Jump to content
Coach Tuesday

Green Bay CEO Calls Buffalo "A Playoff Team Without A Great Quarterback"

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Hmmmmm, how many players are actually left on this roster from the Whaley era?

 

Jesus H., how bout you read the barely 3 page thread and let me know?

Edited by DrDawkinstein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Weird that a CEO of an NFL team would admit to being a fan of another team 

 

 

....now do the right thing and trade us straight up Rodgers for TT to demonstrate your fandom..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

 

Couldnt be more wrong. With the constant coaching turnover, Whaley basically put together MULTIPLE playoff caliber teams while in Buffalo.

 

Re-signed Cordy Glenn

Re-signed Eric Wood

Signed Incognito

Signed Groy

Drafted Miller (who I believe is being mis/under-used)

Drafted Dawkins

Signed Clay

Drafted O'Leary

Traded for McCoy

Re-signed Kyle (multiple times I believe)

Traded for Hughes

Drafted Washington

Signed Alexander

Signed Poyer

Signed Hyde

Drafted White

Drafted Milano
 

That's basically the foundation of this team.

 

Not to mention, his guys Searcy, Cockrell, Bradham, Watkins, Woods, Dareus, Seymour, Ragland, and Darby are ALL in the playoffs with other teams.

 

 

 

 

 

A testament to the great job Whaley did for us.  That 2015 was the most talented Bills team in 20 years, and very deep.  Rex set this team back.  Sure Whaley never got that franchise QB.  But with all our high picks- who would that be?  It has been **** coming out at the QB the past 7 years.  Would it have been better to package multiple picks and trade up for Blaine Gabbert?  IMO it is much better to draft for value BPA.  I do not, nor ever want the Bills to mortgage one/two drafts to overreach for an overhyped mediocre QB for the sake of filling a need

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....now do the right thing and trade us straight up Rodgers for TT to demonstrate your fandom..........

 

Lol, that's actually the thought I had when I read he was a fan... prove it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whaley will get another shot IMO.  He will be vindicated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ndirish1978 said:

 

Lol, that's actually the thought I had when I read he was a fan... prove it!

 

 

.....LMAO.....as they say in Mizzou, "show me".............:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

 

The McCoy trade fell into his lap? ^_^

 

I know you probably hate Whaley, but give the man his due.

IMO DW tried to cater to what ever Marron wanted then catered to Rex and what ever he wanted. He never did it his way and In the end he tried to please two coaches and it cost him his job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

 

Couldnt be more wrong. With the constant coaching turnover, Whaley basically put together MULTIPLE playoff caliber teams while in Buffalo.

 

Re-signed Cordy Glenn

Re-signed Eric Wood

Signed Incognito

Signed Groy

Drafted Miller (who I believe is being mis/under-used)

Drafted Dawkins

Signed Clay

Drafted O'Leary

Traded for McCoy

Re-signed Kyle (multiple times I believe)

Traded for Hughes

Drafted Washington

Signed Alexander

Signed Poyer

Signed Hyde

Drafted White

Drafted Milano
 

That's basically the foundation of this team.

 

Not to mention, his guys Searcy, Cockrell, Bradham, Watkins, Woods, Dareus, Seymour, Ragland, and Darby are ALL in the playoffs with other teams.

 

 

 

 

 

Its a shame he couldn’t find a capable QB. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Hmmmmm, how many players are actually left on this roster from the Whaley era?

Nick O’Leary is a fine back-up TE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

Murphy's pretty ignorant if he thinks Whaley put this year's team together, with how few of the players he drafted or signed are left. 

He could have correctly stated the Whaley built a championship level defense, a top 10 offense and a top 5 special teams. Just not all in the same season, with 2 coaches that he didn't hire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Yeah I'm not saying it's bad. I just found it strange he would announce it. 

 

I hear you. I’d expect that a lot of people grew up with a favorite team, but you rarely hear them talk about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

If you can find a biography on Murphy, he is a very interesting story. I was on his high school team, he was a star in three sports and the nicest guy you could ever meet. Not surprised he would make a statement like that. It's a helluva story making the Redskins as a free agent in the George Allen era and where his career led him after his playing days.

 

I was a couple years behind Murphy but do recall his athletic ability (and his red hair) on basketball and football teams.  Very nice, humble guy. 

 

When GB won the SB a few years ago, my wife (also Clarence grad) and I just stared at the TV (and each other) when his name was called and he accepted the trophy. It finally clicked he was the same guy.  We had lost track of him after the Redskins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

 

 

....now do the right thing and trade us straight up Rodgers for TT to demonstrate your fandom..........

He just needs to pull a Derek Jeter... Trade their best player for basically nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I thought this was fascinating, not because it's about Tyrod (we have a zillion threads about that) but because it's rare for the GM/CEO of one team to be commenting about the personnel of another team.  It also suggests that Tyrod might have a hard time finding a starting gig if the Bills cut ties.

 

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/09/fourth-candidate-confirmed-packers-gm-search/1018451001/

 

“Doug Whaley really did a job with the interview,” Murphy said. “I think it was not confirmed, but he was the fourth interview. I knew him a little bit, so I enjoyed having a chance to spend some time with him. I'm a Bills fan, so I follow the Bills a little more closely than some of the other teams.  “But he put together that roster, and it's a playoff team without a great quarterback. It made the playoffs. They have a good roster."

 

I really don't think any team wants him as their starting QB. There's a reason he took a pay cut last year to stay with the Bills, and it's because it was his best chance at being the guaranteed starter.

And this season he's looked even worse, so it's unlikely his prospects suddenly improved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

 

Couldnt be more wrong. With the constant coaching turnover, Whaley basically put together MULTIPLE playoff caliber teams while in Buffalo.

 

Re-signed Cordy Glenn

Re-signed Eric Wood

Signed Incognito

Signed Groy

Drafted Miller (who I believe is being mis/under-used)

Drafted Dawkins

Signed Clay

Drafted O'Leary

Traded for McCoy

Re-signed Kyle (multiple times I believe)

Traded for Hughes

Drafted Washington

Signed Alexander

Signed Poyer

Signed Hyde

Drafted White

Drafted Milano
 

That's basically the foundation of this team. (edit: And Im not even mentioning starters who I dont like, such as Mills and Preston Brown, who are yet still starters on our Playoff team).

 

Not to mention, his guys Searcy, Cockrell, Bradham, Watkins, Woods, Dareus, Seymour, Ragland, and Darby are ALL in the playoffs with other teams.

 

 

 

 

 

Honestly, I really don't get the hate for Whaley. 

 

That said, I wouldn't give him credit for this years draft, and would put Nix's last draft on him. That is just how I feel about the lame-duck GMs, who are basically replaced before the draft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

 

Bills made the playoffs despite the roster Whaley left, certainly not because of it.

That roster was torn down by McDermott and company so which is it?

 

Whaley was a good evaluator of talent. His problem was being QB blind and Rex Ryan.

Edited by ScottLaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Pete said:

A testament to the great job Whaley did for us.  That 2015 was the most talented Bills team in 20 years, and very deep.  Rex set this team back.  Sure Whaley never got that franchise QB.  But with all our high picks- who would that be?  It has been **** coming out at the QB the past 7 years.  Would it have been better to package multiple picks and trade up for Blaine Gabbert?  IMO it is much better to draft for value BPA.  I do not, nor ever want the Bills to mortgage one/two drafts to overreach for an overhyped mediocre QB for the sake of filling a need

 

True, but there have been non-overhyped mediocre QB's that would've been worth trading away picks for during his tenure. 

Still not saying he sucked, he didn't, but we also can't ignore there were QB's there that would've been worth trading up for (or just having fall into our lap).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

That roster was torn down by McDermott and company so which is it?

It's "they made the playoffs after 17 years by trashing virtually everything that Whaley did."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

He just needs to pull a Derek Jeter... Trade their best player for basically nothing. 

 

 

....LMAO...unbelievable isn't it?.....he's the Marlins' Matt Millen....uh oh.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

 

True, but there have been non-overhyped mediocre QB's that would've been worth trading away picks for during his tenure. 
 

such as?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, klos63 said:

He could have correctly stated the Whaley built a championship level defense

 

Complete bulls*&t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, QCity said:

 

Complete bulls*&t.

Why...the 2014 defense was really good...all we talked about was we would have been a playoff team with just a decent offense that season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pete said:

such as?

 

QB's worth trading up for that weren't mediocre that he could've tried to trade up for or just fall into his lap when he was GM?

Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo, AJ McCarron (maybe), Jameis Winston (maybe), Marcus Mariota (maybe), Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Dak Prescott, Patrick Mahomes (maybe), Deshaun Watson... 

Again, some of those we passed on (several times), some we would've had to trade up for, but those are all guys that could've been targeted had he wanted to that he didn't go after.

1 minute ago, nucci said:

Why...the 2014 defense was really good...all we talked about was we would have been a playoff team with just a decent offense that season.

 

Yes, if people look back at predictions leading into the 2015 season, people all said "just a QB away" from being a viable contender in the AFC playoff picture. We were the "hot" pick by many people, and with Rex supposedly being a defensive guru, the expectations were sky-high that we'd field a loaded team absent of a QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KzooMike said:

 

You might be surprised how many current 30-40 year old's grew up as Bills fans during the Kelly era and stayed with the team. They had a large national presence in that era. Wasn't uncommon for them to be on national TV 75% of the games. 

I have lived in Washington DC, Seattle, Chicago and Houston over a period of 35 years.  I have always found BILLS groups, and we were ALL from the area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Hmmmmm, how many players are actually left on this roster from the Whaley era?

And why do the Bills have a league high in dead cap money? $18M, that sucks! That a franchise LT and WR money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×