Ryan Talbot: 50 Potential Free Agent Fits for the Bills

27 minutes ago, H2o said:

They fail to mention that 6 of Clayborn's sacks came against the Cowboys when he was facing a backup LT. He's not really worth throwing much money at. I'd rather take a shot on Aaron Lynch. 

Yeah Shaq and Clayborn would be kinda' redundant skillsets.   Need a true pass rusher at one of those ends and Clayborn ain't that dude.    And Clayborn will be 30 this summer and is probably looking for a 3 year deal.    Don't see it.

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah Shaq and Clayborn would be kinda' redundant skillsets.   Need a true pass rusher at one of those ends and Clayborn ain't that dude.    And Clayborn will be 30 this summer and is probably looking for a 3 year deal.    Don't see it.

Makes sense.

2 hours ago, Julio Hopkins said:

Kirk Cousins hasn't broken 9 wins with equally talented teams.  The Redskins have also hovered around the Bills points per game the last three years.  2015 the Bills finished 12th in points per game, while the Redskins finished 10th.  2016 the Bills 10th, and the Redskins 12th.  2017 was the biggest gap, the Redskins finished 16th while the Bills finished 22th.  

Cousins might put up pretty numbers, but the Redskins have struggled to win games with him.  

The redskins also struggle to catch the ball and aren't a very good coached team.  I get your point of view, but I also don't think the Redskins are all that great of a team overall nor are coached well.  So, I am in the camp that its not really fair to hang the record only on his shoulders.  I mean Brees, Rivers, Stafford, Ryan, Luck, etc also don't have great records other over the last 5 years overall.  It wasn't all their faults either.  Brees is clearly a superior QB to Cousins and the rest of the list, and this is the first time he has been in playoffs in 6 years.  Cousins is not that far off and comparable to all those other guys though, and they all have few playoff appearances among them and win less than they should.  

Everyone is always fixated on pinning the W/L record mostly on the QB, but its not even close to accurate.  

Thank you to everyone who has checked out the article. Just to address a few comments:

1. There are definitely some players who won't reach free agency in this article (Brees, Garoppolo, Demarcus Lawrence come to mind), but this is based on players who are set to become free agents and the focus of the article was players at positions of need (not a top 50 free agent list).

2. Certainly wasn't trying to go out on a limb by naming 50 players. Intention was to simply show what could be available when free agency starts. 

3. MLB options are thin. Cornerback, however, is pretty deep. If Buffalo is worried about E.J. Gaines' durability or asking price, there are plenty of options out there.

4. If Kyle Williams retires, I think the team will be very aggressive with a guy like Star Lotulelei. 

Appreciate the article being shared and discussed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 hours ago, H2o said:

They fail to mention that 6 of Clayborn's sacks came against the Cowboys when he was facing a backup LT. He's not really worth throwing much money at. I'd rather take a shot on Aaron Lynch. 

As long as he comes in "in shape" and healthy I'd rather kick the tires on Lynch as well.  After thinking about it more here's my FA wishlist.

DT - Star Lotulelei

DE - Aaron Lynch

CB - Kyle Fuller - prefer his measurables over Gaines

OL - Justin Pugh

I know we ain't signing 4 Free Agents but I figure Lynch should be cheap.

If we use a lot of draft picks to move up for a QB we absolutely have to have a free agency like that. Very solid list btw

5 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

As long as he comes in "in shape" and healthy I'd rather kick the tires on Lynch as well.  After thinking about it more here's my FA wishlist.

DT - Star Lotulelei

DE - Aaron Lynch

CB - Kyle Fuller - prefer his measurables over Gaines

OL - Justin Pugh

I know we ain't signing 4 Free Agents but I figure Lynch should be cheap.

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The redskins also struggle to catch the ball and aren't a very good coached team.  I get your point of view, but I also don't think the Redskins are all that great of a team overall nor are coached well.  So, I am in the camp that its not really fair to hang the record only on his shoulders.  I mean Brees, Rivers, Stafford, Ryan, Luck, etc also don't have great records other over the last 5 years overall.  It wasn't all their faults either.  Brees is clearly a superior QB to Cousins and the rest of the list, and this is the first time he has been in playoffs in 6 years.  Cousins is not that far off and comparable to all those other guys though, and they all have few playoff appearances among them and win less than they should.  

Everyone is always fixated on pinning the W/L record mostly on the QB, but its not even close to accurate.  

All fair points, especially pinning the win/loss record on him.

12 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Your thought is that the Redskins don't really see themselves for what they are - which then causes them to not fully commit to Cousins?

If that's the case - what a massive failure.  

In your scenario why would Brees be superior to Cousins?

Edited by White Linen

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

Your thought is that the Redskins don't really see themselves for what they are - which then causes them to not fully commit to Cousins?

If that's the case - what a massive failure.  

In your scenario why would Brees be superior to Cousins?

I don't have a high regard for Jay Gruden or that staff, and definitely dont have a high regard for Redskins FO either.  

I dont know what you mean by "my scenario", but not really sure what needs to be explained about the statement of Brees is superior to Cousins considering Brees is Superior to about 99% of all QB's who have ever played in the NFL.  

Bottom line is this, its not a stretch of the imagaination to say we would have been a double digit win team this past year with Cousins considering we won 9 with the TT and Peterman.  We win the Car, Cincy, and Charger games most likely with Cousins in addition to the other 9 we still won, thats a 12 win season right now.  Adding Cousins and then all these draft picks and some other FA's to a roster capable of 12 wins with a competent coaching staff seems like a pretty good decision to me.  This Bills roster is better than the Redskins with a better coaching staff.  

I used to be in the "No to Cousins" camp too...but after watching what this team did this year despite all the talent that we got rid of, a bad OC, injuries to WR's, and a middle of the pack QB...adding Cousins to this and using all those picks on a rich draft sounds pretty good to me now.

On 1/13/2018 at 1:21 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't have a high regard for Jay Gruden or that staff, and definitely dont have a high regard for Redskins FO either.  

I dont know what you mean by "my scenario", but not really sure what needs to be explained about the statement of Brees is superior to Cousins considering Brees is Superior to about 99% of all QB's who have ever played in the NFL.  

Bottom line is this, its not a stretch of the imagaination to say we would have been a double digit win team this past year with Cousins considering we won 9 with the TT and Peterman.  We win the Car, Cincy, and Charger games most likely with Cousins in addition to the other 9 we still won, thats a 12 win season right now.  Adding Cousins and then all these draft picks and some other FA's to a roster capable of 12 wins with a competent coaching staff seems like a pretty good decision to me.  This Bills roster is better than the Redskins with a better coaching staff.  

I used to be in the "No to Cousins" camp too...but after watching what this team did this year despite all the talent that we got rid of, a bad OC, injuries to WR's, and a middle of the pack QB...adding Cousins to this and using all those picks on a rich draft sounds pretty good to me now.

At what cost?

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Gonna have to draft a LB.  I think the speed Wr, two Dts and maybe Edge rusher could be had in FA.  LB and QB I target early in the draft.  Athletic bakers dont make FA.  

The one DT that should be pursued in Star Lotulelei.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

The one DT that should be pursued in Star Lotulelei.

Yes.  The connection is there the need is obvious.   I would be shocked he if he doesnt sign here.  Still they need another body as well that is why I said 2 Dts.  They will bring in a mid level FA like Thorton last year.  

Just now, Mat68 said:

Yes.  The connection is there the need is obvious.   I would be shocked he if he doesnt sign here.  Still they need another body as well that is why I said 2 Dts.  They will bring in a mid level FA like Thorton last year.  

I can see them spending a 1st or 2nd round pick on a DT as well. 

Offseason Outlook

The defensive line is in need of some work, but I think that the interior line is far more dire a need than the edge. At least the Bills have three NFL-caliber defensive ends under contract for next season. It’s arguable that none of the defensive tackles Buffalo currently has under contract would find themselves earning any meaningful snaps in other places. Especially if Williams decides to retire, the Bills are in bad shape up the middle.

The team would be wise to invest heavily in the position, both with free-agent dollars and draft picks. I would not be at all surprised to see the Bills go after some free agent defensive tackles. Sheldon Richardson, Dontari Poe, DaQuan Jones, and Dominique Easley are all free agents, and while the latter two are coming off of injury (a torn biceps for Jones and a torn ACL for Easley), they could still help. Pursuing a familiar force like Star Lotulelei of the Carolina Panthers would be a possibility, as well. Signing a big-name might not be the way the front office wants to play it, but adding someone whose mere presence means that he’ll be double-teamed will only help the rest of the defense to make plays.

The 2018 NFL Draft is loaded with interior defensive linemen, and with the Bills in possession of five of the first 96 picks in April, taking a defensive tackle isn’t out of the question; in fact, it should be a top priority. Vita Vea, Da’Ron Payne, Harrison Phillips, Maurice Hurst, and many others could step right into the Bills’ lineup and help the team in starting a new kind of playoff streak next season.