The Doug Marrone Coaching Tree: Hop on board!

5 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

Hackett? Yuck

You saw that offense

Here and Jags. Don't tell me about #1 rushing team, that's just being stubborn and running too much. Their star rookie RB averaged less than 4 ypc.

I don't know about his coaching tree, amd I will give you Marrone is a decent/good coach, but Hackett blows as an OC.

You would have done that too, if Bortles was your QB.

I don't think Marrone has been a head coach long enough to have a tree.  Jim Schwartz had a pedigree before he ever worked under Marrone, and I don't think he learned a thing from Doug.  Hackett has been learning over the last few years.  I think he's a creative mind, but I also think he and Marrone are sort of joined at the hip.  I can't see him leaving Jacksonville and coming to Buffalo in a lateral move.

5 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I did a google search and was surprised no "expert insiders" or journalists have touched on the Marrone Coaching Tree but it is pretty impressive. Not sure why we are looking for offensive coordinators that aren't, at least, genetically related to those coaches, ex-players or front office personnel who have worked with Doug Marrone.

I'm in favor of bringing in Nate Hackett for a dinner and discussion of how he would turn our offense around. Not saying he gets the job but if he did, I like the fact that he has matured into one of the bright young minds of the NFL. I think a lot of that has to do with his coaching with Doug Marrone. His stint in Buffalo was akin to a young apprentice who learned how to sweat solder a pipe...it looked messy the first few times but after a bunch of tries, it is clean, strong and reliable.

Not to mention the others who have shown success given their association with Doug Marrone...Jim Schwartz has a limb on the coaching tree all to himself. Look what he did with the Eagles. How about Tom Coughlin's work with the Jags this season. Not sure he'd have pulled any of that off without Marrone (or also with Hackett).

Some other players, coaches who are branches off the Marrone tree would include Sean Payton and Todd Bowles who have shown promise, success, and an ability to maintain a high level of performance from his players.

Like I said, some may not agree with the Hackett idea for OC/Asst Head Coach, but when you have a head coach who has taken one team to the brink of playoffs and another new team into the second round of the playoffs, maybe we should look for acorns from that tree (The Marrone Coaching Tree), rather than the broken branches from other older, rotted out trees (Belichick tree, Parcells tree, Shanahan tree).

The St Doug coaching tree is indeed impressive, Pettine was probably the most successful Browns coach in recent years even though they didn't make the playoffs and he's going to do great in Green Bay as their new DC.

Word in league circles is Nate Hackett is will be a Head Coach soon which is to be expected considering he's done yeoman's work in Jacksonville and has salvaged Blake Bortles career with Marrone's expertise and tutelage.

4 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

What was Schwartz before coaching for Marrone? Oh, you mean the Detroit Lions perennial 8-8 teams? Take a look at his work after he joined ranks with Marrone. The branches extend far and you are like the neighbor that wants to chop them off because they hang over the driveway. Marrone's coaching tree can't be chopped and pruned to serve your own purposes.

this is a concern.
it seems" Dunkirk" is a key word to trigger a zombie army.
now where the heck is my stump grinder. 'Honey !? "

1 minute ago, TigerJ said:

I don't think Marrone has been a head coach long enough to have a tree.  Jim Schwartz had a pedigree before he ever worked under Marrone, and I don't think he learned a thing from Doug.  Hackett has been learning over the last few years.  I think he's a creative mind, but I also think he and Marrone are sort of joined at the hip.  I can't see him leaving Jacksonville and coming to Buffalo in a lateral move.

If you make him Assistant Head Coach and throw in a 3rd round pick I think it’s doable. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

A couple of years ago i saw  coaching tree of Parcell's. Marrone was one of the twigs as was Sean  Payton, Tom Coughlin, Bill Belichek,,

and others 

That twig bore an acorn that has sprouted into its own tree with his own branches, fruit etc. Pretty easy to see how Marrone’s own tree is now a towering symbol of what “could have been”. We can start our own Hackett coaching tree. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Didn’t realize making decisions on what coaches and philosophies to adopt is not a decision attributable to the roots of the tree...hiring Schwartz was Marrone’s call and the fruit of his tree (along with Hackett, guys like Coughlin, etc) are now being enjoyed outside our own organization. I sense some buyer’s remorse in some of you. 

Just because you coached with some coach doesn't mean you are in that coaches tree.  Schwartz was already a big name and a great coach long before Marrone even was a head coach at SU.  Give credit where it is due.  Schwartz wasn't made by Marrone.  He didn't get a 5 year head coaching job because of his success with Marrone.  Wrong tree my man, wrong tree. Is Dick Lebeau under Mike Mularkey's tree??? Of course not. Similar situation here.

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

Just because you coached with some coach doesn't mean you are in that coaches tree.  Schwartz was already a big name and a great coach long before Marrone even was a head coach at SU.  Give credit where it is due.  Schwartz wasn't made by Marrone.  He didn't get a 5 year head coaching job because of his success with Marrone.  Wrong tree my man, wrong tree. Is Dick Lebeau under Mike Mularkey's tree??? Of course not. Similar situation here.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this. Marrone’s tree has branched out considerably. When you really dig deep (as I have) you can see not only coaches, but coaching PHILOSOPHIES have blossomed from the Marrone tree.

”Run First”: that strategy has now been adopted by Hackett (a direct root of the tree) but Sean Payton and Todd Bowles. Coughlin has also adopted it. 

“Fast LB’s”: that strategy has been adopted by Schwartz and others who have witnessed the LB corps assembled by Marrone (and his tree). That limb will keep growing even in Buffalo. 

“Conservative/Running QB offense”: Marrone adopted the ball possession, running QB offense with Orton and now with Bortles. If there is a risk of missing FG, punt the ball, pin them deep and rely on fast LB’s. This is the variegated variety of tree that many try to replicate and even MCDermott made an attempt at it. 

I predict in the next five years, we’ll all forget about “West Coast Offense” or “Ground and Pound”. No more “47 defense” or even K Gun. The new buzzword will be “Marroniac Offense” (ball control, let your defense win the game, have athletic QB to move the chains). 

Didn’t realize making decisions on what coaches and philosophies to adopt is not a decision attributable to the roots of the tree...hiring Schwartz was Marrone’s call and the fruit of his tree (along with Hackett, guys like Coughlin, etc) are now being enjoyed outside our own organization. I sense some buyer’s remorse in some of you. 

Parcells to Coughlin to Marrone. Coughlin gets hired as President. of the Jags Marrone is the coach. I don't think that Marrone can claim his former tree and boss.

12 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this. Marrone’s tree has branched out considerably. When you really dig deep (as I have) you can see not only coaches, but coaching PHILOSOPHIES have blossomed from the Marrone tree.

”Run First”: that strategy has now been adopted by Hackett (a direct root of the tree) but Sean Payton and Todd Bowles. Coughlin has also adopted it. 

“Fast LB’s”: that strategy has been adopted by Schwartz and others who have witnessed the LB corps assembled by Marrone (and his tree). That limb will keep growing even in Buffalo. 

“Conservative/Running QB offense”: Marrone adopted the ball possession, running QB offense with Orton and now with Bortles. If there is a risk of missing FG, punt the ball, pin them deep and rely on fast LB’s. This is the variegated variety of tree that many try to replicate and even MCDermott made an attempt at it. 

I predict in the next five years, we’ll all forget about “West Coast Offense” or “Ground and Pound”. No more “47 defense” or even K Gun. The new buzzword will be “Marroniac Offense” (ball control, let your defense win the game, have athletic QB to move the chains). 

Except Schwartz already had his scheme and used fast linebackers.  That philosophy didn't come from Marrone.  Other teams have been doing this for years.  

Other teams aren't getting that knowledge from Marrone, that's been a thing for a while now. Not sure where you are thinking Marrone has influenced the NFL this much.  

Edited by Buffalo30

14 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Except Schwartz already had his scheme and used fast linebackers.  That philosophy didn't come from Marrone.  Other teams have been doing this for years.  

Other teams aren't getting that knowledge from Marrone, that's been a thing for a while now. Not sure where you are thinking Marrone has influenced the NFL this much.  

Uhhhh, his tree. Not a Walsh tree, or a Parcells tree, or a Norv Turner tree. This Marrone tree is not identical to any other. It is its own hybrid that Marrone cultivated. The offspring (Hackett, Schwartz, Coughlin, Payton etc) are adopting it. I guess we could be considered the guinea pigs but bring in Hackett and we are part of it again. Certainly, Dennison’s tree has been chopped up for firewood or pulp for the paper mill. 

18 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I'm pretty sure fast linebackers and running the ball a lot are directly attributable to Marrone's influence during his formative years at Syracuse and filtered into the NFL from there. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Uhhhh, his tree. Not a Walsh tree, or a Parcells tree, or a Norv Turner tree. This Marrone tree is not identical to any other. It is its own hybrid that Marrone cultivated. The offspring (Hackett, Schwartz, Coughlin, Payton etc) are adopting it. I guess we could be considered the guinea pigs but bring in Hackett and we are part of it again. Certainly, Dennison’s tree has been chopped up for firewood or pulp for the paper mill. 

Schwartz already used fast linebackers before he worked under Marrone though...

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm pretty sure fast linebackers and running the ball a lot are directly attributable to Marrone's influence during his formative years at Syracuse and filtered into the NFL from there. 

Yes but Schwartz used fast linebackers even before pairing with Marrone.  You can't give Marrone credit for that

Just now, Buffalo30 said:

Schwartz already used fast linebackers before he worked under Marrone though...

I submit there is a “reset” when a coach goes from HC to OC or DC. Were the Lions known for fast LB’s?? No...or at least their record didn’t reflect that during his tenure. It wasn’t until Marrone (then Schwartz) saw the diamond in the rough of Kiko and Bradham that we had pure speed at the LB position. Score one for the Marrone coaching tree (again)

15 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Great job! This is my favorite thread of 2018. I’m really surprised people keep arguing with you. 

As you were folks. ????

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

I submit there is a “reset” when a coach goes from HC to OC or DC. Were the Lions known for fast LB’s?? No...or at least their record didn’t reflect that during his tenure. It wasn’t until Marrone (then Schwartz) saw the diamond in the rough of Kiko and Bradham that we had pure speed at the LB position. Score one for the Marrone coaching tree (again)

He had fast linebackers in Tennesee and did indeed have fast linebackers in Detroit.  His teams weren't good enough to be known for anything but that doesn't mean they weren't fast.  Don't overlook facts and give credit to the wrong people.  He's had the same philosophy for a while now