Culley should not be QB coach

Ittakestime

14 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

I don't want a guy that never coached QBs, coaching a first round guy.  Move him to a different role.

Agreed, make him the Passing Game Coordinator and assistant HC or something similar. Then bring in Chudz as OC and Dorsey to be QB coach. 

I thought it was an odd fit when he was hired but I do see the connection between WR coach and QB coach. He was the assistant HC in KC as well. With a rookie QB coming in most likely I would prefer a different QB coach. I have a feeling that he will stay in some capacity, though. 

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah I'd move Culley to wide receivers coach, the job he held in Kansas City.

Hes been a receivers coach since 1991. Id be perfectly happy with him in that role. 

I can’t even remember who our WR coach  is currently? 

Edited by YoloinOhio

30 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I agree. I'm not a big fan of Culley. He's bounced around on a lot of teams but hasn't ever really coached or developed any big time QBs.

....he was a QB Coach 30 years ago in collegiate ranks and has principally been WR Coach.....where is the fit?............

27 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....he was a QB Coach 30 years ago in collegiate ranks and has principally been WR Coach.....where is the fit?............

I believe he was coveted for the staff due to his overall experience, he’s an Andy Reid guy and he was the one who wanted to be a Qb coach because he had OC/HC aspirations and wanted to enhance his opportunities. I don’t think he would have made a lateral move from the Chiefs to the Bills as a WR coach. It was considered a big get by the Bills at the time, but I always questioned the fit.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I believe he was coveted for the staff due to his overall experience, he’s an Andy Reid guy and he was the one who wanted to be a Qb coach because he had OC/HC aspirations and wanted to enhance his opportunities. I don’t think he would have made a lateral move from the Chiefs to the Bills as a WR coach. It was considered a big get by the Bills at the time, but I always questioned the fit.

...thanks for assessment bud..............

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah I'd move Culley to wide receivers coach, the job he held in Kansas City.

Hes been a receivers coach since 1991. Id be perfectly happy with him in that role. 

They probably brought Culley as the QB coach because the spot was available and they want to bring him on board.

Maybe the plan was to trudge along on offense last year with Dennison and TT and they thought they would reload this offseason and get a new OC and QB and move Culley somewhere.  When we draft our QB we will get the best OC & QB coach for the young fella!

15 minutes ago, Manther said:

They probably brought Culley as the QB coach because the spot was available and they want to bring him on board.

Maybe the plan was to trudge along on offense last year with Dennison and TT and they thought they would reload this offseason and get a new OC and QB and move Culley somewhere.  When we draft our QB we will get the best OC & QB coach for the young fella!

Yes I think you are most likely correct. Him and McDermott seem very close. They were together in Philly a long time. They were both brought in to the Eagles at the same time (1999) and worked together until McD left in 2010/11. 

I'm sure you watched this locker room playoff celebration video. Culley is the first guy to congratulate (and hug) McDermott - (about 19 seconds in). 

I actually hope that they do keep him on staff. He seems to be well respected around the NFL and I've heard he brings a great energy to the team.

I'd just prefer they bring in someone who really has experience developing a young QB (assuming they draft one...).

I would love an offensive innovator who design an offense tailored to this team (guys who force their system aggravate me...) as well as help the Bills identify their QB of the future and then develop him.

This will be a very important hire. Fingers crossed! 

• Like (+1) 2