Article from Yahoo Sports on Mayfield

DefenseWins

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Mayfield is not 6’2. He is barely 6’0. Saw him in person. 

I don't want to discriminate because of players like Brees and Flutie in the past and Wilson, but man, it's difficult for me to see us taking someone shorter than TT.  He's probably my height then.  I'm right there between 5'11 and 6'0.  

Edited by NewEraBills

Just now, NewEraBills said:

I don't want to discriminate because of players like Brees and Flutie in the past and Wilson, but man, it's difficult for me to see us taking someone shorter than TT.

He’s Russell Wilson size but softer body. Needs to get cranking on the conditioning.

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s Russell Wilson size but softer body. Needs to get cranking on the conditioning.

As much as Mayfield supporters dont want the Manziel comparison I dont think the Russel Wilson comparison is close to accurate either.  Wilson was a high draft pick in Baseball.  He is an incredible athlete and his A level athletism is what allows him to evade the NFL rush and make plays with his legs.  Mayfield is an average athlete at best and is not the dynamic runner like Wilson.  The closet endoresment would be Brees but I will argue Brees is more athletic and the hardest thing to quantify is the work ethic.  Brees is at the Brady level.  Brees took 3 years before he looked like he could be a starter and 4 before he looked like a franchise Qb.  The benefit of going second rd Brees was able to develop.  If Mayfield goes early he will not be given the time to develop and I think the sooner he plays the worst he will be.  He doesnt have an elite arm or athletism to fall back on and use to help him while he learns the NFL game.

Personally, I'm not worried about this 'character' stuff, but there is no doubt he is a trash talker & instigator.

Then again, so was Reggie Miller and so is Philip Rivers.  If it gets our team fired up and lifts the intensity without causing a spate of penalties, well good.

One way or the other, I'm sure he'll get interviewed so McD and Beane can make a judgement.

As for height, I think his OL was 6' 8", 6' 4" (3 guys) and the center was 6' 1".  It might be a problem, but I'm sure he'll get a lot of workouts where our Coaches can see what they see.  If they don't like it, he'll drop on our board.  Small hands might be a concern too, but we'll see.

Knowing what we know, I don't think I'd trade up for him, but at this moment, I hope we don't let him pass.

12 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

As much as Mayfield supporters dont want the Manziel comparison I dont think the Russel Wilson comparison is close to accurate either.  Wilson was a high draft pick in Baseball.  He is an incredible athlete and his A level athletism is what allows him to evade the NFL rush and make plays with his legs.  Mayfield is an average athlete at best and is not the dynamic runner like Wilson.  The closet endoresment would be Brees but I will argue Brees is more athletic and the hardest thing to quantify is the work ethic.  Brees is at the Brady level.  Brees took 3 years before he looked like he could be a starter and 4 before he looked like a franchise Qb.  The benefit of going second rd Brees was able to develop.  If Mayfield goes early he will not be given the time to develop and I think the sooner he plays the worst he will be.  He doesnt have an elite arm or athletism to fall back on and use to help him while he learns the NFL game.

I don’t see character issues as much as I see maturity issues. That’s one difference between him and some other QBs who have stepped as rookies and led a team of veterans. Right now, his own team loves him but I know some players on other teams think he’s a punk. He can try to change that perception in the pre-draft process and in OTAs with whatever team drafts him. 

Searching his mentions on twitter daily and snarkily responding to the least bit of not-glowing evaluation from draft twitter isn’t the way to do that. He’s showing rabbit ears. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t see character issues as much as I see maturity issues. That’s one difference between him and some other QBs who have stepped as rookies and led a team of veterans. 

Having a Youtube video out there of you verbally abusing cops and trying to bolt on them are definitely indicators of a lack of maturity, but that whole event and the charges that came from it point to some obvious character problems.

Just now, simool said:

Having a Youtube video out there of you verbally abusing cops and trying to bolt on them are definitely indicators of a lack of maturity, but that whole event and the charges that came from it point to some obvious character problems.

I didn’t see the video but am aware of the incident. Agree that it’s bad. I think it points to lack of self control/awareness that has been demonstrated in other things he has done. He needs to polish his act but, as far as ability on the field, that is separate. But still very important. 

Don't know about Walter Football. From what I've seen, read and heard (scout podcasts) Mayfield has a lively arm, plenty enuf to play at the next level. Not elite to be sure but plenty good enuf to make the throws, sort of like Russell actually. Also the comment about not having good mechanics is not what I see, read and have heard. Apparently he doesn't get credit for it but probably he should.

Its unusual for smaller guys to make it, they are rare, but he looks to me to have a decent chance. 

All of the projected possible first round QBs have flaws. They all pretty much also have something (albeit different things) to offer.

I really wish I knew what the braintrust at OBD is thinking. 

2 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Don't know about Walter Football. From what I've seen, read and heard (scout podcasts) Mayfield has a lively arm, plenty enuf to play at the next level. Not elite to be sure but plenty good enuf to make the throws, sort of like Russell actually. Also the comment about not having good mechanics is not what I see, read and have heard. Apparently he doesn't get credit for it but probably he should.

Its unusual for smaller guys to make it, they are rare, but he looks to me to have a decent chance. 

All of the projected possible first round QBs have flaws. They all pretty much also have something (albeit different things) to offer.

I really wish I knew what the braintrust at OBD is thinking. 

Regardless of what he’s lacking per the scouting reports, in height, arm strength, etc, he’s very accurate. This is the most important thing, to me, when it comes to evaluating a QB. It’s not everything but it’s the heaviest weighted in my book. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Regardless of what he’s lacking per the scouting reports, in height, arm strength, etc, he’s very accurate. This is the most important thing, to me, when it comes to evaluating a QB. It’s not everything but it’s the heaviest weighted in my book. 

Agree about accuracy, but that also sort of makes my point about fundamentals. You cannot consistently be very accurate without good mechanics. 

Edited by starrymessenger

If rosen and sam are gone 1 and 2 we need to get to the browns to get him. probably both 1's and a 2. Now this is a lot to give up but it turns into a normal draft for us. we go back to have a 1, 2, and 3.  We need to fill in those holes through free agency. 

5 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

If rosen and sam are gone 1 and 2 we need to get to the browns to get him. probably both 1's and a 2. Now this is a lot to give up but it turns into a normal draft for us. we go back to have a 1, 2, and 3.  We need to fill in those holes through free agency. 

That is not going to happen unless you want bottom of the barrel free agents.  This teams fate was sealed when we jettisoned all of those big contracts.  I think rightly so too.  We will be built through the draft and a sprinkling of free agents.  At least until we get the dead money under control.

11 minutes ago, simool said:

That is not going to happen unless you want bottom of the barrel free agents.  This teams fate was sealed when we jettisoned all of those big contracts.  I think rightly so too.  We will be built through the draft and a sprinkling of free agents.  At least until we get the dead money under control.

I’m not sure about that. I think they will be more than willing to pay for FAs that fit what they need and want. The players they moved on from, and are expected to move on from, with big contracts is about more than just the money. It was and is about scheme fit, team fit, availability, culture fit.

The very last thing this team needs is to give up some of those first three rounds picks for a "maybe" guy as this team still has many holes to fill on the roster.  Unless this GM is 100% certain that his choice will be the next Jim Kelly for franchise QB...

I can't help but keep thinking of Johnny Manziel who is also 6'0'' and graded as an early first-round pick and Blake Bortles who went #3 overall. :wacko:

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not sure about that. I think they will be more than willing to pay for FAs that fit what they need and want. The players they moved on from, and are expected to move on from, with big contracts is about more than just the money. It was and is about scheme fit, team fit, availability, culture fit.

You are absolutely right about why they jettisoned them, but what he seemed to imply is that we can lose half our picks and fill the gap with free agents.  That cant happen becuase we have enough dead money for two or three teams.  They will absolutely get free agents they like but like I said, it is going to be a sprinkling of them.

36 minutes ago, simool said:

we have 50 mil in space without tyrod. look at what we did with hyde and poyer. we need 2 d tackles. 1 lb. and a guard

18 minutes ago, simool said:

You are absolutely right about why they jettisoned them, but what he seemed to imply is that we can lose half our picks and fill the gap with free agents.  That cant happen becuase we have enough dead money for two or three teams.  They will absolutely get free agents they like but like I said, it is going to be a sprinkling of them.

we had less cap space last year i believe.  they just need effective free agents. a vet d tackle like dontari poe or star latoulei for 10 mil or under. another tackle under 5 mil. a guard under 10 mil.  then a  few couple mil guys. 

21 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

we need 2 d tackles. 1 lb. and a guard

What?  Are we watching the same team? You also need to consider the free agents we have.  Not a small list: https://overthecap.com/free-agency/buffalo-bills/

Then factor in age.

We need a hell of a lot more than 2 d tackles 1 lb and a guard FFS

I like that his turnovers are low, his completion percentage is high, and his yards per attempt are good.

I am always wary of college QB's who have high turnovers. If you can't keep control of the ball in college, how can you in the NFL?