Ryan Talbot: 50 Potential Free Agent Fits for the Bills

On 1/12/2018 at 6:29 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Sign Bridgewater (and then draft a QB still in first 2 rounds).  Not only is he a guy who can potentially start while we groom a rookie, he still has potential to be a franchise QB as he showed flashes before the injury.  

Been saying this for a while now.  I have no idea what his injury status is or the likelihood of re-injury, but if he has even the remote opportunity to continue his career, I'd want to take the chance and sign him.

Why limit yourself to one chance in finding your franchise QB?  If Bridgewater can somehow make a complete comeback from injury, and you take a guy in Round 1 (whether you trade up or not), you have 2 young, talented guys on your team and we can just hope that at least 1 in the answer!  Give yourself an additional opportunity to find the long-term answer.  If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, but it's a chance I'd like to take.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, sven233 said:

Been saying this for a while now.  I have no idea what his injury status is or the likelihood of re-injury, but if he has even the remote opportunity to continue his career, I'd want to take the chance and sign him.

Why limit yourself to one chance in finding your franchise QB?  If Bridgewater can somehow make a complete comeback from injury, and you take a guy in Round 1 (whether you trade up or not), you have 2 young, talented guys on your team and we can just hope that at least 1 in the answer!  Give yourself an additional opportunity to find the long-term answer.  If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, but it's a chance I'd like to take.

Exactly my feelings too.  He is the perfect example of buy low.  Bring him in, and double down with a rookie and let them battle it out.  If he can get any of his pre injury form back and put those past him, there is definite upside towards a potential quality starting QB.  Then you still have an asset in the rookie who can either still out play Teddy and take the job over, or be a valuable trade chip if Teddy takes the job and never lets go.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Exactly my feelings too.  He is the perfect example of buy low.  Bring him in, and double down with a rookie and let them battle it out.  If he can get any of his pre injury form back and put those past him, there is definite upside towards a potential quality starting QB.  Then you still have an asset in the rookie who can either still out play Teddy and take the job over, or be a valuable trade chip if Teddy takes the job and never lets go.  

Sounds like a plausible plan to move forward in 2018. 

The Bills need a quick infusion of talent at the linebacker position, as it was often the middle of the field that was exploited in both the passing game and the running game this season. If Milano is penciled in as a starter, that leaves at least two positions to be filled, preferably by ‘backers who can both play zone coverage and play solidly against the run.

The best available free agents, arguably, are former Buffalo Bills. Nigel Bradham may not have fit in Rex Ryan’s hybrid 3-4 defense, but he was phenomenal in Jim Schwartz’s attacking 4-3. He is a free agent, and while it’s unlikely that he leaves the Philadelphia Eagles (where Schwartz is once again his defensive coordinator for now), he would certainly fill a gaping hole in his old digs. The same could be said of Zach Brown, who manned the middle linebacker spot for Buffalo in 2016. Other free agent options include Demario Davis, Jon Bostic, Anthony Hitchens, and Avery Williamson.

On 1/15/2018 at 9:42 PM, sven233 said:

I like the overall strategy.  We'll see what the Vikings do in the offseason.  They're kind of in the catbird seat for QB, at least they have options.

The Buffalo Bills had a big problem rushing the passer during the 2017 NFL season. They only managed 27 sacks, “good” for 29th in the league. With Jerry Hughes set to count $10.4 million against the salary cap next season, one would expect more production than his 4 sacks this season.

If they do decide that Hughes isn’t worth the price tag, the Bills will have plenty of options to consider in the free agent market.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/22122388/nfl-ranking-top-50-potential-free-agents-2018

Just some of the players who might be of interest to the Bills.

7. Andrew Norwell, G

Team: Carolina Panthers | Age entering 2018 season: 26

29. Paul Richardson, WR

Team: Seattle Seahawks | Age entering 2018 season: 26

33. Nigel Bradham, LB

Team: Philadelphia Eagles | Age entering 2018 season: 29

46. E.J. Gaines, CB

Team: Buffalo Bills | Age entering 2018 season: 26

BUF-Bills-Header.png

Quarterback

The Bills look to have very little interest in keeping Tyrod Taylor as their starting quarterback, and Nathan Peterman’s time on the field this season was disastrous. They need a 2018 starter, and there could be players in both free agency or the draft for that.

Defensive Interior

Trading away Marcell Dareus during the season torpedoed this run defense, and they need to replace that interior presence. Cedric Thornton was the player tasked with playing nose tackle after Dareus was traded, and he struggled badly out of position, earning an overall PFF grade of just 43.3Dontari Poe is on a one-year deal in Atlanta, and while he hasn’t had a stellar season, he would hold up that interior spot and allow the Bills to find some interior pass-rush alongside him.