Article from Yahoo Sports on Mayfield

DefenseWins

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

That Goff/Elway comparison is ridiculous.  They played in complete different eras and it is well known that offensive numbers blew up over the last 15 years.

If the Bills love him and believe he's a franchise QB, then I think you have to try to trade up to #4 Cleveland's second pick.     It's an awfully big risk to allow Denver and the Jets to make their selections, there is a decent chance they could very well select Mayfield.     

I think Mayfield is going to be a good QB in this league.

i dunno know but anyone comparing him to tebow as mentioned in the article willl make me think twice.....tebow was beyond god awful....havent followed college ball but can this guy really be the surprise in the draft?  

I agree he has the tools to develop into another Russel Wilson. He's technically very sound, has good footwork, compact throwing motion, quick release, good field vision, accurate, strong arm. He will have to tone down his enthusiasm a bit, though hopefully not his leadership, when he starts playing with adults.

Somehow tho my gut tells me that Beane is looking for the prototypical big boy pocket passer. Maybe Rudolph as many have speculated. 

He'll probably be off the board well before we get to pick anyway.

The combine should be real interesting this year at least...

I don't have a favorite at this point. I assume that Darnold and Rosen will be 1-2 off the board.

Rudolph vs Mayfield... I like Rudolph's size and his stats are outstanding over the last 3 years - getting better each year, seemingly...

I think you need to trade up to #3 if it's available - which I would assume it is... I don't see the Jets sitting still and letting us get the 3rd best QB in this draft without a fight... You can probrably add a couple or 3 other teams to that thought as well....

Do we have the organization and coaching to produce a franchise QB?  That's the big question.  You have to pick the right guy, but you also have to put him in the right situation.  Goff was well on his way to being a bust before a new coach turned him around.  Wentz walked into a good situation in Philly.  Solid O-Line and good organization.  Cleveland could draft second coming of John Elway and I'd still think he has no chance of success with the current state of that franchise.  Bills seem to be as stable an organization from top to bottom and in the best shape they've been in a long time.  Now's the time to take a chance and go get the franchise QB.  I'd go up for Darnold, but that's just one man's uninformed opinion.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

Sounds like Mayfield's agent has a friend at Yahoo.

He does not have an agent.yahoo has another story about it.

24 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

“IMO” This guys attitude doesn’t strike me as a “McDermott” guy. That is pure speculation obviously. To me, I feel like these guys in charge would move heaven and earth to get a guy like Darnold. And when I say “a guy like,” I mean Darnold.

He’s a hard worker, with a chip on his shoulder and a true team leader, why is that not a fit? Because he got drunk once and made a mistake? He’s brash but not disruptive. 

2 hours ago, simool said:

Too bad he does not possess Wilson's character and attitude.  Likely the deal breaker for him landing in Buffalo.

His character and attitude concerns are in line with Cam Newton when he was coming out, his competitive nature and brash approach are also similar to Newton. So the coach and GM have selected a guy with this kind of attitude before. 

Edited by Batman1876
  • Like (+1) 1

He's a fiery leader with a great arm.  He's a gunslinger.  During the draft they will no doubt monitor what's going on, and will get whichever quarterback they want.  They have plenty of picks to take their choice. 

Think about this:  what would you have given up to get Jim Kelly?  He was #14 in the draft.  We picked a tight end at #12!!  i would have given up an entire draft to get Jim Kelly.  We can certainly give up a couple number one picks to get who we decide is going to take us through the next decade.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t want another short QB. Unless somehow it’s Drew Brees, I want a normal height QB. I’m tired of having to only check a few of the boxes. I want an all around good player at the position for a change. It’s been damn near 30 years here...Let’s make a move at some point.

22jjno.jpg

57 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Do we have the organization and coaching to produce a franchise QB?  That's the big question.  You have to pick the right guy, but you also have to put him in the right situation.  Goff was well on his way to being a bust before a new coach turned him around.  Wentz walked into a good situation in Philly.  Solid O-Line and good organization.  Cleveland could draft second coming of John Elway and I'd still think he has no chance of success with the current state of that franchise.  Bills seem to be as stable an organization from top to bottom and in the best shape they've been in a long time.  Now's the time to take a chance and go get the franchise QB.  I'd go up for Darnold, but that's just one man's uninformed opinion.  

Yes.  THIS.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

He's a fiery leader with a great arm.  He's a gunslinger.  During the draft they will no doubt monitor what's going on, and will get whichever quarterback they want.  They have plenty of picks to take their choice. 

Think about this:  what would you have given up to get Jim Kelly?  He was #14 in the draft.  We picked a tight end at #12!!  i would have given up an entire draft to get Jim Kelly.  We can certainly give up a couple number one picks to get who we decide is going to take us through the next decade.

Are you comparing Mayfield to Jimbo??? 

I will wait and  see how he preforms during the Senior Bowl week to see if he has the ability to handle being under center & reading a base defense (w/a select senior line up) before  casting my vote...none of this years crop of QB are a sure fire NFL player, they're all gonna need time to develop.