Tom Clements: The Better Choice at Off. Coordinator ???

BurpleBull

16 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Honest question....All of the guys I keep seeing listed appear to be from the closed circle of NFL re-treads.  Is there someone from outside the circle (Major College) that might be a better choice?

Yes, there are some coaches in Major Colleges that would/could make amazing OCs.  IMO there is a learning curve there for a lot of coaches in College to the NFL (without some exceptions) and HCs don't value the risk vs reward against a sort of known commodity.

If a HC has more leash on his HC tenure OR they are just focussed on doing there best and not worried about there job they would entertain more of the high risk, high reward potential OCs.  It is just more rare.

That's just some of the moving parts.

46 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Honest question....All of the guys I keep seeing listed appear to be from the closed circle of NFL re-treads.  Is there someone from outside the circle (Major College) that might be a better choice?

Matt Canada - Nate Peterman's head coach at Pitt.  He's considered to have one of the most creative offensive minds in the college ranks.  He just left LSU as their offensive coordinator because the head coach couldn't handle his creativity.

7 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Matt Canada - Nate Peterman's head coach at Pitt.  He's considered to have one of the most creative offensive minds in the college ranks.  He just left LSU as their offensive coordinator because the head coach couldn't handle his creativity.

He's intriguing.  But, to think he can learn to be an NFL OC and teach essentially two rookies how to be NFL QBs is asking a bit much.  You would need a heck of a vet QB and great QB coach.

Don't think it is happening though.  But, intriguing.  

18 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

this is who our next OC should be....not Chud, McCoy,  Shula, DiFillipo etc.

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

McCarthy calls the plays in GB.  What has Clements done to prove he can successfully lead an NFL offense? 

Why then was Edgar Bennett just fired as their OC, if any ole OC can just be plugged in, with McCarthy running the show ?

What was Bennett's purpose as OC and what was the source of his being fired?

1 minute ago, BurpleBull said:

Why then was Edgar Bennett just fired as their OC, if any ole OC can just be plugged in, with McCarthy running the show ?

What was Bennett's purpose as OC and what was the source of his being fired?

You didn't answer the question about Clements. 

Seahawks fired their guy.  They blamed him for everything ranging from the seasonal rainfall to the Amtrak derailment (Seattle fans are not very knowledgeable about football). BUT the guy was smart enough to look at Russell Willson, realize the talents he had, and build an offense around him that worked.  Injuries and dumb personnel moves left him w/o much of an O-line but I get sick of teams who bring in guys who have their own agendas and then expect the players to perform when they may not be a good fit for the scheme.  That just lends to endless rebuilding.  I'm tired of rebuilding.

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Of course they did with Rodgers as the QB. I haven't heard or seen his name any place as an OC candidate for any team in 2018 other than this thread.

Now can you address my comment pertaining to Edgar Bennett's recent firing as OC in GB?

Just now, BurpleBull said:

Now can you address my comment pertaining to Edgar Bennett's recent firing as OC in GB?

Coaches shake up staffs when the heat is on. He's out just like Clements was last season, but the constant is McCarthy because it's his show.  What has the great Tom Clements done in the last year?