Article from Yahoo Sports on Mayfield

DefenseWins

To me bottom line he is a good prospect. He has a lively arm and can be deadly accurate with it. That tells me that mechanically he is fundamentally sound and does not have major flaws like other guys in this year's class ie Darnold. It looks to me like he reacts quite well under pressure, unlike Allen for example. He's short and my gut tells me that Beane could consider that to be a problem, though I'm not sure to what extent it will impact his evaluation. He's not at all a bad apple but as others have said he needs to mature. He will soon be playing with adults and he needs to behave like one. My guess is that he can do that.

A criticism I have heard several times is that he never moves off his first read and holds onto the ball too long because he waits until his pre snap read is wide, "college" open. In other words his decision making does not reflect a QB who properly goes through his progressions. So he allegedly passes up more attractive options as the live action develops and doggedly sticks with the pre snap read come hell or high water. He's quite capable of looking off a safety for example but always in service of a programmed single read in effect.

I haven't studied him myself so I don't know if that's true and I don't know either how serious a problem it might be, in other words is it really all on him if true or just the system. But I offer it for what it's worth because I have heard it from different sources.

Edited by starrymessenger

Sounds like we would have to trade up to the 4th round to draft him.

They should trade up for whoever they believe in.  A polished QB that can function in the NFL early. I dont want us to waste a 2nd 3rd or 5th on a later round qb that needs years of development.

Weve done that from cardale to NP and it hasn't worked. 

We might as well use the later round picks to fill out our roster gaps, or use a few to trade up for a qb if who they want wont fall to 21