When Was the Last Time It Looked This Good?

Fadingpain

This is as good as things have looked around OBD in a long time.

McD has his faults, but he is young and still learning.  He clearly passes the "basic competence" test of a HC.

He ended the drought.

He was smart enough to see the OC wasn't getting the job done, nor Tyrod, and one is now gone and the other will be gone soon.

We are about to find a competent QB one way or the other (I believe) and anyone not on board the success train has been shipped out of town.

When was the last time it looked this good at OBD?

During the Superbowl run?

This era we are in now feels like the mid to late '80s when the Superbowl teams were being constructed, learning, and growing.

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Like (+1) 1

Still don't have a good QB, and also our OC was just fired for not performing well. The team lacks a lot of talent at many positions.

But yes, I am confident in McDermott and Beane. I like them. Still have a LOT to prove, though.

• Like (+1) 1

I would say what's going on provides similar feelings to just before the Bills got really good. I'm not saying we'll get that good again but somehow this does feel a whole lot different than the past 18 years. Did the Bills back into the playoffs with help from other teams? Sure they did but they made it just the same. If it wasn't the Bills, it would have been some other team and their fan base would have embraced it, so I do too. I also think that there's room for McDermott and Beane to grow in their jobs. They are both young and make some mistakes but they get most things right or at least they have so far. As fans, we sometimes want things faster than they can be provided. Patience is what's needed now with continued improvement. But we live in a world where everyone wants things done to their satisfaction yesterday, so we'll see if the fans and owner can be patient enough to let this thing simmer until it's really great. In the meantime, I for one am just going to enjoy the ride.

13 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

and one is now gone and the other will be gone soon.

Am I the only one thinking Dennison got canned but Tyrod isn't going to be? The consensus around here seems to be "when tyrod is gone" although I can't not be scared to think he may be staying another year. 

• Sad 1

Making a real attempt to get better at QB is a big positive flag showing they are playing with the right FO now.

Other FO dinked and dunked on QB for "salary cap" "Ralph Wilson" "cash to cap policy" causing avoidance of high draft picks for QB's in draft and even moderate high draft picks in draft.  Not to mention whiffing on Russ Wilson who they liked, Dak Prescott who they liked, and it goes on and on.

If is also not lost on me that Beane apparently has final say on trades and draft picks so that has not been the same "picks by committee" BS Levy, Nix, and Whaley, were handicapped with.

Yeah things are looking up. The further we get away from the dumping of clear talent by Beane this past year the better I will feel.

Edited by cba fan

It was looking pretty damn good when Marrone left after a 9-7 year. 

Don't get ahead of yourselves.  There is much roster turnover to come.  Hopefully this means adding much needed talent to the defensive lines and LBs, fixing the offensive line, RB depth.  I expect Taylor will be gone which leaves a big unknown at the QB position.

Lets see what McBeane can do with their first true draft.

Tyrod is still here and they haven't drafted a 1st round QB yet.  Put on those breaks. We could be in the same position next season looking for a OC after this new one also fails bad with Tyrod. Until Tyrod is gone I will expect the same old OBD shuffle talking up Tyrod like he is more then not good enough while drafting another Peterman project. OC#4 working on Cutlers streak of 5 before he was moved. Offense still could be in a dead repeating circle. Rex must be so proud his choice at QB is still the starter. I want to be really excited but I will wait to see.

Edited by xRUSHx

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

The one thing I will say is it does feel like we're trying to get better, as opposed to trying to justify poor decisions made in the past by giving people 2nd and 3rd chances to prove the decision-makers right. 

This is right on point with my thoughts too.

This organization has been very poorly run for the duration of the drought and it didn't take too long to figure that out with each new regime.

A few years ago we had a GM telling us EJ was a good QB and had the look of a champion in his eyes.  He then stuck with him to cover his own ass and neglected other options as a result. 

That crap is over now!

This is as solid of an organization as we've had in a very long time.

The crew at OBD seems competent enough, they have a plan, and they are enacting it in a systematic, organized, forward looking manner.

I can't remember when it looked this good.

4 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Tyrod is still here and they haven't drafted a 1st round QB yet.  Put on those breaks. We could be in the same position next season looking for a OC after this new one also fails bad with Tyrod. Until Tyrod is gone I will expect the same old OBD shuffle talking up Tyrod like he is more then not good enough while drafting another Peterman project. OC#4 working on Cutlers streak of 5 before he was moved. Offense still could be in a dead repeating circle. Rex must be so proud his choice at QB is still the starter. I want to be really excited but I will wait to see.

What the hell are you talking about?

They can't draft a QB until draft day, and it's obvious to anyone paying attention that this is what they are going to do.

Listen to Beane's comments at the end of season presser....couldn't have emphasized enough that we want to do what it takes to get what we want/need.

Study their body of work so far and project forward.

If you think they are sticking with Tyrod you're out of your mind.

If he does remain, it will be part of a planned, short term stay while the real QB is prepared.

His days are numbered one way or the other.

We made the playoffs with one of the worst Bills teams the last 17 years. This team has few young players worth anything. They just fired their OC. The Bills are 0-5 in games Tyrod Taylor has not been the #1 QB the last 3 years. We're about to dump him. 

McDermott is a defensive coach and the defense finished 18th in points, I believe they were close to  last the 2nd half of the season. TheM can't rush the passer. MCDermott had numerous clock management issues and bone head decisions. 

I said a while back that it's a weird season. I don't really know what to expect next year, there will be a lot of changes. 

That said they did change how the Bills are viewed around the league. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

1 hour ago, paulbills said:

Am I the only one thinking Dennison got canned but Tyrod isn't going to be? The consensus around here seems to be "when tyrod is gone" although I can't not be scared to think he may be staying another year. 

It'd be stupid to dump our starting QB without a better option in place, wouldn't you agree?

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

McD has his faults, but he is young and still learning.  He clearly passes the "basic competence" test of a HC.

He ended the drought.

He was smart enough to see the OC wasn't getting the job done, nor Tyrod, and one is now gone and the other will be gone soon.

We are about to find a competent QB one way or the other (I believe) and anyone not on board the success train has been shipped out of town.

This era we are in now feels like the mid to late '80s when the Superbowl teams were being constructed, learning, and growing.

I won't be happy until Tyrod Taylor is officially gone. Then and only then, I will rejoice.

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

He ended the drought.

Fired up!!  You are right on your post!  I am trusting the process.  As long as McD sticks with the process (doesn't get to big on his ego) we will keep going in the right direction.

To answer your question, "last time it was this good"..........last Century.

Go Bills!  GREAT things are happening!