Article from Yahoo Sports on Mayfield

DefenseWins

6 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t want another short QB. Unless somehow it’s Drew Brees, I want a normal height QB. I’m tired of having to only check a few of the boxes. I want an all around good player at the position for a change. It’s been damn near 30 years here...Let’s make a move at some point.

This!

6 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t want another short QB. Unless somehow it’s Drew Brees, I want a normal height QB. I’m tired of having to only check a few of the boxes. I want an all around good player at the position for a change. It’s been damn near 30 years here...Let’s make a move at some point.

What if he is better than Brees ??

You should watch him first before dismissing him out of hand.

5 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

The combine should be real interesting this year at least...

I don't have a favorite at this point. I assume that Darnold and Rosen will be 1-2 off the board.

Rudolph vs Mayfield... I like Rudolph's size and his stats are outstanding over the last 3 years - getting better each year, seemingly...

I think you need to trade up to #3 if it's available - which I would assume it is... I don't see the Jets sitting still and letting us get the 3rd best QB in this draft without a fight... You can probrably add a couple or 3 other teams to that thought as well....

Assuming everyone throws.

The two QB's I want are Rosen or Mayfield. The cost for Rosen will be huge if we go that route. Mayfield has a chance to be there when we pick because of different variables. I still think Mayfield is the best QB in the draft, but I think Rosen is the more prototypical of the two and will be a Franchise QB also. Mayfield would be fine by me. I've seen the guy make every throw, in every situation, make it accurately, and when the game was on the line. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Yeah but he's more competitive so ...

Alot of wanna be football executives on this board would also say that when Sammy Watkins went to the press with his minimum targets request he was being more competitive.  BS.  I think it will be a cold day in hell before you see McDermott and Beane draft a blowhard like Mayfield.  Regardless of perceived talent. With a caveat... If he drops to the second or third round then I could see them playing the risk reward game.

7 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

His character and attitude concerns are in line with Cam Newton when he was coming out, his competitive nature and brash approach are also similar to Newton. So the coach and GM have selected a guy with this kind of attitude before. 

No Marty Hurney selected a guy like this before. McDermott had been with the Panthers for a couple of months at that point and as a newly hired DC likely had ZERO input into it.   Beane was director of football operations at the time.  Your take is very presumptious.

Both did get to witness Cam opening his big mouth on several occasions and choke on the hard one in the Super Bowl.

Edited by simool

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

There is a lot to like about Mayfield's play for the NFL. He is a gritty gunslinger quarterback who has an "it factor" to his game. Mayfield doesn't have a strong arm, but it is good enough to make the throws required in the NFL. One of Mayfield's most impressive strengths as a passer is being able to locate the ball well and throw receivers open. He is very good with his timing and trajectory on passes to hit receivers on the run and set them up for lots of yards after the catch. Mayfield is very skilled to loft in touch passes downfield and throws a very catchable ball. He can be an accurate passer with superb ball placement. 

"Mayfield is undersized for the NFL with just average arm strength. He can have issues reading defenses because of his height, throwing into tight windows, and will have a big adjustment in learning to work under center, call plays, and operate a pro style offense. One big area of improvement for Mayfield is his footwork as he gets happy feet in the pocket. One college scouting director told me that Mayfield's feet are terrible. In speaking to multiple teams, they had second-day grades on Mayfield, but that doesn't mean he won't go in the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft."

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018QB.php

The one thing that makes Drew Brees so great is his uncanny passing accuracy. I watched him as a young prospect throwing at tires and all he did was pass through each and every one he threw the ball at. If Mayfield has that kind of accuracy then yea, sign me up as wanting this kid.  The other thing I would be concerned about is his arm strength as those swirling winds in Buffalo can give QBs fits. Looks to me like Mayfield might be best suited to play in a dome like Russell. 

BTW, Brees is only 6'0'' and Mayfield is 6'2''. 

Teams needing a QB, #1 Cleveland, #2 NY Giants, #5 Denver, #6 NY Jets, # 15 Arizona, #21 Buffalo. Many sites have Mayfield going as early as #5 to Denver or #6 to the NY Jets.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

His character and attitude concerns are in line with Cam Newton when he was coming out, his competitive nature and brash approach are also similar to Newton. So the coach and GM have selected a guy with this kind of attitude before. 

Cam Newton also has half a foot and 25+ lbs on Mayfield, and is still a more explosive athlete.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I have watched him several times. I don’t want him. Im not saying he’s not good, I’m not saying he won’t be good. I just don’t think it will work, mainly because of his height and I would rather let another team take that chance.

9 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

He does not have an agent.yahoo has another story about it.

He’s a hard worker, with a chip on his shoulder and a true team leader, why is that not a fit? Because he got drunk once and made a mistake? He’s brash but not disruptive. 

good points all.  let's all please remember that Jim Kelly wasn't exactly a choir boy in college, USFL career, and early on in Buffalo.  What I like about Mayfield is his fight.  He's got good technical proficiency, but his desire to win is an intangible that he has and tryhard doesnt

12 hours ago, Magox said:

If the Bills love him and believe he's a franchise QB, then I think you have to try to trade up to #4 Cleveland's second pick.     It's an awfully big risk to allow Denver and the Jets to make their selections, there is a decent chance they could very well select Mayfield.     

I think Mayfield is going to be a good QB in this league.

This is why watching Denver during the offseason will be huge. I think Denver is still in "win now" mode, having a very talented veteran team. That makes me think they will be looking for one of the high priced free agents this year, maybe Cousins or a trade for Smith. Grooming a rookie qb might not be in their best interest, as many of the top players on the team could be old/gone by the time the qb is ready to make a big push. 

If they do land a free agent, they will be potential trade targets. If not, we would have to cough up even more to swing a deal with the Colts for #3. Only way to guarantee landing Mayfield if he's our target, as he won't get past Denver and the Jets. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

This is why watching Denver during the offseason will be huge. I think Denver is still in "win now" mode, having a very talented veteran team. That makes me think they will be looking for one of the high priced free agents this year, maybe Cousins or a trade for Smith. Grooming a rookie qb might not be in their best interest, as many of the top players on the team could be old/gone by the time the qb is ready to make a big push. 

If they do land a free agent, they will be potential trade targets. If not, we would have to cough up even more to swing a deal with the Colts for #3. Only way to guarantee landing Mayfield if he's our target, as he won't get past Denver and the Jets. 

You actually think Andy Reid is going to help a division rival get better?  You can't believe that.

Just now, NewEraBills said:

You actually think Andy Reid is going to help a division rival get better?  You can't believe that.

Maybe if he could take some draft picks or talent away from them in exchange for a quarterback that he knows how to beat better than anybody in football. Sounds like a good deal to me if Mahomes is ready. Take some picks from Denver and make game planning for them a lot easier. 

1 minute ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

Maybe if he could take some draft picks or talent away from them in exchange for a quarterback that he knows how to beat better than anybody in football. Sounds like a good deal to me if Mahomes is ready. Take some picks from Denver and make game planning for them a lot easier. 

How many teams actually trade a "significant player" to a division rival?

How many teams actually trade a "significant player" to a division rival?

Im not saying that will happen. It was just an example. The point was that Denver IMO is more likely to go the veteran route at qb, which would make them a potential trade target. The semantics of who they trade for what qb or what they pay someone in free agency is irrelevant. 

Just now, ColdFront_USAF said:

Im not saying that will happen. It was just an example. The point was that Denver IMO is more likely to go the veteran route at qb, which would make them a potential trade target. The semantics of who they trade for what qb or what they pay someone in free agency is irrelevant. 

To me Denver could go either way.  They could go the vet route.  They could also take a rookie.  It's really all they need to get back into the postseason.  Defense is solidified.  Offense has weapons and the OL is intact.   All they need is a franchise QB and maybe a great HB talent.  Broncos actually could try to move up to the Giants spot and take Barkley if they sign a FA Vet QB.

To me Denver could go either way.  They could go the vet route.  They could also take a rookie.  It's really all they need to get back into the postseason.  Defense is solidified.  Offense has weapons and the OL is intact.   All they need is a franchise QB and maybe a great HB talent.  Broncos actually could try to move up to the Giants spot and take Barkley if they sign a FA Vet QB.

They definitely could go either way, agreed. That's why I'll be watching them closely during the offseason. If they don't sign someone we would have to trade with the Colts to get a top qb. 

2 minutes ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

They definitely could go either way, agreed. That's why I'll be watching them closely during the offseason. If they don't sign someone we would have to trade with the Colts to get a top qb. 

Hoping the Broncos sign a vet then trade with the Giants to take Barkley at 2 would actually be good for us because the Colts probably covet Barkley.  If the Broncos make that trade then the Colts would probably be more willing to trade the pick.  However, if the Giants covet Rosen they're not trading.  In any case I love this time of year as we guess all of the scenarios that probably will never happen.

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

There is a lot to like about Mayfield's play for the NFL. He is a gritty gunslinger quarterback who has an "it factor" to his game. Mayfield doesn't have a strong arm, but it is good enough to make the throws required in the NFL. One of Mayfield's most impressive strengths as a passer is being able to locate the ball well and throw receivers open. He is very good with his timing and trajectory on passes to hit receivers on the run and set them up for lots of yards after the catch. Mayfield is very skilled to loft in touch passes downfield and throws a very catchable ball. He can be an accurate passer with superb ball placement. 

"Mayfield is undersized for the NFL with just average arm strength. He can have issues reading defenses because of his height, throwing into tight windows, and will have a big adjustment in learning to work under center, call plays, and operate a pro style offense. One big area of improvement for Mayfield is his footwork as he gets happy feet in the pocket. One college scouting director told me that Mayfield's feet are terrible. In speaking to multiple teams, they had second-day grades on Mayfield, but that doesn't mean he won't go in the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft."

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018QB.php

The one thing that makes Drew Brees so great is his uncanny passing accuracy. I watched him as a young prospect throwing at tires and all he did was pass through each and every one he threw the ball at. If Mayfield has that kind of accuracy then yea, sign me up as wanting this kid.  The other thing I would be concerned about is his arm strength as those swirling winds in Buffalo can give QBs fits. Looks to me like Mayfield might be best suited to play in a dome like Russell. 

BTW, Brees is only 6'0'' and Mayfield is 6'2''. 

Teams needing a QB, #1 Cleveland, #2 NY Giants, #5 Denver, #6 NY Jets, # 15 Arizona, #21 Buffalo. Many sites have Mayfield going as early as #5 to Denver or #6 to the NY Jets.

Mayfield is not 6’2. He is barely 6’0. Saw him in person. 

• Like (+1) 1