The Doug Marrone Coaching Tree: Hop on board!

12 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Schwartz already used fast linebackers before he worked under Marrone though...

Yes but Schwartz used fast linebackers even before pairing with Marrone.  You can't give Marrone credit for that

It's true. But I think it's also relevant that Marrone's year at Cortland State in 1992 as tight ends coach was the first year Schwartz was given a lot of control at NC Central as LB coach...prior to that he had only served as a graduate assistant. IMO that's the genesis of Marrone's influence (and the first branch if you will of his coaching tree) on Schwartz's defensive philosophies: his one year coaching D3 tight ends. 

11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It's true. But I think it's also relevant that Marrone's year at Cortland State in 1992 as tight ends coach was the first year Schwartz was given a lot of control at NC Central as LB coach...prior to that he had only served as a graduate assistant. IMO that's the genesis of Marrone's influence (and the first branch if you will of his coaching tree) on Schwartz's defensive philosophies: his one year coaching D3 tight ends. 

I see you have likewise dug into Marrone’s history. Thanks. Nice to see someone who understands the widespread influence of Marrone’s coaching philosophy. 

16 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm aware, I just disagree that that was where the philosophy started.  Difference in opinion, carry on.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I see you have likewise dug into Marrone’s history. Thanks. Nice to see someone who understands the widespread influence of Marrone’s coaching philosophy. 

It's almost prerequisite considering how much of the modern game he's responsible for.

Geez Fergy... this must be your least subtle attempt at a sarcasm/joke/troll thread yet (that I've seen anyway).  I think you're getting a little lazy dude. 

Yet there are still people that are somehow taking this thread seriously.

So, props man.... credit where credit is due! lol

Ill admit, I've fell for one or two of your threads in the past. But at least it was much more subtle than this one is, and I was much newer at the time. lol 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Geez Fergy... this must be your least subtle attempt at a sarcasm/joke/troll thread yet (that I've seen anyway).  I think you're getting a little lazy dude. 

Yet there are still people that are somehow taking this thread seriously.

So, props man.... credit where credit is due! lol

Ill admit, I've fell for one or two of your threads in the past. But at least it was much more subtle than this one is, and I was much newer at the time. lol 

No joke. 

The Bills are done for the year. 

The Jags are still playing. 

Hackett is still calling plays. 

Enough said. I’ll have some of what Marrone is serving. The tree is getting stronger. Watch it grow. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Would you be more serious and less LOL if it was a shrubbery instead?

You raise a valid point. Guys here think a coaching tree can only be a massive, towering oak. The Marrone Coaching tree is similar to a banyon tree...not really tall or well known, but the roots run far and is considered one of the strongest rooted trees in the world (elephants were typically chained to a banyon tree to train them for work). Marrone’s banyon coaching tree reaches far and many have trained under his canopy. The funny thing is...his tree is still growing. Hackett is one of those branches and I see no reason to overlook him as an OC candidate (what tree did Bevell, Chud or McCoy come from?? Some rotted old recycled barn wood)

Edited by BringBackFergy

4 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

You raise a valid point. Guys here think a coaching tree can only be a massive, towering oak. The Marrone Coaching tree is similar to a banyon tree...not really tall or well known, but the roots run far and is considered one of the strongest rooted trees in the world (elephants were typically chained to a banyon tree to train them for work). Marrone’s banyon coaching tree reaches far and many have trained under his canopy. The funny thing is...his tree is still growing. Hackett is one of those branches and I see no reason to overlook him as an OC candidate (what tree did Bevell, Chud or McCoy come from?? Some rotted old recycled barn wood)

Not every coach needs to have some great tree.  I still disagree about the branches you say are on Marrone's tree and yes, I do know his history.  Some coaches just earn their stripes.  Rob Chud is one of the best offensive coordinators in the game and highly regarded around the league.  I wouldn't be trashing his name too much.  He even took a cleveland offense to incredible heights in one year as head coach there.  

21 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Not every coach needs to have some great tree.  I still disagree about the branches you say are on Marrone's tree and yes, I do know his history.  Some coaches just earn their stripes.  Rob Chud is one of the best offensive coordinators in the game and highly regarded around the league.  I wouldn't be trashing his name too much.  He even took a cleveland offense to incredible heights in one year as head coach there.  

Are you warning me against trashing Chud’s name? I did no such thing. In fact, your failure to acknowledge Marrone’s tree (given his 9-7 season here and his continued playoff success with Jags) is an obvious slap. Beware. 

43 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Your assertion that we are not influenced by those we work with is patently false.

17 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I guess you don’t understand simple plant/tree/vine grafting. Look it up. You take an existing branch/stem, root it in water, allow it to grow like your grandma did with geraniums in her front window, then plant it with older/mature plants and a new crop grows with different genetic markers and attractive characteristics. You’re looking at this as if Bill Walsh’s coaching tree is a sum certain....wrong. Marrone’s coaching tree branches off with rooted plants, grafted vines and transplants that take off. 

Sean Payton was nothing more than a “throw at all costs” coach until he watched how Marrone operated an offense. Guess what Payton did? Went out and obtained two of the most efficient runners in the NFL. 

Tom Coughlin was a cast off...a pirrahna and suddenly found a home in Jax with who? Marrone. Guess what? Marrone called the shots on the field with guys like Nate Hackett overseeing the offense. Why would you laugh at taking a small sample of Marrone’s tree and letting it grow into a strong mainstay of our own for years to come. I’ll never understand why we can’t have the successes of other teams until I read some of these responses. 

Play it how you want. There is ZERO Tree

On 1/12/2018 at 11:36 AM, BringBackFergy said:

Any coach or front office guy that Marrone has worked with this year or in the past belongs on the tree...can't pick and choose which branches are real...they all grow from his roots.

That's not the way that works - at all. Not even a little bit. Coaches only get credit for guys they brought into the league or gave a first real chance to that stuck around for multiple years and learned their system.

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

You forgot to pour on gasoline and light it on fire

Banyan tree - a/k/a Marrone Tree. Strongest root system, weathers the toughest storms, many branches. 

Image result for banyan tree

2 minutes ago, CoachT said:

I'm pretty sure OP is being sarcastic. But say what you want about Marrone and Hackett, but they have won with guys like EJ, Orton, Bottles, Tuel, and don't forget Thaddeus..

How can one be sarcastic and still make the same argument you made. I guess you are being sarcastic? Or maybe, just maybe, Marrone really does have a coaching tree that others on here are unable to appreciate.