Fairburn: Offseason To Do List for Beane and McDermott

By Matthew Fairburn | mfairburn@nyup.com

Orchard Park, N.Y. — The Buffalo Bills' playoff run is over. It was a thrilling few weeks for a fan base that desperately needed it after 17 seasons without tasting the postseason. 

Now the real work begins for general manager Brandon Beane and coach Sean McDermott. When they arrived in Buffalo, Beane and McDermott talked about not just getting back to the playoffs but building a team that could sustain success and return to the postseason year in and year out. 

That work begins now. Despite a 9-7 record and a playoff appearance, the Bills' roster needs some tender love and care between now and the start of training camp. I don't know if Beane and McDermott are the type to make to-do lists, but just in case they are, here are a few items that should probably be near the top of said list. 

1. Decide on an offensive coordinator
2. Make a call on Tyrod Taylor

3. Figure out Kyle Williams' future

4. Revamp the linebacker depth chart
5. Keep the secondary together
6. Add two offensive linemen
7. Add some juice to the wide receiver room
8. Find depth at running back
9. Bolster the pass rush
10. Draft a quarterback

It can't be that hard to write this stuff.  Just as I've been saying....the Bills have to address pretty much EVERY level of both offense and defense: QB, RB (back up), WR, OL , DL, LB and according to the author CB as well.  In short.....everything!

Go Bills

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It can't be that hard to write this stuff.  Just as I've been saying....the Bills have to address pretty much EVERY level of both offense and defense: QB, RB (back up), WR, OL , DL, LB and according to the author CB as well.  In short.....everything!

Go Bills

Yeah.  It's kind of amazing.  We made the playoffs for the first time in 17 years and we don't have a lot to build on.  

Congrats to McD for taking a roster with so many holes to the dance.  But it'll be a hard feat to replicate without a successful roster makeover.    

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Yeah.  It's kind of amazing.  We made the playoffs for the first time in 17 years and we don't have a lot to build on.  

Congrats to McD for taking a roster with so many holes to the dance.  But it'll be a hard feat to replicate without a successful roster makeover.    

WHy?  If they were able to do it this year with better schemes and better coaching, why wouldn't they be able to do it again next year.  They have the draft ammunition and the cap space. 

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

WHy?  If they were able to do it this year with better schemes and better coaching, why wouldn't they be able to do it again next year.  They have the draft ammunition and the cap space. 

I would argue thaat even if we were to go 9-7 again, it probably won't get us in again. That was a very lucky situation to get in this time.

There were som real powerhouses left out just in our conference. 8 new playoff teams. It was a "get right" year, and teams like Baltimore and San Diego are (imo) better than the Bills, Jags, Cheifs, and Titans. I'm not devaluing the playoff makers, or saying they should not have made it, but it was a massively weird year. We can't count on crazy scenarios going our way every year.

I am super happy we made the dance, but to do it consistently we NEED a QB that can succeed at something besides protecting his qbr.

• Like (+1) 1

Regarding that draft ammunition.... while they have lots of holes, I would like to see the Bills roll over some of the additional picks so that next year and the year after, they have a little extra ammunition.   When opportunity knocks, it nice to have the 'cash' on hand rather than using credit - i.e. your future base picks - to be able to move up and grab a player that has fallen.

10 minutes ago, ganesh said:

If we don't end up having to trade away picks to move up for a QB, then I think our bevy of picks is a reason to be excited for next season. I know, I know, Beane was not there for the draft, but if we can come close to replicating the production we got from White, Dawkins, and Milano, then we should be able to net at least 3 more solid starters in April. 

wr is not a huge need unless we get a good/decent qb to get them the ball.  rb needs to be addressed.  i like sony michel and rashard penny.  we need oline and dline.  drafting a qb is great idea but i am not enamored with any of them.  the biggest need is offense coordinator.  i think dennison gets a pass because tyrod just is not the guy.

Just now, nuklz2594 said:

wr is not a huge need unless we get a good/decent qb to get them the ball.  rb needs to be addressed.  i like sony michel and rashard penny.  we need oline and dline.  drafting a qb is great idea but i am not enamored with any of them.  the biggest need is offense coordinator.  i think dennison gets a pass because tyrod just is not the guy.

The WR corps is in need of a talent infusion aside from the QB issue.

16 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

Regarding that draft ammunition.... while they have lots of holes, I would like to see the Bills roll over some of the additional picks so that next year and the year after, they have a little extra ammunition.   When opportunity knocks, it nice to have the 'cash' on hand rather than using credit - i.e. your future base picks - to be able to move up and grab a player that has fallen.

They should always trade all their picks for future picks and then eventually they will have an entire draft!

2 minutes ago, nuklz2594 said:

I agree WR is not a huge need. If we have a solid starting NFL QB, then Benjamin/maybe Matthews/Thompson/Jones/Holmes is not a terrible set of WRs. 

I also agree that we should build the lines and take a HB in rounds 3-5 because it is a deep HB draft. 

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The WR corps is in need of a talent infusion aside from the QB issue.

Agreed, but I still think qb is more of an issue. If we trade up to get our guy at qb, we will probably have to wait until the next draft to land a top wide receiver. 

Besides, I think the separation stat posted earlier has a lot to do with TT not being a good timing guy, and that caused our WRs to get covered as the windows closed by the time he threw. 

Just now, ColdFront_USAF said:

Agreed, but I still think qb is more of an issue. If we trade up to get our guy at qb, we will probably have to wait until the next draft to land a top wide receiver. 

Besides, I think the separation stat posted earlier has a lot to do with TT not being a good timing guy, and that caused our WRs to get covered as the windows closed by the time he threw. 

No doubt.

19 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I also agree that we should build the lines

Agree.  Besides QB, both lines are in need of attention; this includes coaching and blocking scheme for OLine.  If we do nothing but get a QB(s) and fix both lines this offseason, I'll be content.  Of course we need a RB2, WR, LB, CB depth, but I view those as secondary compared to QB and OLine and DLine.

• Like (+1) 1