OC Rick Dennison Fired

KDIGGZ

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Read what I wrote and explain how that level of regression is acceptable? Best in the last 20 NFL seasons to 14th in the current season. 

Who should we blame for for that drop off?

Let me know, objectively, how the run game "sucked" as compared to the rest of the league in 2017.

The Bills always give us something to talk about. Yehaw! 

I don't see how anyone can take a strong stance either way. The offense is built poorly and they got poor results. Dennison wasn't the first choice for OC so it's an easy move to make at this point.

The next hire will tell us more than the firing. 

1 minute ago, jmc12290 said:

That's not sucking.

If you think 6th in yards, "sucks," then I eagerly await your calling for McCoy's head in 360 days.

If you honestly try to measure the effectiveness of either the passing game or running game based solely on total yards you are doing it wrong.   If you want an accurate picture, you have to account for number of attempts.   Otherwise it is terribly misleading.

I get you are doing that on purpose though.  Because without doing that you would have to agree the rushing attack went from "the single best rushing attack of the modern era" to "just average.     That is a major FUBAR by any reasonable standards.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jmc12290 said:

Let me know, objectively, how the run game "sucked" as compared to the rest of the league in 2017.

He is comparing it to what they produced the year before and what their overall potential was to start the season. Not to the rest of the league. That wouldn’t give a fair assessment of his production with this unit.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Read what I wrote and explain how that level of regression is acceptable? Best in the last 20 NFL seasons to 14th in the current season. 

Who should we blame for for that drop off?

Another problem was our red zone offense. Last year we scored a TD on 64.81% of our red zone trips which was 7th in the league (this year it would have ranked 2nd). This year we scored a TD on 51.11% of our red zone trips which was 21st in the league. IMO it's because Dennison refused to use Tyrod's mobility in the red zone. The read option QB keeper all but disappeared this year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Right. Maybe new QB. And so glad Tolbert not lining up WR. Not just once in a game but all the time with Tolbert lol.

I know right...It was like Tolbert had incriminating photos of Dennison or something

11 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

They averaged 4.1 YPC. They had pretty much the same group (adding Dimarco). They averaged 5.3 YPC last year (and more before week 17). Explain how he positively impacted that running game?

giphy.gif

Edited by Kirby Jackson

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Another problem was our red zone offense. Last year we scored a TD on 64.81% of our red zone trips which was 7th in the league (this year it would have ranked 2nd). This year we scored a TD on 51.11% of our red zone trips which was 21st in the league. IMO it's because Dennison refused to use Tyrod's mobility in the red zone. The read option QB keeper all but disappeared this year.

Good point....the read option last year was very successful...especially in red zone

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Dennison is just a scapegoat :P

20 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

No, I don't.  Why are you not reading what I'm saying.  Our run game was 6th in the NFL.  Who is really the one blinding themselves right now?

Peterman might have thrown 7 picks if he wasn't developed by Dennison.

Run game not withstanding, I have heard (but have not verified) that our offense produced one second half touchdown in the last 7 games of the season, and that was Kyle's run.  If that is true, and is not considered grounds for dismissal of the OC, I don't know what is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

It is very strange that they fired Dennison before Taylor. Why give another OC an option to keep Taylor.

Not sure if they can actually release Taylor at this point? I don't know. It does not harm to keep him on the roster at this point, as long as he is gone eventually. 

1 hour ago, Buftex said:

Is Bevell that good, or was he just lucky to have Russell Wilson the last 4 years or so?  The Seahawks offense has been pretty mediocre, beyond Wilson making huge plays, IMO.  Beyond Lynch, and Russell Wilson scrambling, they have never been able to run the ball very well, their O-Line has been a weakness, it took them forever to figure out how to get Jimmy Graham involved in their offense, and they have never really been able to develop great receivers.  I am not big on Bevell.

Agreed with all of this.  Wilson alone can make anyone OC look solid or better, so hard to know just how much he had to do with Wilson's performance.  But overall, this offense has notoriously started slow most years, and they have struggled at getting their most talented players consistently involved.  Over the last few years, they have not used their best players as effectively they could.  Guys like Baldwin and Graham, in fact, this year was the first year where it really felt like they prioritized getting Jimmy G involved consistently.  Baldwin is very talented, and his end of year stats usually look strong, but its often a few big games that help those totals look better with way too many games where he has been under used.  I think they used both more this year, but it seemed it took the desperation of having no real rusher to lean on to force Bevell to focus more on the weapons in the pass game.  So concerns me about how he used those guys previously.

I wouldn't hate the hire (ANYTHING other than Hackett is better than Dennison IMO right now), but he's not the top of my list for the all the reasons you stated and I mentioned above.