You only keep Tyrod if you want a QB competition because you genuinely dontlnow what he can do yet

I was referring to Alex Smith.

13 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Then I change my vote in the poll from Bevell to Chud!!!

The foul stench of TT’s lack of quarterbacking acumen must be gone?

The synapses are very slow to fire with Tyrod, no doubt.

You can hear the rusty gears squeaking in his head from home, coming right through the TV speakers, as he surveys the field wondering: "What in the world should I do now?"

By the time he thinks he has an answer, he is either getting sacked, throwing a 3 yard pass to Shady, or taking off running.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Some of that is on Wilson, who became addicted to freelancing.  Much of that is on the offensive line, which struggled so badly in pass protection that it dramatically limited the types of plays they could run, and forced Wilson to abandon the playcall time and time again.

and O line is our main issue.

per Me.

17 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

How is a non pocket passer going to mentor a rookie in pocket presence?

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PolishDave said:

I don't think fans are going to be very happy at all if the Bills draft Lamar Jackson, especially if they draft him in round 1.     I haven't watched the guy a lot.   I have watched more of his highlight clips than I have seen of his other play.    In those highlight clips a couple of things are glaringly evident:

1) He makes more big plays with his legs than with his arm

He made just as many big plays with his arm as he did with his legs, the OC at Louisville has designed run plays for Jackson, this season he has stood in the pocket nicely on throwing plays and scanned the field through his progressions better than he has in the past.

2) A large percentage of the big plays he makes with his arm are not throws where you would say "Wow, what a throw!"   A lot of the big plays are him throwing the ball "kind of up for grabs" and the receiver makes a better play than the defender does.     It doesn't look like he is dropping lots of them "in the bread basket" so to speak.

I have no clue how you came to this assessment if you haven't "watched much of him" there are a dozen highlight videos and full games of his you can stream where Jackson will hit players in stride with ease, he has a big time arm. He has struggled with accuracy at times but this season he has really seemed to change his game. I'll be the first to tell you I'm not a fan of running QB's for many reasons but Lamar Jackson much like Watson last season (Who I repeatedly stated on this board I wanted Buffalo to take) makes big plays with both his arm and his feet, to me he's a faster Deshaun Watson with a stronger arm, not quite as accurate yet but has a very high ceiling.

Based on those two things, I think the guy is not NFL starter caliber.    Unless of course an NFL team wants to run the QB on designed runs an awful lot.    I don't think even Bevell really wants to do that.

If Jackson were a slightly better passer who made the vast majority of his big plays with his arm, I would be more optimistic about him.   I hope the Bills pass on him regardless of who the OC ends up being.

I bolded my opinions of Lamar Jackson, I've watched him frequently the past 2 years.