Tom Clements: The Better Choice at Off. Coordinator ???

BurpleBull

For me Tom Clements is the guy I want brought in to lead the offense.

Here are my top three OC candidates

Top Choice:  Tom Clements

Former Bills and GB OC; developed very close relationship with Aaron Rodgers and helped lead him to two MVP awards; very productive. 

2.) Mike Shula

Former Car OC; familiarity with Sean McDermott and understands his offensive philosophy; very productive with Cam Newton as his QB.

3.) Mike McCoy

Former Den OC; got solid production out of Kyle Orton.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sounds like a foregone conclusion that the next guy at OC will be Mike McCoy or Rob Chudzinski, but I really hope if available, Tom Clements is another name that pops up in serious discussion.

Think it would be a solid hire. Let's see what happens.

P.S.,  before you go ripping at my candidates, keep in mind that around this time last year, my endorsement of Sean McDermott as next Bills head coach came to fruition.

4 minutes ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

All the favorites have failed at least once if not multiple times. Wish the NFL was not the good ole boys network.

Calling plays is a tough job, I want experience. 

Most experienced coordinators will have poor seasons, QB is important. All these coordinators are dependent on good QB play. 

1 minute ago, BurpleBull said:

Huh? Why?

Because having Aaron Rodgers makes your job easy. I would rather look at what was done without him. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Most experienced coordinators will have poor seasons, QB is important. All these coordinators are dependent on good QB play. 

Because having Aaron Rodgers makes your job easy. 

So who's your choice exactly?

2 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

So who's your choice exactly?

I like what Chudzinski did with Derek Anderson so I always liked him. I think he can adapt and I like his agressive style. 

I will approve of anyone that had experienced multiple years of success calling plays in the NFL. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I like what Chudzinski did with Derek Anderson so I always liked him. I think he can adapt and I like his agressive style. 

I will approve of anyone that had experienced multiple years of success calling plays in the NFL. 

I agree with this.

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Wasnt Clements here prior as OC for a brief time?

Yes, he was OC here....maybe QB coach  and he was fired.  I don't know when...but surprised his name resurfaces here....he wan't good goods that last time he was here.  Now, people do learn and improve at their jobs......but, I would not go that route.   And, I am surprised that not many on this board remember this...might have been 25  years ago.  And, we also know that Alex Van Pelt was here as both a player and a coach....but I don't feel that way about him....would take a serious look at him.

1 minute ago, bigK14094 said:

Yes, he was OC here....maybe QB coach  and he was fired.  I don't know when...but surprised his name resurfaces here....he wan't good goods that last time he was here.  Now, people do learn and improve at their jobs......but, I would not go that route.   And, I am surprised that not many on this board remember this...might have been 25  years ago.  And, we also know that Alex Van Pelt was here as both a player and a coach....but I don't feel that way about him....would take a serious look at him.

Wikipedia says....

In 2004 and 2005 Clements served as offensive coordinator for the Buffalo Bills, but was released by the team after a front-office shakeup in which Marv Levy, his coach with the Chiefs in 1980, assumed the position of general manager and ultimately installed Dick Jauron as the team’s new head coach.

47 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Because having Aaron Rodgers makes your job easy. I would rather look at what was done without him. 

I agree but also having a bad QB makes your job really hard and too much to overcome.

16 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Alex Van Pelt wasn't good either his time here as an OC and that was his only stint as an OC. So what exactly has you wanting to take a second look at him if you feel that way about Clements?

4 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Alex Van Pelt wasn't good either his time here as an OC and that was his only stint as an OC. So what exactly has you wanting to take a second look at him if you feel that way about Clements?

I thought he did a creditible job...VP that is.  Clements was here two years  04-05 says Wikipedia,  13 years ago.

4 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

I thought he did a creditible job...VP that is.  Clements was here two years  04-05 says Wikipedia,  13 years ago.

The offense was equally bad with Van Pelt as OC.

Clements was last OC for GB in 2015.

I assume he had to have grown in that time drawing up plays for an Aaron Rodgers-led offense.

54 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Yeah back in '04-'05 I think I saw.

Second time a charm perhaps?

I dunno man...I thought he was terrible both as a QB coach and OC here

55 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Being an OC is way more than knowledge of plays. I mean lets be honest, almost all the teams have similar concepts in their play book. Its not enough to just know what you are doing offensively...all of them knkw that.

I liken it to being a good DJ...there is a certain feel and flow to the game you have to have just as a DJ has when he decides what song to play...sometimes it can be learned but more often then not its something a person innately has or doesnt have.

A bad DJ knows music just as good as the good DJ and has a lot of the same songs...he just doesnt understand how to construct them together properly to be effective...

Same thing with an OC...they need to understand how to effectively call plays off of other plays and more importantly play sequences both in the same drive and drive to drive in the game to take advantage of things they have found in game that are working and more importantly umderstanding why they are working.

Edited by matter2003