When Was the Last Time It Looked This Good?

Fadingpain

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

It was looking pretty damn good when Marrone left after a 9-7 year. 

Don't get ahead of yourselves.  There is much roster turnover to come.  Hopefully this means adding much needed talent to the defensive lines and LBs, fixing the offensive line, RB depth.  I expect Taylor will be gone which leaves a big unknown at the QB position.

Lets see what McBeane can do with their first true draft.

No.

There was not the sense that we were building something in 2014 after Marrone's 9-7 season. That team had just lost a must-win game to the Raiders. They did not have a lot of young talent or a positive draft situation. They had traded the upcoming 1st rounder in 2015 and the coach and QB were out the door the week the season ended.  The 2014 Bills had an expensive, dominant, aging defensive line, but they were not setup for sustainable success.

last time it looked this good was the last offseason when I thought it looked this good

What I am saying is I expect good things, but been down this road before

Edited by ddaryl

2 minutes ago, Flip Johnson said:

No.

There was not the sense that we were building something in 2014 after Marrone's 9-7 season. That team had just lost a must-win game to the Raiders. They did not have a lot of young talent or a positive draft situation. They had traded the upcoming 1st rounder in 2015 and the coach and QB were out the door the week the season ended.  The 2014 Bills had an expensive, dominant, aging defensive line, but they were not setup for sustainable success.

What? They had more young talent than this roster. Same problem at QB. The biggest difference is we have 2 1st round picks this offseason. 

11 minutes ago, Flip Johnson said:

No.

Are you kidding?

New owner, Pegula put to bed all the BS about moving to LA, we made a splashy HC hire in Rex, Marrone/Hackett and the ultra conservative offense were gone, we still had a DOMINANT defensive unit.  That offseason we bring in Shady.  Season ticket sales were through the roof. 

Optimism was as high as it gets.

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

It'd be stupid to dump our starting QB without a better option in place, wouldn't you agree?

I completely agree.   I think we've all seen what Tyrod has... And he has been found to be lacking.   With that said... He's still better than Peterman or a raw rookie.   So you keep him on until you have a viable replacement.

Perhaps that's a rookie you just drafted and feel can start day 1.  Most that do suck however.  Perhaps its a good FA pickup, but some of them may cost more than any rational team would want to pay.  So... Untill I see who the new QB is, I'll reserve my sentiment that I'm glad Tyrod is gone.

How many times have we said...just get rid of this one player/coach/whoever and we're a better team only to have that blow up in our face?

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

This is as good as things have looked around OBD in a long time.

McD has his faults, but he is young and still learning.  He clearly passes the "basic competence" test of a HC.

He ended the drought.

He was smart enough to see the OC wasn't getting the job done, nor Tyrod, and one is now gone and the other will be gone soon.

We are about to find a competent QB one way or the other (I believe) and anyone not on board the success train has been shipped out of town.

When was the last time it looked this good at OBD?

During the Superbowl run?

This era we are in now feels like the mid to late '80s when the Superbowl teams were being constructed, learning, and growing.

McD is one I was excited about from the get go and I feel great about him at this point as a HC.  He seriously needs to improve how he manages his timeouts and the clock, but those are also things that are common issues with a first time HC.  He can get too conservative at times, like how I still whole heartedly disagree with his decision to punt in the snow game even though it worked out, but thats ok.  I think as he gets more comfortable (and as he gets better and comfortable with managing the clock better too) I think his aggressiveness will increase as well.  

I love that he recognized the issues with the OC and made a quick decision to fire him.  I love how he has brought discipline to the team, but also brought the team closer together and really truly started changing the culture finally.  

This team is set up well moving forward.  We are loaded with picks this year to really start to plug some holes on this team.  And this is about as good a year as any to explore changes at QB with lots of picks, a deep QB class, more than usual amount of quality veteran QB's available, and even a potential pretty good QB in Cousins could be available.  There are also quite a few free agents out there that would be good additions this year in places we need help that shouldn't break the bank either.  

So I am with you, things feel pretty good moving forward. 

I can't answer your question directly, but I can say I think this team might take a 'step back' next year BEFORE becoming a very good team in 2019..not because of the coach, but the Roster:

-DL Williams might not be back, and if he is, his age dictates he will be slowing down.  Jerry Hughes hasn't been the same player for 3+ years, and he will be one year older too.  Those 2 won't be as good as even this year, and who else do you have?

-LB  I can honestly say that without MAJOR moves, this may be one of the worst LB crews in the league.

-Secondary.  They were pretty good this year, so I would expect the same next year.  MAYBE better if they stay 100% healthy

-WR  Well, its as close to a tire-fire group as you can have.  An improved Jones and a Healthy Benjamin get you to an 'average' WR group...maybe?

OL.  Your only 2 guys who are good are Wood and Incognito. Both are on the downside of their career...you are going to get the same or slightly worse out of them.  3 other huge question marks on the line.  I'm not sure Glenn will be here (doubt it) but if he is...injury prone for sure.

RB.  McCoy had a really good year, but same as many above, he isnt' getting younger. You can HOPE he doesn't slow down (and you get the same player as this year) but I think you might start to see signs of him slowing.  Nothing behind him.

TE.  Decent group..but can you expect a full 16 games out of Clay?

QB....if, IF they can strike gold and get a MAJOR improvement here, this will be the ticket to the playoffs again. Good/Great QB play and a great secondary get you there next year...other than that...I see a major step back in 2018 just because of roster concerns.

Edited by mjd1001

4 hours ago, paulbills said:

Am I the only one thinking Dennison got canned but Tyrod isn't going to be? The consensus around here seems to be "when tyrod is gone" although I can't not be scared to think he may be staying another year. 

It depends.  If we somehow acquire Alex Smith, I would say he is gone. However since it is beginning to look like Smith may go to Cleveland, I believe that Tyrod could be back barring a trade for picks. If for no other reason than he simply does things the right way with his leadership, preparation, and character. Having that in the QB room with two young QB's is essential.  If he does end up staying in that scenario I could see him being given a chance to win the job next season.  Which hopefully he doesn't.  You would be hard pressed to find a better backup.

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

What? They had more young talent than this roster. Same problem at QB. The biggest difference is we have 2 1st round picks this offseason. 

No, the biggest difference is Russ Brandon is out of football operations and Doug Whaley was fired.

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

This is as good as things have looked around OBD in a long time.

McD has his faults, but he is young and still learning.  He clearly passes the "basic competence" test of a HC.

He ended the drought.

He was smart enough to see the OC wasn't getting the job done, nor Tyrod, and one is now gone and the other will be gone soon.

We are about to find a competent QB one way or the other (I believe) and anyone not on board the success train has been shipped out of town.

When was the last time it looked this good at OBD?

During the Superbowl run?

This era we are in now feels like the mid to late '80s when the Superbowl teams were being constructed, learning, and growing.

It briefly looked this good a few years ago, right before they hired Rex.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

We made the playoffs with one of the worst Bills teams the last 17 years. This team has few young players worth anything. They just fired their OC. The Bills are 0-5 in games Tyrod Taylor has not been the #1 QB the last 3 years. We're about to dump him. 

McDermott is a defensive coach and the defense finished 18th in points, I believe they were close to  last the 2nd half of the season. TheM can't rush the passer. MCDermott had numerous clock management issues and bone head decisions. 

I said a while back that it's a weird season. I don't really know what to expect next year, there will be a lot of changes. 

That said they did change how the Bills are viewed around the league. 

FWIW...  They beat the Colts in the snow without Tyrod starting.

Edited by wiskibreth
  • Like (+1) 1

im optimistic.  firing dennison was not easy or fun.  but they did it swiftly because it needed to be done.  

still work to do and its very possible the team will win less than 9 games in 2018... but they a committed to building a sustainable football program. i havent felt that way since butler or donahoe

Edited by May Day 10

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Are you kidding?

New owner, Pegula put to bed all the BS about moving to LA, we made a splashy HC hire in Rex, Marrone/Hackett and the ultra conservative offense were gone, we still had a DOMINANT defensive unit.  That offseason we bring in Shady.  Season ticket sales were through the roof. 

Optimism was as high as it gets.

2014 going into 2015 team was on the launching pad until Coach Moron and Kyle quit.

i would also add 2004.  We were 9-7 then too (yeah I know the last game) and won 6 out of the last 7.  Team has some serious mojo workin'. Then we dumped our QB to go with a first round draft pick and we didn't have another winning season for 10 years.  (I hope we don't repeat ourselves :))

4 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

We made the playoffs with one of the worst Bills teams the last 17 years. This team has few young players worth anything. They just fired their OC. The Bills are 0-5 in games Tyrod Taylor has not been the #1 QB the last 3 years. We're about to dump him. 

McDermott is a defensive coach and the defense finished 18th in points, I believe they were close to  last the 2nd half of the season. TheM can't rush the passer. MCDermott had numerous clock management issues and bone head decisions. 

I said a while back that it's a weird season. I don't really know what to expect next year, there will be a lot of changes. 

That said they did change how the Bills are viewed around the league. 

Are you forgetting, like, 14 of the last 17 years?