PFF End of Season QB Rankings

NewEraBills

4 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm not a Tyrod-hater but I do believe this proves PFF looks at - and weighs things - wrongly.

They have a unique method of analysis that often tries to look at things in a unique manner. It works really well in O-line and D-line measurements, I think it is solid in WR and RB analysis but QB's and secondary they need to adjust some metrics. I think Tyrod would rank somewhere between 18-25 depending on what you looked at and what your subjective analysis is. 12 is just insanely high, and I am not someone who hates Tyrod at all but that's just an insanely generous measurement. 

6 hours ago, NewEraBills said:

I'm not a big fan of PFF because there are some things they do not account for but here are the season-ending QB rankings.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/final-nfl-qb-rankings-by-pff-player-grades-2017

I think what this ranking says, is that the metrics PFF uses and the tools they develop support Fantasy Football, not the games that are actually played on Sunday

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm a PFF subscriber, only to their basic package mind you, and they do a really good job.  I find some of their statistical and analytical breakdowns extremely interesting.  However, they are a single source of information that one should factor into judgments and evaluations.  There are flaws to their methodology and there is still a high level of subjectiveness.  If you accept that before you start looking at their stuff you will find some really good nuggets.  

I post my Quarterback rankings once annually in the offseason and I will do the same again this year.  

It seems a little high i'd probably put Taylor about 15th because there is more to being a QB than throwing for 300 yards, protecting the ball and being able to throw under pressure are important too. We definitely need to improve as we need probably a top 5 QB to have any chance at our division til the Patriots* implode but we can have a 9-10 win season with Taylor and maybe win a playoff game. If we want more than that we need a new QB we all know that.

11 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

A team will be willing to offer their first-round pick for Taylor's services for sure!

Heh heh heh.

Absolutely. Who wouldn't trade a first round pick for the 12th best player in the league, a guy who was apparently better than Matt Stafford, Jared Goff, Kirk Cousins and Derek Carr, according to this list. We might get a 1st and a 3rd.

Hey, Tyrod was better than Goff, maybe the Rams would trade Goff for Tyrod!! Tyrod, Woods and Sammy together again!!

Have to say, I really like PFF's OL grades a lot.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Heh heh heh.

Absolutely. Who wouldn't trade a first round pick for the 12th best player in the league, a guy who was apparently better than Matt Stafford, Jared Goff, Kirk Cousins and Derek Carr, according to this list. We might get a 1st and a 3rd.

Hey, Tyrod was better than Goff, maybe the Rams would trade Goff for Tyrod!! Tyrod, Woods and Sammy together again!!

Have to say, I really like PFF's OL grades a lot.

Carr did have a really poor year.  I wouldn't argue that one as hard as I did Stafford, Cousins and Goff.  I'm not surprised to see Carr low down the rankings.  

This is efficiency-focused. Taylor will grade out highly in any effeciency-focused stats. 

What these miss is volume. I like to look at passer rating and ypa to judge QB play: YPA is the volume QB's push the ball down the field and rating covers the efficiency stuff.

The problem with PFF (and any kind of statistic measuring) when it comes to Tyrod Taylor, is that it doesn't account for situation.

To make it simple, Taylor only likes to make safe throws.  He doesn't throw it when guys aren't open.  He relies mostly on check-downs.  He likes to take off running when he's not confident with coverage.  And when he goes deep, it's mostly sideline throws where a bad throw goes out of bounds.  This means a relatively high completion percentage.  It means virtually no interceptions or turnovers.  In terms of PFF, it means very few negatively scored plays.

The problem in REAL FOOTBALL is that an offense needs to score points.  It's nice for a quaterback to be efficient and safe with the football.  But at the end of the day, you can't have 5-6 games every season where scoring touchdowns is a problem.  To be consistently successful as a quarterback, you sometimes need to put the ball in harms way.  You need to be able to make that dangerous throw, as opposed to taking a sack, lofting the ball out of bounds or taking the check-down. 

• Like (+1) 2

Jeez, did Tyrods mom write that article because they certainly didn't watch him this season.  Like that second Jets game or the Saints game. Scoring 3 points against the Panthers, Patriots and the Jags

As bad as Fitz could be at times he would at least take chances to throw the ball to score points. The 2017 Buffalo Bills= 31st in passing attempts, 31st in passing yards, 27th in passing TDs. 29th in total offense, 31st in passing offense, 31st in receiving. Only Chicago was worse. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Carr did have a really poor year.  I wouldn't argue that one as hard as I did Stafford, Cousins and Goff.  I'm not surprised to see Carr low down the rankings.  

Yeah I'm with you here!!

I mean I know it's only based on this past season.

PFF isn't saying tyrod is better than anybody below him on THIS list, they are saying he had a "better season" based on his stats this year.

I'd still take Carr with 3500 yards 22td 13 int vs Tyrod 2800 yds 14td 4int

There was a stat in another thread that basically showed you have a much higher % of winning a game with 250+ yards 3td 2int than you do 150yards 1td 0int.

Tyrod is effective at not turning the ball over, and has a high efficiency rating on his throws, because he waits until he has a "perfect window"... Even then he still c*cks it up often enough.

Not gonna win, not gonna throw the TD, if you never pull the trigger.

I can have a perfect driving record and never get in a car accident if I only drive up and down my driveway too, but guess what? I'll never get anywhere important.

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Jeez, did Tyrods mom write that article because they certainly didn't watch him this season.  Like that second Jets game or the Saints game. Scoring 3 points against the Panthers, Patriots and the Jags

As bad as Fitz could be at times he would at least take chances to throw the ball to score points. The 2017 Buffalo Bills= 31st in passing attempts, 31st in passing yards, 27th in passing TDs. 29th in total offense, 31st in passing offense, 31st in receiving. Only Chicago was worse. 

But But Tyrod is ranked  12th in the league according to bsf