The Doug Marrone Coaching Tree: Hop on board!

4 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Banyan tree - a/k/a Marrone Tree. Strongest root system, weathers the toughest storms, many branches. 

Image result for banyan tree

How can one be sarcastic and still make the same argument you made. I guess you are being sarcastic? Or maybe, just maybe, Marrone really does have a coaching tree that others on here are unable to appreciate.

No I'm not. There is no tree, at least not one mentioning. He doesn't get credit for Coughlin, Payton.....

I'm just saying Marrone keeps winning without an elite QB.

15 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Banyan tree - a/k/a Marrone Tree. Strongest root system, weathers the toughest storms, many branches. 

How can one be sarcastic and still make the same argument you made. I guess you are being sarcastic? Or maybe, just maybe, Marrone really does have a coaching tree that others on here are unable to appreciate.

Um.

Where is his coaching tree impressive??

He worked UNDER Sean Payton, so it's not like he taught Payton how to coach.

Bradley was already the Seahawks DC before he worked under marrone.

Coughlin was already a long established coach before marrone worked for him.

I'm not seeing why all the love for marrone.

Is he a bad coach? No.

Is he elite? Don't think so.

3 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Your assertion that we are not influenced by those we work with is patently false.

Since Schwartz used fast linebackers before working under Marrone, I simply can't give Marrone credit for that.  I know Marrone's history and Schwartz's history, I can't give Marrone credit for Schwartz's success.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Are you warning me against trashing Chud’s name? I did no such thing. In fact, your failure to acknowledge Marrone’s tree (given his 9-7 season here and his continued playoff success with Jags) is an obvious slap. Beware. 

Nope I'm not warning you my good sir, I'm simplying pointing out how successful Chud's been. 

Marrone has been a solid coach but I am not giving him credit for Schwartz's success.  I know where both originated.  Marrone was a tight ends coach 3 years in his entire career and is mostly known for his offensive lineman coaching.  I find it very hard to give him any credit for Schwartz's success as a defensive coach, especially his linebacker play.  Schwartz was around before Marrone ever was and rose up the ranks before him.  I disagree with your sentiment that Marrone had anything to do with influencing Schwartz's linebackers way back in 1992.  They were at low level colleges and weren't even the coordinators or HC of those teams.  They didn't choose what players were on the team, they played with the talent they had and built from there.  I just cannot give Marrone any credit for anything Schwartz has accomplished through his almost 30 year career.  Schwartz worked years with defensive minds and somehow I'm supposed to give Marrone credit for Schwartz's success/scheme type, sorry man.  

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Nope I'm not warning you my good sir, I'm simplying pointing out how successful Chud's been. 

Marrone has been a solid coach but I am not giving him credit for Schwartz's success.  I know where both originated.  Marrone was a tight ends coach 3 years in his entire career and is mostly known for his offensive lineman coaching.  I find it very hard to give him any credit for Schwartz's success as a defensive coach, especially his linebacker play.  Schwartz was around before Marrone ever was and rose up the ranks before him.  I disagree with your sentiment that Marrone had anything to do with influencing Schwartz's linebackers way back in 1992.  They were at low level colleges and weren't even the coordinators or HC of those teams.  They didn't choose what players were on the team, they played with the talent they had and built from there.  I just cannot give Marrone any credit for anything Schwartz has accomplished through his almost 30 year career.  Schwartz worked years with defensive minds and somehow I'm supposed to give Marrone credit for Schwartz's success/scheme type, sorry man.  

I think the problem with your opinion (and SouthNYFan above) is you fail to realize how Marrone affected others he worked with. Like the guy CrippledCreek said above, we learn from those we work with. Schwartz was a mediocre coach until Marrone brought him in and showed him “how to implement a plan”. Look at Payton - he won a SB but never had a power run game until he incorporated some of Marrone’s run blocking schemes. I just think Marrone’s coaching tree is going through a growth spurt and it makes sense to delve further into what makes him tick...namely, the middle trunk called “Hackett”. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I think the problem with your opinion (and SouthNYFan above) is you fail to realize how Marrone affected others he worked with. Like the guy CrippledCreek said above, we learn from those we work with. Schwartz was a mediocre coach until Marrone brought him in and showed him “how to implement a plan”. Look at Payton - he won a SB but never had a power run game until he incorporated some of Marrone’s run blocking schemes. I just think Marrone’s coaching tree is going through a growth spurt and it makes sense to delve further into what makes him tick...namely, the middle trunk called “Hackett”. 

If Jacksonville wins this weekend are you willing to wait until the week between the championships to talk to Nate?Seems risky. 

15 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

If Jacksonville wins this weekend are you willing to wait until the week between the championships to talk to Nate?Seems risky. 

I’m more of a risk taker and others might disagree, but if I was Beane I’d text Hackett now (before the game) and simply say “Hey Nate. Good luck this weekend. Doug seems to have turned the corner. Wanna do the same in Buffalo?”  You may not have known this but Hackett started in Bflo as an equipment manager. So I’m sure he would want to get back. With his history and local ties ( not to mention Marrone tree genetics), why not? 

When Marrone got fired from Buffalo, that was his chance to cut all ties with Nate Hackett.

However ... three years later, he gets another chance to be a HC - one of 32 of said jobs in the world - and chooses who as his OC?  Nate Hackett.

Marrone cannot be stupid enough (which is clear, since he's led his team to, for all intense and purposes, the AFC Championship game) to eff up a 2nd chance - which most NFL HCs don't get - by laying his neck on the line for an OC.

I said it when he was in Buffalo and I'll say it again - Nate Hackett is an excellent OC and he'll be a HC by 2020.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Payton won the Superbowl in 2009

Marrone was oc 2006-2008

Your assertion that he "won a Superbowl but never had a power run game until he incorporated marrones zone blocking" makes no sense

Why would they not use his system when he was the OC there for 3 years prior?

21 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I see you have likewise dug into Marrone’s history. Thanks. Nice to see someone who understands the widespread influence of Marrone’s coaching philosophy. 

I think i am finally coming around to your way of thinking.
when we open our minds, nearly anything can become real.
Consider me inspired.
and thank you. Means alot to me.
 I will have to watch closely how Marrones comes to influence the NFL over time. Game changing philosophy.

cool fact and spoiler alert.

McBeanes are all over this trending.  ready to hang ten on the Curve towards heavy running and fast LBs.
I am quite sure bringing in Tolbert was a signal of his own branding ,a way of saying hello to  The League.

Give it Time

again thanks BBF for revealing to us all, another insight inspiring , and thought provoking read B-)

By the way, I don't think marrone is a bad coach at all (just a dbag)

My point is that, while I agree that co-workers influence each other, let's not give marrone more credit than he deserves.

Schwartz ran multiple top tier defenses with the Titans prior to working under Doug.

Sean payton is far more successful than marrone has been offensively, and I would argue that more of Payton rubbed off on marrone than the other way around.

(I'll also throw my hat in for Hackett, I think he's a good choice, and as I said, marrone is a good coach, I'm just not willing to give him all the credit some are)

Edited by SouthNYfan

On 1/12/2018 at 1:09 PM, Freddie's Dead said:

Putting Schwartz on the Maroon coaching "tree" is a huge insult to Schwartz.

It's an insult to trees (big lumbering miserable ones)

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Steely Dan wrote a song speaking of a Banyan Tree.

I believe it was ingrained in the Album  Aja. pretty deep stuff. don't discount this effort to have us take fresh look at Marrones

14 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Not  sure you’re taking this serious. But to play along with you, this maze seems to demonstrate how intricate the root system is in the Marrone  coaching ecosytem. Thanks for the illustration. 

Don't you know what a shrubbery is?  OK, I'll try to paint you a picture.  A tree is vertical, see? It goes up into the air. A shrubbery is horizontal. Think of a shrubbery as a grounded tree.  If that doesn't work for you can you envision an octopus plant? A shrubbery is like that, tentacles everywhere. 

I don't think this guy understands the term.

Sean Payton employed Marrone, he's not on his coaching tree. And did you in an odd way say Todd Bowles and Tom Coughlin were on his tree?

Anyways, you could have just asked what do people think of bringing in Hackett and you'll get a resounding, no.

11 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I don't think this guy understands the term.

Sean Payton employed Marrone, he's not on his coaching tree. And did you in an odd way say Todd Bowles and Tom Coughlin were on his tree?

Anyways, you could have just asked what do people think of bringing in Hackett and you'll get a resounding, no.

I think I understand how things GROW...do you?? That’s the idea with trees. Let them get strong and take root. But with this one (Marrone’s) you have to realize the potential before it gets too large. Harvest the proginy (Hackett) now before it becomes overpriced.