Article from Yahoo Sports on Mayfield

DefenseWins

44 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well....every college QB is only seen with his conference performance.

They said the same thing about Mariota.  Same thing about Deshawn Watson.  Went was knocked for little experience and the fact that he faced not even FBS level defenses.  They said Wilson was too short to see over his line!---yet he regularly and form the start totally clowns "NFL defenses".

Those guys all graded out off charts athletic for Qb.  Mayfeild is not.  Thats where im hesitant. 

2 hours ago, simool said:

I would say his handling of the female pool reporter this season would be classified as embarrassing the franchise.

If they feel he has the talent his character concerns are hardly enough to stop the Bills from taking him.  

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Those guys all graded out off charts athletic for Qb.  Mayfeild is not.  Thats where im hesitant. 

Mayfield is off the charts accurate and has way better mechanics.

2 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

If they feel he has the talent his character concerns are hardly enough to stop the Bills from taking him.  .

That is your opinion. My opinion is that based off the people they jettisoned this season and statements both have made several times; character is of primary importance to them.  Guess we will see when the draft rolls around,

1 minute ago, simool said:

That is your opinion. My opinion is that based off the people they jettisoned this season and statements both have made several times; character is of primary importance to them.  Guess we will see when the draft rolls around,

I agree that character matters to them, but I think they are focusing more on flaws that hinder people approaching their job like a pro. Don’t forget Dion Dawkins was arrested to for getting in a fight outside a bar. They decided it was an anomaly. They drafted senors will 44+ games as starters, MVPs , and captains he’s all of those. Obviously if he acts like Ryan Leaf in interviews they won’t pick him, but the early returns are that he is winning people over when they meet him.

23 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

If they feel he has the talent his character concerns are hardly enough to stop the Bills from taking him.  

Mayfield is off the charts accurate and has way better mechanics.

Accurate small Qbs without elite athletism or arm strength go day 3 of the draft.  His ceiling is Keenum and its taken Keenum 5 years to work his way into a starter.  Im not saying Mayfeild cant or wont be a successful Qb.  What I am saying based off his physical limitations and coming from a spread offense he is going to take years to develop into a starter imo.

Edited by Mat68

7 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Accurate small Qbs without elite athletism or arm strength go day 3 of the draft.  His ceiling is Keenum and its taken Keenum 5 years to work his way into a starter.  Im not Mayfeild cant or wont be a successful Qb.  What I am saying based off his physical limitations and coming from a spread offense he is going to take years to develop into a starter imo.

The only “limitation” is height his athleticism in the pocket is exceptional and no he’s not a rocket launcher but he has a solid arm improved by his solid mechanics.  He came from an Air Raid offense similar to Goff and with 47 games played and 2200 attempts there is plenty of film of him to asses his ability to read the D and go through progressions, the reports I’ve read so far indicate he can do both of those. A guy who can move in the pocket, read the D and deliver an accurate ball on time to any part of the field goes in the 1st. 

Edited by Batman1876
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/11/2018 at 7:55 PM, simool said:

Too bad he does not possess Wilson's character and attitude.  Likely the deal breaker for him landing in Buffalo.

Thing is, his teammates love him.

He doesn’t have a bad attitude and he doesn’t have bad character.

Fans compare him to Manziel but that’s so far from the truth. He’s more of a Jameis Winston, stealing crab legs, jumping and yelling on school tables problem.  It’s a maturity level. Once Winston got in the league, the business and around grown men, he knew it, went to work and grew up real fast. I’d expect the same from Mayfield. He wants to lead and he knows to lead grown men he will have to match and surpass their maturity level. And I expect him to do so.

As far as skills do I expect him to succeed? Who knows. Is he my first choice? No. But I do know it’s not character and attitude that’s his problem.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

There is a lot to like about Mayfield's play for the NFL. He is a gritty gunslinger quarterback who has an "it factor" to his game. Mayfield doesn't have a strong arm, but it is good enough to make the throws required in the NFL. One of Mayfield's most impressive strengths as a passer is being able to locate the ball well and throw receivers open. He is very good with his timing and trajectory on passes to hit receivers on the run and set them up for lots of yards after the catch. Mayfield is very skilled to loft in touch passes downfield and throws a very catchable ball. He can be an accurate passer with superb ball placement. 

"Mayfield is undersized for the NFL with just average arm strength. He can have issues reading defenses because of his height, throwing into tight windows, and will have a big adjustment in learning to work under center, call plays, and operate a pro style offense. One big area of improvement for Mayfield is his footwork as he gets happy feet in the pocket. One college scouting director told me that Mayfield's feet are terrible. In speaking to multiple teams, they had second-day grades on Mayfield, but that doesn't mean he won't go in the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft."

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018QB.php

The one thing that makes Drew Brees so great is his uncanny passing accuracy. I watched him as a young prospect throwing at tires and all he did was pass through each and every one he threw the ball at. If Mayfield has that kind of accuracy then yea, sign me up as wanting this kid.  The other thing I would be concerned about is his arm strength as those swirling winds in Buffalo can give QBs fits. Looks to me like Mayfield might be best suited to play in a dome like Russell. 

BTW, Brees is only 6'0'' and Mayfield is 6'2''. 

Teams needing a QB, #1 Cleveland, #2 NY Giants, #5 Denver, #6 NY Jets, # 15 Arizona, #21 Buffalo. Many sites have Mayfield going as early as #5 to Denver or #6 to the NY Jets.

He he has plenty of arm and I've read he has great feet. Bottom line is he is super accurate and is a playmaker.

17 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Is he as good as Skelton? That's the real question.

doubt it.

On 1/13/2018 at 9:54 AM, Mr. WEO said:

The games I have seen, Mayfield looks like a pretty good athlete.  He's no statue.

Yes he looks pretty good but unless you are extremely athletic you dont fet away with that in the NFL.

On 1/12/2018 at 11:21 PM, Batman1876 said:

I agree that character matters to them, but I think they are focusing more on flaws that hinder people approaching their job like a pro. Don’t forget Dion Dawkins was arrested to for getting in a fight outside a bar. They decided it was an anomaly. They drafted senors will 44+ games as starters, MVPs , and captains he’s all of those. Obviously if he acts like Ryan Leaf in interviews they won’t pick him, but the early returns are that he is winning people over when they meet him.

I agree.  They aren't looking for choir boys, but rather guys that want to be the best football players that they can be.  I think Mayfield fits that description (and I'm not sure that I even think he is a jerk).  

On 1/12/2018 at 6:24 PM, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not sure about that. I think they will be more than willing to pay for FAs that fit what they need and want. The players they moved on from, and are expected to move on from, with big contracts is about more than just the money. It was and is about scheme fit, team fit, availability, culture fit.

We can allocate free agents money to 2019 cap. Problem solved. The cap is a jk.

On 1/11/2018 at 9:33 PM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t want another short QB. Unless somehow it’s Drew Brees, I want a normal height QB. I’m tired of having to only check a few of the boxes. I want an all around good player at the position for a change. It’s been damn near 30 years here...Let’s make a move at some point.

Like Glennon or Osweiler?   Are you aware that Russell Wilson, who's shorter than Brees, was responsible for some insane amount of Seattle's offense success this season?  Like 85-90% of their scoring?  As I said in another thread, it's not how tall or short a QB is, it's how he plays.   I wouldn't want the Bills to trade up more than a few spots for Mayfield (say, from 21 to 15 at most) but if he's still available at 21, they should take him.  He would be better at 21 than Rudolph or Jackson.