Rick Dennison Wikipedia = Hilarious

Irv

Dennision was relieved of duty as offensive coordinator after thinking that bubble screens to Mike Tolbert were a good idea. Dennison also thought it was a good idea to try a screen pass to the fullback Patrick DiMarco on 1st and 10, on an important second half drive in a week 16 game against the Patriots. Predictably, the play went for an 8 yard loss.

Just now, yungmack said:

And how do you know that?

Lesean McCoy stated in the post game it was a read pass option.

McCoy added that the Bills had two plays as options there.

"Yeah it was a pass option," McCoy said. "We run it twice. We probably should have run at least one of them on the two-yard line. Even if it was myself or if it's Mike Tolbert, I think we should have ran it one of those times. Then again, it's not my call. I don't judge it because there's times where I don't think we should do something and we do it and it works out. Vice versa. I want a running play. It was a play I was lobbying for the whole time and it didn't work. So, I understand."

I still do not have a problem with throwing a fade from the 1.  The odds of something bad happening are very low, probably the same as getting a holding call had he run the ball up the middle.

He was fired because he was calling plays for the players he wanted, not the players he had.  Case in point, trying to switch to a zone blocking scheme when you have a consistently top performing running game.  Also, there were a couple games where he was trying to convert Tyrod into a pocket passer.  Not going to happen.  There was not enough use of Tyrod's legs in the offense and it took many games for him to figure out how to use Shady.

10 minutes ago, BuffaloFan32 said:

I still do not have a problem with throwing a fade from the 1.  The odds of something bad happening are very low, probably the same as getting a holding call had he run the ball up the middle.

He was fired because he was calling plays for the players he wanted, not the players he had.  Case in point, trying to switch to a zone blocking scheme when you have a consistently top performing running game.  Also, there were a couple games where he was trying to convert Tyrod into a pocket passer.  Not going to happen.  There was not enough use of Tyrod's legs in the offense and it took many games for him to figure out how to use Shady.

Dennison should shoulder most of the blame for the loss, but don't forget the horrible punt that Schmidt made that sealed the game for us.  I hope he gets released. 

On January 19, 2017, he was hired by the Buffalo Bills to serve on Sean McDermott's staff as offensive coordinator.[10] On January 12, 2018, Dennision was relieved of duty as offensive coordinator after thinking that bubble screens to Mike Tolbert were a good idea. Dennison also thought it was a good idea to try a screen pass to the fullback Patrick DiMarco on 1st and 10, on an important second half drive in a week 16 game against the Patriots. Predictably, the play went for an 8 yard loss.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Tyrod made the decision to pass.  A pass was not called.

Case in point.

The defensive look dictates the play call between run or pass in those type of plays. It was the right read. Bad execution. It was a bad play call to even have the pass option. Jus call a damn running play.  Period.

Thats why hes gone.

1 hour ago, Socal-805 said:

He should have NOT been given the option.

Exactly. Situational football. Vs that defense, in a game like that, after getting a fresh 1st n goal series, you run the ball.  Don't get cute n throw it, no RPO. Just run the ball. To mccoy or option qb run. Stupid play call.

3 hours ago, BuffaloFan32 said:

While I absolutely think that they should have run it on 1st down, the biggest impact was the penalty and not the play call by Tyrod to throw it. Don't take a penalty and we try again from the 1.5 yard line with 2 more runs. 

Penalty is what killed that potential TD.

On 1/12/2018 at 9:16 PM, Max Fischer said:

Y’all are idiots. Move on. I’m not upset he’s gone but he doesn’t deserve your vitriol. It’s hard enough to get fired but now he has to hear from the knucklehead section. 

I agree with you.  He should have been fired mid-season.   The guy was lost out there.  He should go back and coach high school.  What a bum.  He ruined our season.  

Edited by Badthingsman

19 hours ago, Gugny said:

Tyrod made the decision to pass.  A pass was not called.

Case in point.

19 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Except Dennison didn't call a pass play....

As has been pointed out on several occasions, yes, it was "technically" a run-pass option but in reality the "decision" to run or pass was solely dictated by the look shown by the defense.  It was not an "option" at all -- if Tyrod saw a certain look it was a pass call.

We need to stop blaming Tyrod for the decision -- god knows there's enough to blame Tyrod for -- but this was a bad call, plain and simple.

19 hours ago, CardinalScotts said:

the 2nd and 25 give up....they were trying to get half the yards which is what every team does. This isnt college football.....why cant we grasp that

the passes to Tolbert- he wasnt the 1-2-3- option on the play , it's tyrod not throwing the ball where it should go

the 1st and goal fade- Not Dennison- thats Tyrod again

The 2nd and 25 give up play was a run by Tolbert not a pass.  

41 minutes ago, eball said:

As has been pointed out on several occasions, yes, it was "technically" a run-pass option but in reality the "decision" to run or pass was solely dictated by the look shown by the defense.  It was not an "option" at all -- if Tyrod saw a certain look it was a pass call.

We need to stop blaming Tyrod for the decision -- god knows there's enough to blame Tyrod for -- but this was a bad call, plain and simple.

Its called a Run Pass Option But you’re saying there wasn’t an “option” or decision”.

“Yeah it was a pass option," McCoy said.”

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/01/what_lesean_mccoy_sean_mcdermott_said_about_bills_passing_at_goal-line.html

I guess McCoy isn’t telling the truth...Dennison only called a pass.  

So what that the LOS was stacked....that’s what happens at the goal line.  I guess Seattle made the right decision passing it in the Super Bowl?